Author Topic: Sierra Nevada / Alpujarras  (Read 3114 times)

gar303

Sierra Nevada / Alpujarras
« on: 18:07:41, 06/03/15 »
Actually bought flights to Malaga mid April, the idea being to go walking here

I've been looking on Trek Sierra Nevada (excellent website) and would like to do the Trevelez - Capieleria - Busquisatr circuit but wondering whether winter gear and expertise will be needed.  From memory I think the route goes up to about 2500m at highest...Anybody where the snowline is at that time of year?  Open to other suggestions in that part of the world for a multi day walk, either circular or linear.

Gonna be a nightmare to pack, everything from shorts an t shirts to fleeces, waterproofs and whatever else.  Only got a 45lt pack :(

thelifeofriley

Re: Sierra Nevada / Alpujarras
« Reply #1 on: 15:29:30, 08/03/15 »
Gar, I live in Lanjaron at the western end of the Alpujarra, currently there is little snow below 2,500m and it's retreating  quite fast up the mountain . Its T shirt weather mid day but cooler at night. I was on the Busquistar section of your trip with clients last week and its all well below the snow line and looking great. For  a local weather forecast I use  http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/prediccion/municipios/lanjaron-id18116   which is good. 
 Re multi day, All section of the GR7 will be clear as will the GR240 Sulayr route on the south of the range, both of these are on the Sierra Nevada. The GR 142 runs lower down west to east through the Alpujarra linking villages and has some nice circuits , not sure about accommodation on this route though.

'' a mountain view on life''

thelifeofriley

« Reply #2 on: 15:31:22, 08/03/15 »
PS get in touch if you want some more info [email protected] 

gar303

« Reply #3 on: 19:59:19, 08/03/15 »
Excellent, i knew there was somebody on here that knew a bit.  Cheers for the weather link

Trying to avoid hiring a car, largely as no one will give me a credit card  >:( The plan is bus from Granada to whicever of those villages makes most sense, 3 days walking then head to Malaga.  Is it fairly easy to get public transport to Malaga?  For some reason I'm assuming Orgiva would be the main transport hub...done a fair bit of independant traveling so comfortable working out some of it as i go along

thelifeofriley

« Reply #4 on: 16:01:15, 09/03/15 »
Public transport is OK check out www.alsa.es  for details , there are regular buses from Malaga inland   to Granada  or to Motril on the coast  then its a bit more difficiult to get to Orgiva  but from there buses run up into the higher villages . There is also one bus day from Malaga airport to Lanjaron via the coast to  Motril then via Orgiva, it takes about 3 hours. Most people I know head for Granada and then on. Good luck 

gar303

« Reply #5 on: 08:06:08, 10/03/15 »
yup, we're heading to Granada to start with but would rather avoid retracing steps on the way back to Malaga.
thanks for the help, flying 5 weeks today 8)

any fiestas or owt worth checking out round then? had a quick look about but cant see anything

gar303

« Reply #6 on: 19:01:47, 25/04/15 »
I've just spent 2 hours putting together a trip report, only to hit submit to find the forum had logged me out and everything was lost, [censored].  Not doing it again! In short, got sick, couldn't do the Capileria - Trevelez - Pitres trekking, caught buses between them.  Felt well enough one day to climb Pico Del Fuenta Fria (12.5km/1100m ascent) which given I was ill alsmost killed me.  The guide book / map i was using said it was 800m of ascent and that 300m extra (according to GPS & map work afterwards) really makes the difference

On the bright side I've got the Andalucian & Alpujarras bug, and given i couldn't do what I'd planned to do I'll just have to go back and try again

Pics here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/119628567@N06/sets/72157652108695095/

tyreon

« Reply #7 on: 15:32:41, 24/10/16 »
LifeofRiley: You live in Lanjaron!! Just left the place. No shortage of places to fill your water bottles there. Give my regards to Sylvia at the Mirimar hotel. She was just about to shut up shop for the year and on countdown till she goes down to Malaga. Went on one or two walks around the area. Would have loved to do more but now wondering if the knees and stamina can do it: I like the moving on walks rather than the circular jobs.
Looked at some Cicerone book on walking some Spanish GR something or other. He said the way was marked...well,sortof!! He said at some places the the signage isn't that good and the path can divide into x5 routes. No worries,if you go up the wrong route you just return and go up the other. Are you kidding!! I hate that.I never like to retrace my steps,and theseadays I'm too exhausted. Taking that adviced I'd never arrive at a set destination or be out till sunset!!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy