Author Topic: Easy access walk Lanchester  (Read 3796 times)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Easy access walk Lanchester
« on: 21:22:41, 09/03/08 »
Today's walk was a Durham County Council guided walk for anybody who needs easy access. Our leader was Coralie (local ranger) , me and Walter were the walk stewards, and we had 8 "punters", two of whom were also voluntary rangers. There was one chap in a wheelchair, which was a little bit disappointing, cos we wanted more. We were' however. competing with two footy matches - the results of which we may well gloss over.

The route started at Hurbuck Cottages on the railway path which runs from Durham to Consett through the Lanchester valley. We had to walk (or trundle) 3 miles through Lanchester to the confusingly named Malton picnic area, which is nowhere near Malton.

The other point of the walk (other than easy access) was to show people how the old railway line has been developed for nature conservation, and now sports a bunch(!) of wild flowers including orchids - and there's also kingfishers and otters. I was quite chuffed to hear and then see a spotted woodpecker.

At the end of the walk, a mini-bus took everybody back to the start.

Afterwards, I explored the railway path uphill for a distance and also bagged a little hill on the way home (Humber Hill - about 800 feet) - and also visited Lanchester roman fort (Longovicium)

Todays signs of spring: Mainly that the hawthorn is starting to green-up. Daffies are flowering (not really wild ones) and, of course, the woodpecker pecking wood.  I did about five miles and 200 feet of ascent, which, when you think about it is what you might call "relaxing".

Just goes to show, though, that you dont need to be Chris Bonnington in his berghaus jacket to have some time exploring some countryside.  Hpefully, there'll be more of this stuff.  (OK for prams, too)

Sorry, the hawthorn pic is a bit out of focus...
« Last Edit: 21:37:47, 09/03/08 by mike knipe »
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy