Author Topic: Pennine Way Walking to The Schil  (Read 2083 times)

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
Pennine Way Walking to The Schil
« on: 16:22:13, 09/08/19 »
Just back from fantastic, if tiring, walk to The Schil along Pennine Way from Kirk Yetholm... what a wonderful walk, in possibly the best weather possible up here!

So now planning to get to The Schil to continue walk southwards, parking nearby and can see a couple of possiblities...

Has anyone any knowledge of this area to access either from near Sourhope farm or MountHooly Bunkhouse?

Love this part of the our country!

snoopdawg

Re: Pennine Way Walking to The Schil
« Reply #1 on: 17:27:12, 09/08/19 »
Done The Schil a few times, your route from KY, finishing the Pennine way and part of a big walk from Langleeford when I dropped into the College valley before ascending The Schil, hen hole. Auchope cairn and Cheviot. The college valley does or did have a limit on vehicle traffic which might limit your choices

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:24:24, 10/08/19 »
You will need a permit to park near Mounthooly or you will have to park further north, I think the car park is just past Hethpool. Other starting points not for the Schill as such but for other walks in the area are Wooler, Langleeford, Barrowburn, Alwinton, Blindburn.

It is a wonderful place to walk, my training ground  :)
Hate will never win

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:41:21, 10/08/19 »

I did a walk earlier this year starting at Kirk Yetholm, following the Pennine Way over the Schill and on south for a bit over a mile to Red Cribs.  There's a good path to Mounthooly from there, then I came back over the ridge via Trowupburn.  It was a great walk, but quite a lot of steep up and down.
   Perhaps if you contacted the bunkhouse they would tell you if there is a way to take the car up other than staying there.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:10:20, 10/08/19 »
There's a good path to Mounthooly from there, then I came back over the ridge via Trowupburn.  It was a great walk, but quite a lot of steep up and down.
   Perhaps if you contacted the bunkhouse they would tell you if there is a way to take the car up other than staying there.

I've got some information about parking at Mounthooly from a lady who lived there, awaiting reply re permit.

Notice there is a road that goes through Sourhope Farm that is fairly close to Pennine Way, which appears from maps to be accessible, any knowledge of the possibilities of using that route? Appreciate any assistance.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:13:24, 10/08/19 »
You will need a permit to park near Mounthooly or you will have to park further north, I think the car park is just past Hethpool. Other starting points not for the Schill as such but for other walks in the area are Wooler, Langleeford, Barrowburn, Alwinton, Blindburn.

It is a wonderful place to walk, my training ground  :)

Any idea if Sourburn Farm is accessible by car, as that appears another option?

My first walking visit the other day and it was just an amazing area.... so quiet, peaceful, warm and could see rain showers passing by!

snoopdawg

« Reply #6 on: 21:02:44, 10/08/19 »

Any idea if Sourburn Farm is accessible by car, as that appears another option?

My first walking visit the other day and it was just an amazing area.... so quiet, peaceful, warm and could see rain showers passing by!

Did you mean Sourhope farm?, no idea but you can park at Cocklawfoot which gives a great circuit of windy Gyle and if you are fit a great tramp of about 26k  to Cheviot and the Schil and return.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:38:29, 11/08/19 »
Here is the link to the permit info to drive up the College Valley. It has gone up since I last had a permit, it used to be £5  :)

http://www.college-valley.co.uk/car_permits.htm

I don't know the farm you mention so I have no idea if you can park there.
Hate will never win

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:58:54, 11/08/19 »
Did you mean Sourhope farm?, no idea but you can park at Cocklawfoot which gives a great circuit of windy Gyle and if you are fit a great tramp of about 26k  to Cheviot and the Schil and return.

Yes I spent too much time looking at maps.... it is Sourhope Farm.
Unfortunately I'm not able to do that distance due to health reasons, that is why I'm attempting shorter walks on a daily basis in an attempt to walk The Pennine Way.
It is proving difficult to find reasonable access, at times, to park nearby.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 11:59:50, 11/08/19 »
Here is the link to the permit info to drive up the College Valley. It has gone up since I last had a permit, it used to be £5  :)

http://www.college-valley.co.uk/car_permits.htm

I don't know the farm you mention so I have no idea if you can park there.

Thanks I've contacted them for permit info.

humansnail

« Reply #10 on: 18:08:24, 10/09/19 »

I agree, it is a lovely place. One of my favorite areas in the cheviots along w/ Windy Gyle.

Last time I stayed at Mounthooly, the owner was very friendly and let me leave the car there for two more nights after I stayed in the bunkhouse to do a bit of camping - might be worth giving them a ring to see if you can just park there and pay them a few quid? Also, the track from the carpark at Hethpool to Mounthooly is nice and easy and is a pleasant walk in itself, however if you're doing a long day I can see why you might want to cut it out.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 11:04:52, 11/09/19 »
First came across The Schill whilst following the Spine Race earlier this year. I really fancy doing this section of the Pennine Way, an airy ridge walk along the Border.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

humansnail

« Reply #12 on: 19:51:07, 11/09/19 »
On the rockyish summit of the schill, if it's misty and you've had a few whiskys you can almost pretend you are in the lakes! ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy