Author Topic: Good Shops for Hiking Boots in London?  (Read 12096 times)

spikes

Good Shops for Hiking Boots in London?
« on: 20:21:20, 26/03/08 »
Hello all. My dad is coming down to London hoping to get some gear for a 6 week walking trip in Nepal. He's looking to buy some hiking boots, and is at a loss as to which shops are best to take a look in.
Any suggestions?

thanks
        Joe

P.S. He feels that boots that he's tried on so far have been a little narrow. Any suggestions for boots that might be able to accommodate his slab-like feet..................

Snowman

Re: Good Shops for Hiking Boots in London?
« Reply #1 on: 22:47:11, 26/03/08 »
Your best bet (to my knowledge) is to go to Covent Garden.    On the south side, or on the other side of the market from the underground station, are a number of outdoor shops all grouped near to each other.   It's like a mini Ambleside.

Some of the shops seem to change name (but are still outdoor shops), but last time I was there Field and Trek, and Ellis Brigham were both there.    Personally I don't particularly like Ellis Brigham because I once went there wanting boots (B2/3) to take crampons.   It was midwinter, which I would assume would be when a serious outdoor retailer should be stocking such boots, however the bloke who 'served' me didn't appear to understand what a crampon was.   My impression was that winter was for skiing, so what would you do with a crampon?   Well guys the door is over there.    But then perhaps in springtime they start to recruit walkers instead?

S.

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 23:31:47, 26/03/08 »
Also at Covent Garden (see the previous post) there's a rather small Field&Trek which is about two shops up the street where Ellis Brigham (mentioned in the previous post) is on the corner - I can't at this moment think of the name of the street, begins with a M - Maiden Lane? Anyway, it's not that important, you can see the shop it's that close.  Further along the same street there's a shop called Kathmandu, sells some major brands. 

Also in the same area is a branch of Snow+Rock, on four floors, that's easily missed as it's in a narrow turning off Long Acre (that's the street Covent Garden tube station is in) - head past the station in the direction of Stanford's map shop in Long Acre (here you will be able to find maps and guide books for Nepal).  I think the little turning is Mercer Street? It'll be on your right side before you reach Stanfords which is on your left.

There's a branch of Field&Trek on the fifth floor of Lillywhites sports shop which is on a corner at Piccadilly Circus, and in Piccadilly itself (the road of that name, that is) there's a branch of Cotswold Outdoor, on the right hand side coming from Piccadilly Circus.

Finally, for now, there's another Field&Trek in Baker Street, to the south side of Marylebone Road, and another Cotswold Outdoor at Shepherds Bush, next to the Central Line Tube station (I think this station is currently closed, no escalators, but the Hammersmith & City station is just along the road).

spikes

« Reply #3 on: 20:06:19, 27/03/08 »
many thanks for the suggestions. I suggested to him that we try Snow and Rock, but am now armed with a list of other shops nearby. Much obliged

Spikes

CoCo

« Reply #4 on: 16:37:59, 30/03/08 »
try Cotswold outdoor i love the other ones i have been to

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy