Author Topic: Clambering around Clee Hill , in Shropshire . 9 mile or so .  (Read 2667 times)

GnP

• Veteran Member
I took a stroll round Clee Hill and Cleeton St Mary today . It was a tad cloudy , but I really enjoyed it once I managed to get away from the few morning walkers near to the main road . I`m not exactly anti social but maybe you know what I mean .  :)

Looking down on the old quarry .

Some low cloud early on in the day . On the way up to Cleeton St Mary .

Watch your step . ???

The church at Cleeton St Mary , with table and bench . Both bolted firmly to the ground .  ;)

Looking back down toward the church .

Eight ways up to Magpie hill . The sun actually shone for...five minutes .. O0

The remains of Quarry buildings at the foot of Magpie hill .

I went the right way .

I got to within half a mile of my car and the heavens opened up . I did not bother to get my coat out , & I just hotfooted it for the last few hundred yards .
It was a pleasure . ! Thanks for having a gander .  O0
« Last Edit: 22:06:33, 14/06/20 by GinAndPlatonic »
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

April

• Veteran Member
Nice report and pics G&P  O0

Interesting landscape with the quarry remains  :)
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Lovely pics. Shame you got wet at the end.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
An interesting walk, G&P - I'm always fascinated by old industrial remains.
I took a walk up Titterstone Clee Hill from the roadhead several years ago one evening whilst working at Wooferton - an impressive viewpoint.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
Nice!
I was looking at the map.  So many ROW's! 

Looks like a nice walk. The terrain seems quite dramatic in places, and the foxgloves are perfect, they add just the right amount of colour.  Awesome.  O0 O0

GnP

• Veteran Member
Nice report and pics G&P  O0

Interesting landscape with the quarry remains  :)
Thanks , yes the ruins kept me occupied for half an hour just mooching around..long enough to get wet at the end of the walk . ???

Lovely pics. Shame you got wet at the end.
Thanks , yes it was a clammy seat drive home.  :o
An interesting walk, G&P - I'm always fascinated by old industrial remains.
I took a walk up Titterstone Clee Hill from the roadhead several years ago one evening whilst working at Wooferton - an impressive viewpoint.
Oh yes , I have walked up there a while back now and it was grand . O0
Nice!
I was looking at the map.  So many ROW's! 

Looks like a nice walk. The terrain seems quite dramatic in places, and the foxgloves are perfect, they add just the right amount of colour.  Awesome.  O0 O0

Thanks . Yes spoiled for choice although many are not well trodden and the long grass is taking over . It seems people like to stay on the gravel paths , which I like when I need to get a move on , but today my legs got a workout on the course  , clumped grasses .  O0

Jac

• Veteran Member
I've been there a few times and it always seems to have a slightly weird atmosphere.

Last time it was to Titterstone Clee (great name) on an icy, wet and windy November day to watch my grandson compete in cyclocross, up and down through the quarry workings. He did well to finish but I could only ask myself - why would you.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Looks an interesting walk with some cracking views too.  Never walked that part of Shropshire, only the Long Mynd, Wenlock Edge and Caer Caradoc - great walking country.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Another interesting TR G&P, enjoyed your photos,  the Clee Hills are a familiar feature on the southern skyline for Salopians.  I think I was told by an old countryman in days of yore that when the Black and Brown Clee show clearly in their true colours there's sure to be rain. It was a sign that spurred on the hay making.

A sad note, I wondered about the Kremlin, which was;
The Kremlin Inn , a 100 year old former quarrymasters house in the village of Clee Hill, by the A4117 & lies 6 miles east of Ludlow. At about 1400ft above sea ...
so I googled it and found;
The Kremlin. Closed following the retirement of Alan and Sue. The pub was famous for being Shropshire's highest at 391m (1283 ft) above sea level.

The pub got is name because it could only pick up Radio Moscow due to its height and remoteness, a rather in joke for Shropshire lads the 1960's, which would draw late night drinkers from far and wide, when closing times were strictly adhered to in urban areas. It was claimed that the KGB had an office in the Ludlow police station, a legend that waxed and waned with the severity of scrutiny the pub got from that quarter.
« Last Edit: 11:23:03, 15/06/20 by barewirewalker »
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

GnP

• Veteran Member
I've been there a few times and it always seems to have a slightly weird atmosphere.

Last time it was to Titterstone Clee (great name) on an icy, wet and windy November day to watch my grandson compete in cyclocross, up and down through the quarry workings. He did well to finish but I could only ask myself - why would you.
I believe , I know what you mean about the atmosphere ..a little otherwordly .

Looks an interesting walk with some cracking views too.  Never walked that part of Shropshire, only the Long Mynd, Wenlock Edge and Caer Caradoc - great walking country.
I used to underrate Shropshire for walks , until I got to know it . O0

The pub got is name because it could only pick up Radio Moscow due to its height and remoteness, a rather in joke for Shropshire lads the 1960's, which would draw late night drinkers from far and wide, when closing times were strictly adhered to in urban areas. It was claimed that the KGB had an office in the Ludlow police station, a legend that waxed and waned with the severity of scrutiny the pub got from that quarter.

Thanks Bww , and a nice bit of history . O0

karl h

• Veteran Member
Grand report and pics G&P   

Looks a very Interesting area

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
You have touched on an interesting part of Shropshire G&P, doesn't often get mention on here, for the very reason pdstsp mentions.

When you were looking towards the rest of the county, keep your eyes averted from Hereford, you would be looking across the Corvedale a valley that joins Craven Arms with Bridgenorth. Barely gets a mention, as most walkers seem to trundle along the Edge and miss the deceptive slope of the edge to the south. Lots of interesting ground between there and the flanks of the Clee.

We had a really fascinating days walking a good few years ago playing 'Catch us if you can' with the the local hunt, by the time our paths had crossed several times and we were opening gates for them, we were on friendly  terms even getting salutes from the master. This was more on the Brown Clee, so perhaps you may be going back there.

This area taught me an interesting piece of theory of walking, when I was hoicked onto a LAF, didn't get there because I was a rambler or anything, so fresh minds create inventive thinking, which led to my immediate termination, when a landowner took over the chair. With the Corve Dale and the Clee Hills Shropshire offers a superb walking area east to west joining the Midlands to Ludlow, The Capital of south Shropshire. Just south of Bridgenorth there is a footbridge at Arley over the River Severn, 'think of this as valuable infrastructure', I tried to say and then look at other like 'valuable infrastructure' that does not have Rights of Way over them and ask the question will the add value to our access network. Shropshire does not have a recognised east to west that could be part of a national C2C. Might be an interesting line of thinking if you continue to explore that area.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Interesting walking country and good views there despite the dull conditions. O0

All these reports of walks in good but seldom mentioned areas keep reminding of how much I've forgotten: we did just one walk here, 23 years ago from our walk log, covering both the Clee hills but we can't remember a thing about it.

GnP

• Veteran Member
Grand report and pics G&P   

Looks a very Interesting area
Like Jacs said , it is interesting but has an odd atmosphere about it in places . I think maybe because there are a few communication masts dotted around and the two quarries make the area look a tad industrial , yet wild at the same time. Thanks  O0

You have touched on an interesting part of Shropshire G&P, doesn't often get mention on here, for the very reason pdstsp mentions.
When you were looking towards the rest of the county, keep your eyes averted from Hereford, you would be looking across the Corvedale a valley that joins Craven Arms with Bridgenorth. Barely gets a mention, as most walkers seem to trundle along the Edge and miss the deceptive slope of the edge to the south. Lots of interesting ground between there and the flanks of the Clee.

I know what you mean . I saw quite a few people in the distance walking the obvious routes , yet there are good walks to be had all over . Even Magpie hill was well worth trundling up for the views alone , yet the few walkers I noticed , walked around it on the main pathway .

Interesting walking country and good views there despite the dull conditions. O0

All these reports of walks in good but seldom mentioned areas keep reminding of how much I've forgotten: we did just one walk here, 23 years ago from our walk log, covering both the Clee hills but we can't remember a thing about it.

I wish I could remember all the great walks I have done long ago .  :)

Mel

• Veteran Member
I enjoyed that.  I have relatives who live in Shropshire who I can sometimes drag out for a walk... might suggest this to them for something a little bit different.  Thanks for posting  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy