Author Topic: Don't Lose Your Way campaign  (Read 9278 times)

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Re: Don't Lose Your Way campaign
« Reply #30 on: 11:23:45, 03/03/20 »
Only gone a far as using the pencil, and filing in a square without committing myself to submit. If the softway already highlights the FP and BR I am curious what the value of the end product will be.
My first choice is a lostway I know a bit of history, one square is already greyed out and some of the other ways are internal drives and lanes within an estate, which constitute the total way, but without an explanation of the original which was a right of way 1900-1930's as it provided a way for the staff of an neighbouring estate to cross the adjoining estate.
My second choice was a square with a very important way in it, key to a 20 mile cross county route that ticks all the boxes the Macmillan Ways are trying to achieve without getting tangled up in existing LDP's. This square is is crammed full of other FPs that are the shortcuts of yesteryear and old ways to work, which are 'the meat and drink' of the CLA's argument against Lostways. So I will wait and see if some Rambler pounces on it thinking they have discovered a jackpot, don't mind if someone else spots the real way, there is another but that is not visible on the old maps. It is another sort of lostway altogether.  ;D

P.S. the website suggests that it is good to look for ways that suddenly end, County and Parish boundaries is the best place to find these, they are the classic anomaly. However ex War Office or Min. of Defence land is also an ideal starting place. This is because the sort of green welly, Cirencester graduate the Home Office select for the Estate Agents are usually wannabee landowners, who like to swan around the County Set pretending to be important people, probably one single group of people, who have done more damage to the Definitive Map than any other apart from the defunct aristocracy.
« Last Edit: 12:00:22, 03/03/20 by barewirewalker »
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Andies

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 14:29:01, 05/03/20 »
Trying to keep this alive as previously suggested but I suspect many on here won't be as bothered as I am. In Suffolk access land is almost non existent so I am reliant of the somewhat patchy ROW network with all its corruptions to be able to get out for a decent walk away from the roads, unless I want to travel some considerable distance.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 14:31:59, 05/03/20 »
It is how I pass my time while the TV is on.  Laptop on the arm of the chair, a glass of something to aid concentration ...

Edit:
Perhaps we could start a square kilometerage thread to rival the mileage thread?

Ninthace - 470
« Last Edit: 15:04:39, 05/03/20 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Andies

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 15:56:02, 05/03/20 »
Perhaps we could start a square kilometerage thread to rival the mileage thread?

Ninthace - 470
Andies  - 74

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 15:59:47, 05/03/20 »
Ninthace - 485
Andies  - 74
Solvitur Ambulando

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 19:05:19, 05/03/20 »
Living in Scotland, I don’t have the same access issue. Perhaps I could look back close to where I used to live, but there would be others with much more recent knowledge than me.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 09:42:44, 06/03/20 »
Can't add to it yet the new 2.10.18 version of GIMP is occupying my time, but I'll start to have a go. Do you have to register? I registered with the pathwatch scheme but seem to have been locked out with that user name and password, probably because the email address I used needs a microsoft password and that has become too complicated to keep active.
BWW

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 19:30:52, 06/03/20 »
Yes  :-[ you do have to register to submit a square. Not done it yet, still lurking but a project I was working on a couple of years ago has 3 square blanked out, These are the squares that show the highest incidence of 'Lostways'  :o , however the square that is, in my mind crucial to the integration of all the lostways to future of our access network, has not been touched. Are there ramblers just looking for the bonanza squares without any deep thinking.  :(
BWW

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 19:39:59, 06/03/20 »
Yes  :-[ you do have to register to submit a square. Not done it yet, still lurking but a project I was working on a couple of years ago has 3 square blanked out, These are the squares that show the highest incidence of 'Lostways'  :o , however the square that is, in my mind crucial to the integration of all the lostways to future of our access network, has not been touched. Are there ramblers just looking for the bonanza squares without any deep thinking.  :(
You have to register so the square can be assigned to you. That way squares you have done can be greyed out so you know where you have got to.  Once a square has been done more than once it is greyed out to all users. If this was not done, popular areas would be done by the world and his wife and other areas would not be covered.
Presumably, if there is a query over a square you have analysed, they could come back to you.
Solvitur Ambulando

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 10:38:31, 07/03/20 »
You have to register so the square can be assigned to you. That way squares you have done can be greyed out so you know where you have got to.  Once a square has been done more than once it is greyed out to all users. If this was not done, popular areas would be done by the world and his wife and other areas would not be covered.
Presumably, if there is a query over a square you have analysed, they could come back to you.
Thanks for that; It is as I suspected. I would feel happier if the Ramblers had woken up to this earlier than a mere 5 years before 2026. The British Horse Society has been active for at least 5 more years, yet this has not aroused enough public criticism to make local government and even national government aware of the need to take this issue seriously. Even if the lost ways are registered before 2026, they still have to go to adjudication to get re-established and this will fall to the individual members of the public to carry the cost of a Public Inquiry.

Yet most of these ways were left off the Definitive Map by the incompetence or Corruption of the Shire or Parish councils given the task of providing access to our countryside.

The value of these ways must be expressed in their usefulness. For instance my county of Shropshire blocks the way to the Welsh Coast for the very large population of the Midlands. The value of dedicated routes crossing the county both socially and economically could be huge.

This is shown by the attempt by the Macmillan Trust to create cross Britain ways, clearly frustrated by the need to divert down to the South of the county then back up to cross Wales so a route hits Cardigan Bay around the middle.

BWW

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 11:23:22, 07/03/20 »
Crack on, salvage what you can.  I have been following the rules of the site by reporting lost footpaths and roads but from time to time, I have come across an obvious lost way that is not recorded as either a FP or road on the old maps.  Where I could bend the rules with a tenuous link to a path or road I have slipped them in under the radar.  Whether any good will come of it I do not know.
I have done nearly 600 sq km so far round my local area and have found the exercise very interesting.  Not only finding no end of lost paths but also quite a few lost roads.  I have also discovered a lot of wild land that has also "gone under the plough" since 1913 - it seems we used to have a lot more moors in the past.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 13:02:08, 07/03/20 »
Crack on, salvage what you can.  I have been following the rules of the site by reporting lost footpaths and roads but from time to time, I have come across an obvious lost way that is not recorded as either a FP or road on the old maps.  Where I could bend the rules with a tenuous link to a path or road I have slipped them in under the radar.  Whether any good will come of it I do not know.
I have done nearly 600 sq km so far round my local area and have found the exercise very interesting.  Not only finding no end of lost paths but also quite a few lost roads.  I have also discovered a lot of wild land that has also "gone under the plough" since 1913 - it seems we used to have a lot more moors in the past.

I have been 'creative' once or twice too.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Andies

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 14:48:16, 07/03/20 »

I have been 'creative' once or twice too.

Me too. I suspect the checking phase will be the important thing here, but in any event this exercise can only be indicative of a possible lost way. Just because it's on a couple of old maps means very little when it comes to making the case to have something added to the definitive map.
The definitive map was corrupted when being set up and 70 years on that corruption still remains to a very large extent, with now the threat of being made permanent if nothing is done by 2026.
This process is as BWW says long overdue and it is sad that nothing has really happened before.
I have enjoyed completely some local squares and pleasingly some others have joined in locally as when I last went to do some more of these I couldn't as I had been beaten to it, so will now look a little further afield.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 15:28:16, 07/03/20 »
If I was a conspiracy theorist and a charlatan and the type of landowner BWW constantly berates, I would ensure I got any squares surrounding my land and make sure anything that I wasn't happy with was not notified at all.

Do these squares get reopened for rechecking in the future and what would stop BWWs favourite people from signing in under a different guise.
Just :-\ wondering,  :-\ that's all.
Too little, too late, too bad......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 15:59:42, 07/03/20 »
If I was a conspiracy theorist and a charlatan and the type of landowner BWW constantly berates, I would ensure I got any squares surrounding my land and make sure anything that I wasn't happy with was not notified at all.

Do these squares get reopened for rechecking in the future and what would stop BWWs favourite people from signing in under a different guise.
Just :-\ wondering,  :-\ that's all.
You have to get there first, crack on.  Since each report is assigned to the person who did it and there has to be more than one check to grey out a square, it would be possible to check the input of a user and discount it if it was blatantly wrong.  I have not come up against any black holes yet.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy