Author Topic: TR Easter 19 Day 1 and 2 Honister to Allen Crags  (Read 3019 times)

April

• Veteran Member
We went out for a 3 nighter on the Easter weekend. It was Sunday service on the buses on Good Friday so we were late getting in to Keswick at 1.20pm. We were carrying 4 days food and wine so we didn't fancy the 3 mile walk to catch the earlier bus. We got on the 77A as we were starting from Honister. We got to Grange and found there was a caravan blocking the road and there were queues building up. This was due to the parked cars on the narrow street and not the caravan drivers fault. He found he couldn't move forward or back and some people helped him move the caravan. This held us up for half an hour. We chatted to a tourist on the bus, a nice lady who asked us what was going on. I think she was German and she was staying at the Fish Hotel in Buttermere. We got to Honister at 2.40. We weren't bothered we were late as we'd planned to pitch on Grey Knotts. We'd kept the first day very short, the extra weight had come as a shock to our bodies. Also it was very warm and sunny with hardly any wind. The long distance views were very hazy though so it wasn't a great day for photos. We started climbing up to the Drum House. Once at the Drum House we turned left on the path that leads to Moses Trod.

Buttermere and Crummock Water from the way to Grey Knotts

We walked to the first running water, the source of Warnscale Beck as it crosses the path. We were getting the water for our camp from there rather than see what the tarn water would be like on the ridge. We now had another 3kg in water to carry and we inched up toward Grey Knotts. We were pleased when we reached the fence and we started looking for a place to pitch. We found one and got the tent up. It was early at 4 oclock but apart from a group of tourists asking where the path to Great Gable was we didn't see anybody else except some other wild campers who pitched below Brandreth.

The MSR on Grey Knotts

Base Brown with Glaramara, Bowfell and Esk Pike in view

We had our tea and and a look west at the build up of cloud meant we were not going to get a very good sunset.

The clouds provided some drama

The sunset from Grey Knotts

Not a very good sunset at all. We had some wine and rested our tired bodies, we had struggled with the extra weight and the heat. We are not used to the heat, it had felt like minus 10 last weekend!

Day 1 was Honister - Drum House - source of Warnscale Beck - Grey Knotts ridge. 3.2km with 365m ascent

We slept well and awoke to more hazy views. First stop was Grey Knotts summits, we did both of them.

This is the east top

This is the west top

Next was Brandreth and again we took photos from 2 of the cairns, I can never remember which one is the summit.

Beefy and Squeaky at one of the summit cairns

It was more windy on Saturday and the wind was in our faces. It was still sunny, shame about the haze though.

Toward the Gables from Brandreth

Beefy at the other cairn on Brandreth

Green Gable was our next fell.

Great Gable from Green Gable

Beefy on Green Gable summit

We sat in the summit shelter for a short break but the wind wasn't very strong up on the top. Next on the list was Great Gable which meant the awful loose descent down to Windy Gap had to be endured first.

On the descent to Windy Gap

We then had the more enjoyable ascent up to Great Gable with a few rocky steps to scramble up. I thought I would struggle on it with the pack weight but I was ok but my legs were tiring as we reached Great Gable summit.

Beefy and Squeaky on Great Gable summit

Across Seathwaite Fell to the Langdale Pikes

The Scafells from Great Gable

We had a chocolate break (suitable for vegans) before we descended to Styhead.  My legs really felt that long steep descent and I was pleased when we stopped for some lunch near the Dry Tarn. It was blustery and we couldn't get out of the wind so it was a quick stop.                       

The original plan was to pitch somewhere beyond Esk Pike on Pike de Bield. I had ran out of steam on the Great Gable descent. Squeaky was getting very tired too. We stopped to get some water from the beck and had a rest. Allen Crags was nearby and we had camped there before so we changed our plans. Allen Crags would be our home for the night.                           

Looking back at Great Gable from the path to Esk Hause

The MSR on Allen Crags

We found a good pitch and got the tent up. I was absolutely knackered I would have pitched anywhere! Squeaky wanted her photo taken too and she came out the tent as I took the shot!

The Gables seen from our pitch

It was blustery and we sat inside the tent looking at the view while we had our tea

The sunset from Allen Crags

Not a very good one, never mind, we enjoyed resting and having some wine. Day 2 was Grey Knotts - Brandreth - Green Gable - Great Gable - Styhead - pitch below Allen Crags 8km with 640m ascent

Day 3 and 4 to follow 
Hate will never win

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Easter 19 Day 1 and 2 Honister to Allen Crags
« Reply #1 on: 19:35:13, 24/04/19 »
Another good TR April. Like the view across Seathwaite Fell to the Langdale Pikes and also the drama clouds. Awaiting the next installment!

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:41:23, 24/04/19 »
Lovely pics again , and good to see Squeaky looking fit again  Interesting that it was windier for you on Saturday, I walked lower level in Saturday from NDG to Buttermere and I was craving some breeze!

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:04:10, 24/04/19 »
Great pics as usual Ape O0
Shame about the hazy views, was nice to be there though,
Pollen is going on the banned list  :(

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:14:12, 24/04/19 »

Great weather to be out camping despite the haze, April. Some lovely photos.

Your Allen Crags pitch looks delightful.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:59:01, 24/04/19 »
Another entertaining report and photos in superb weather, though on a warm and sunny Easter, the Lake District wouldn't be our first choice to put it mildly!.

MarkT

« Reply #6 on: 21:28:15, 24/04/19 »
Great weekend out with some great views :)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:42:46, 24/04/19 »
Looks like you had a lovely time you 3, great pics  O0

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:35:17, 25/04/19 »
Fab weather for a 3 night camping adventure!  Lovely photos O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:44:48, 25/04/19 »
Nice one.

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 10:18:00, 25/04/19 »
Lovely photos and hazy is better than rainy. Easters are often a wash out so dry weather is a bonus.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:19:21, 25/04/19 »
Never mind all that-how is Squeaky? :-\ :)
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:29:34, 25/04/19 »
Thanks all for the lovely comments  O0

Never mind all that-how is Squeaky? :-\ :)

;D
Squeaky is a lot better, she is still not 100% but getting there. She has lost a bit of weight so she needs feeding up.
Hate will never win

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 13:40:16, 25/04/19 »
Good stuff April O0  I think most folk would put up with the haze if it means warm sunshine and blue skies :)

Squeaky is a lot better, she is still not 100% but getting there. She has lost a bit of weight so she needs feeding up.

Don't be giving her any of your lumpy custard or I'm straight on to the RSPCA  :D

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:31:03, 25/04/19 »
Don't be giving her any of your lumpy custard or I'm straight on to the RSPCA  :D

;D
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy