Author Topic: Accommodation central Lakes?  (Read 2499 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Accommodation central Lakes?
« on: 08:30:13, 07/01/19 »
Starting to plan this years Lakes trip as our dates and requirements are quite specific.

There will be me, my dad, my son and possibly my daughter so a 2 bedroom static caravan would be great as the sleeping arrangements can be a bit flexible.
Perfect location would be Rydal/Grasmere but somewhere up that central section of the A591 between north Ambleside and the north end of Thirlmere.

Oh and if it is a short walk to a nice pub doing good food then so much the better.

Any recommendations?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Last Edit: 11:05:14, 07/01/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Lakeland Lorry

Re: Accommodation central Lakes?
« Reply #2 on: 13:08:41, 07/01/19 »
Try the golakes website too:

https://www.golakes.co.uk/accommodation/

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:24:49, 07/01/19 »
If you're not dead set on a static caravan there's the YHA in Grasmere, Butharlyp Howe, in quiet attractive surroundings and a short walk from the village centre.  You could book one of the family rooms there.  They have a sale on now if you're going before the end of April.
Not all those who wander are lost

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:19:15, 07/01/19 »
All I can think of are High Bridge End Farm at the northern tip of Thirlmere on the flanks of Great Howe which I seem to remember having static caravans – not sure if they are for hire though.  Possibly in walking distance (mebby a mile or so) of Kings Head pub on the A591.

Further up the A591 towards Keswick is Dale Bottom Caravan and Campsite which do have static caravans for hire but it’s nowhere near a pub and a 3 mile walk/drive to the nearest shop up and down a hill!

Both of those are …. a bit …. rustic and owned/run by farmers whose priority is farming.

There does seem to be a dearth of static caravan sites around Ambleside/Grasmere generally. 

Would a small holiday cottage be worth considering?  I’ve found the prices for smaller ones to be not too different to static caravans.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:45:56, 07/01/19 »
There does seem to be a dearth of static caravan sites around Ambleside/Grasmere generally. 

And that, in my humble opinion, is a very good thing - large static caravan sites are a blight on the landscape.
Good idea about a holiday cottage - this is the route that we always go down during the winter months (camping in the summer).

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:58:44, 07/01/19 »

Thanks for the feed back,  I shall investigate further this evening.
My Dad is in his 80s and his days of roughing it are over so I either need en-suite in a YHA/B&B or cottage/caravan

- large static caravan sites are a blight on the landscape.
I agree.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:18:52, 07/01/19 »

thank God!

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 23:14:56, 07/01/19 »
I have never stayed here so I'm not sure what it is like. You will get good views of Blencathra  :) It may be too far north and perhaps too close to the A66?
https://www.setmabanningcaravanpark.co.uk/

Again this may be too far from your preferred location. Not stayed here either but I did once try to book a caravan because of the location.
http://www.greenhowe.com/

Both seem to be reasonably priced but may be too far away from the pub  :)

I have stayed here before in a chalet and in The Dairy when they let that out. It was a long time ago now but I had great holidays here.
https://patterdalehallestate.com/

The only problem is it is in the wrong place. But the pubs aren't that far away in Glenridding or Patterdale  :)
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:30:36, 08/01/19 »
Thanks April, Greenhowe is a definite possibility.
Normally when we are in the Lakes I like to stay and walk in one area but this year my son could get to 214 but only if we travel about a bit so somewhere central feels like the best bet.
If we are walking to the pub with my Dad it probably has to be within half a mile but that is definitely not a deal breaker, we can easily hop in the car.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:47:00, 08/01/19 »
Possibly something to avoid (or investigate further):-  With only a few hours available a few years ago we were borrowing one of David Hall's routes which was around Skelwith Bridge/Farm etc.
Part way around we began to notice green static caravans through the trees and thought they seemed in an idyllic spot.
Further round we began to see more of them and then realised it was quite heavily populated  :-\
Just looking now on Google Earth, it doesn't look as bad as I remember. That was Skelwith Fold caravan park.
Another I used to see regularly was Limefitt Park, which is just a little NE from Troutbeck off the A592. Unable to make a personal recommendation but a lovely location, if just off the central spine you are aiming for.

Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:54:01, 08/01/19 »

I think I have just solved this problem, 5 days in a cottage which sleeps 6 just outside Grasmere for £324 in mid-July.
Just had a lovely email from the owner as they normally only do full weeks at that time of year. I shall report back in due course.

Thanks all for you input.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:06:59, 08/01/19 »
Limefitt Park, which is just a little NE from Troutbeck off the A592.

Ah - brings back memories - I was refused entry there many years ago!

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:37:27, 08/01/19 »

Ah - brings back memories - I was refused entry there many years ago!
;D   ;D
You rascal !

Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:47:37, 08/01/19 »
5 days in a cottage which sleeps 6 just outside Grasmere for £324 in mid-July.

:o A bargain  O0

You must have told them who you were and they gave you a discount  ;)
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy