Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 276093 times)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #1050 on: 14:43:52, 24/03/20 »
This morning I did a local walk from home around nearby quiet lanes and I spotted my first butterfly of the year - a Peacock.

It stayed still long enough for me to take a photo with my phone...  :)

Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1051 on: 17:43:01, 24/03/20 »
Good to see an early butterfly. Spotted a couple of ladybirds in the garden yesterday.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1052 on: 17:54:02, 24/03/20 »
Had to get up to let a bumblebee that was trapped in the bedroom out, yesterday. There was a sharp frost outside, hope he was alright.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1053 on: 17:57:54, 24/03/20 »
I was in my shed today planting trays of seeds and there seemed to be constant procession of very fat bumble bees coming in and out.  Of course, it could be the same one each time, these bumble bees all look the same to me.
Solvitur Ambulando

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1054 on: 20:42:11, 24/03/20 »
During my walk at the weekend there were clumps and carpets (well rugs) of snowdrops. There were some daffodils that were starting to go into bud and a few croci in flower. Despite an excellent winter for weather, I suspect our spring is a bit behind England.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1055 on: 20:46:59, 24/03/20 »
During my walk at the weekend there were clumps and carpets (well rugs) of snowdrops. There were some daffodils that were starting to go into bud and a few croci in flower. Despite an excellent winter for weather, I suspect our spring is a bit behind England.
You could say that, our snowdrops and crocuses are well on their way out now.  Daffs have been out since January and are still going strong (not the same ones).  Primroses have been really good this year too.
Solvitur Ambulando

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1056 on: 07:22:20, 25/03/20 »
Primroses have been really good this year too.
There does seem to be a lot this year.
Daffodils are strange ones, there is a variety that flowers in December [Rijnveld’s Early Sensation].

I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1057 on: 08:09:28, 25/03/20 »
I was looking forward to the Early Purple orchids that look so pretty sharing the Devon banks with the primroses which are superb this year in Devon as Ninthace said.

Brimstone butterflies seen a in a brief sunny moment couple of weeks ago.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

watershed

« Reply #1058 on: 10:16:56, 25/03/20 »
Slowly trying to get back walking.
I nicked my back on Friday bending over to tie my laces. I got the last appointment of the day with my Chiropractor who gave me "the works". Acupuncture and what limited manipulation the torn muscle could safely take. She is now closed due to the VIRUS lock down, unfortunate, as In my situation she is an essential worker :)
 I could have done with another session with her. (still shouldn't be selfish. If there is a time to have an injury restricting your walking this is it)
I have managed a couple of "very careful" 2 milers with my family, as part of our daily exercise allowance.
TBO the public seem to be sticking to the guidelines extremely well up here. Although when I get back to my usual walking routes, in the hills and coast, I never meet anyone anyway.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1059 on: 12:32:13, 25/03/20 »
Went out for our government sanctioned exercise today.  There are a couple of roads in and near our village that I would normally never consider for a walk as they are a bit on the narrow side in places and the traffic fairly flies along them.  However, since the lock down there is a lot less traffic and they were perfectly safe today.  About 3 miles of our walk were on these sort of roads and we only saw 3 cars, one lorry and a tractor.  As a bonus, the weather was gorgeous and on the way round we did a bit of farm gate shopping - came home with half a dozen eggs.
Solvitur Ambulando

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1060 on: 18:30:53, 25/03/20 »
There does seem to be a lot this year.
Daffodils are strange ones, there is a variety that flowers in December [Rijnveld’s Early Sensation].
Nothing flowers in December in Aberdeenshire.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1061 on: 18:52:18, 25/03/20 »
Nothing flowers in December in Aberdeenshire.
True, not even the women.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1062 on: 09:31:33, 26/03/20 »
Will walk around the local neighbourhood once more.

I enjoy it being much quieter and it is as if there is more time to say hello to strangers, and feels like there is less rushing around. Bearing in mind I live in a southern suburb of Birmingham.

Even though it is less than half a mile from rural land it can feel very City like most of the time. So this calm makes for a lovely change.
« Last Edit: 09:35:44, 26/03/20 by GinAndPlatonic »
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Oldtramp

« Reply #1063 on: 15:16:46, 26/03/20 »
I am amusing myself by trying to follow the course of the ruinous old city wall round Norwich. There are a few half decent sections left.  Yesterday I found a swan nesting beside the (no longer visible) riverside section, with one egg so far.  Less positively a pigeon shat on me when I was surveying a ruinous tower.   Today I found a fragment of wall I missed yesterday and found a bakery that sold good croissants, also, when I missed my line, a flint-walled church with a round tower, common enough in country Norfolk, but not in the city. 
« Last Edit: 16:07:05, 26/03/20 by Oldtramp »

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1064 on: 19:04:31, 26/03/20 »
I am amusing myself by trying to follow the course of the ruinous old city wall round Norwich.
I went to the cinema in Norwich.  Got back to my car and found the Park and Ride had locked the gates.
Was alright, I managed to punch a hole in the hedge and get out.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy