Author Topic: GPS that works with OS maps like memory map  (Read 1510 times)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
GPS that works with OS maps like memory map
« on: 22:42:05, 23/03/08 »
In theory an easy one, but I own several memory maps maps (and at £80 a pop they're not cheap).

I was looking at the Road Angel adventurer 7000. Anyone have any thoughts?

I tend to use map and  compass and my mate has the gps so a bit of a mix and match. Still best of all worlds. We tend to use memory map as a 'live' map really, works for us.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Wilko

Re: GPS that works with OS maps like memory map
« Reply #1 on: 09:48:54, 25/03/08 »
I'm assuming you're talking about having an actual Explorer or Landranger map appear on a GPS screen rather than just the routes you've planned in the software.

In that case (and trying to look at this objectively) as far as I know, the Road Angel is the only one you can load the actual maps from Memory Map onto.

Other GPS units, such as Garmin, use their own proprietry mapping software like TOPO.

The Road Angel comes with all the National Parks (at 1:50,000) pre-loaded plus you can load your own Memory Map Landranger or Explorer maps onto it.

It can still be used as a standard "on-the-road" GPS with voice directions and safety camera alerts.

Memory-Map also say it is waterproof and rugged for outdoor use but just how rugged I wouldn't like to say.

I do like the new Satmap Active 10 which has been designed from scratch for outdoor use, but it's £300 PLUS you still have to buy the mapping for it at nearly £100 a go.

I think if you have quite a few Memory Map CD's, the Adventurer will not only be the best one to put them to use but probably the only one that will accept the maps on-screen.

If any one knows any different, hopefully they'll let us know.

David

Dazza

• Veteran Member
Re: GPS that works with OS maps like memory map
« Reply #2 on: 20:35:48, 02/04/08 »
That's basically what I've found. I don't use the GPS for route planning as such which is why the Garmins et al aren't of huge value to me. That and having a live map view is useful if you want to detour / cut short etc.

Already having a few of the 1:25k maps already I'd rather not have to throw the lot away.

I use it as a backup to using a map and for generating routes for walking reports (which reminds me).

It' supposed to be fairly water proof but a little fragile (i.e. if you drop it on a rock don't expect the screen to be all too healthy, perhaps not too surprising) but the carry case is supposed to help. Motor World currently have it for £219 inc vat with memory map and the parks bundle. Off there friday I'll let everyone know what I think when it's been given a test drive.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy