Author Topic: On Channel 5 - Robson Green Walks Hadrian Wall  (Read 4998 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: On Channel 5 - Robson Green Walks Hadrian Wall
« Reply #15 on: 10:21:26, 24/01/21 »
I watched Ep1 last night, yes, easy to watch and listen too but for me, hiking programmes always frustrate me because they don't concentrate on the hiking. They keep veering off to do other things, for example, what was that 5-10 secs of cycling about? I find that what irritates me most is when they say when observing someone with a particular skill, "Can I have a go."

I'll carry on watching it though, I've walked the Pennine Way section more than once and have walked from Carlisle to Housesteads before so that area is of particular interest to me.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 10:24:21, 24/01/21 »
In some ways, I think the BBC, C4 C5 filmmakers etc should have a look at some of the homemade YouTube and Vimeo hiking videos, some of them are really excellent.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 14:46:57, 24/01/21 »
I think this one seems to be a bit more natural than some walking programmes. And Robson Green seems to be enjoying it.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 14:57:17, 06/02/21 »
So who knew about the phallic graffiti on Hadrian’s Wall? I’m going to have to go back and find it now!  ;D

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 15:44:31, 06/02/21 »
So who knew about the phallic graffiti on Hadrian’s Wall? I’m going to have to go back and find it now!  ;D

Mel will be there before you  :)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 08:24:19, 09/02/21 »

;D  I knew about it but they are difficult to spot unless you know where they are. I've not looked for them  :)

I really enjoyed this series and Robson Green has a new fan, he makes me laugh; I love his gentle brand of Northumbrian humour. I also was delighted he made a trip to my local walk in Gelt Woods to see the Roman Inscribed Rock that I've never been able to see because it is only accessible by using ropes.
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 09:49:09, 19/02/21 »
they are difficult to spot unless you know where they are.
I'm not surprised that phalluses are hard to spot up there, it's blooming freezing on Hadrian's Wall most of the time.

I got round to watching the final episode yesterday and have enjoyed them, I would definitely look out for any more that he does. I liked the gentle self deprecating humour

Minor criticisms.
The programme, as all walking programmes do, added in lots that wasn't walking. Perhaps they think that just walking isn't interesting enough to fill hours of TV time and they may be right.
It also had a bit of what I call the 'Go-With-Noakes phenomenon' where you happen to bump in to someone who is the world bagpipe playing champion, say hello and suddenly you are in full Highland dress with the massed pipes and drums of the Coldstream Guards. I may exaggerate slightly.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 18:45:51, 19/02/21 »
I liked the gentle self deprecating humour

Me too, this is typical Northumbrian humour and I certainly would watch anything else he is in.

(except fishing programmes :) )

suddenly you are in full Highland dress with the massed pipes and drums of the Coldstream Guards. I may exaggerate slightly.

;D  Only slightly

Hate will never win

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 21:25:23, 19/02/21 »
Bagpipes are quite the thing in Northumberland. There are a few pipe bands in the area, as well as the more sophisticated playing of the Northumbrian pipes, which tend not to be played en masse.
Too little, too late, too bad......

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 08:16:29, 20/02/21 »
Bagpipes are quite the thing in Northumberland. There are a few pipe bands in the area, as well as the more sophisticated playing of the Northumbrian pipes, which tend not to be played en masse.

Ah yes, the Northumbrian Pipes - saw Kathryn Tickell many years ago in Llangollen, of all places. Magical.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 10:46:51, 20/02/21 »

saw Kathryn Tickell many years ago . . . Magical.

Ah, a fellow fan!  :)

Skip

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy