Author Topic: A Poncho which opens like an ordinary raincoat?  (Read 1095 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
In 2015 I was staying in St John Pied du Port, France and outside a sports shop, there was a mannequin wearing a poncho which opened all the way down the front just like an ordinary raincoat. It had a good quality and well-designed hood and the rear of the poncho was pleated and designed to cover a rucksack. It looked extremely well made and stylish and I looked at it, studied it, wanted it, but then didn't actually buy it. I've regretted it ever since.

I've never seen one since and certainly not in the UK, I've seen plenty of pull-over-your-head-ponchos, I own one, it works of course but not really well enough to like it much. Has anybody ever seen a poncho as I've described? Maybe they are no longer made, of course? I'd be grateful if anyone could suggest where I might start to look for such an item.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: A Poncho which opens like an ordinary raincoat?
« Reply #2 on: 23:16:31, 03/02/20 »
That will be the Altus, look back I did mention them to you a while ago, just before you bought the Champion coat.
They have space in the back for the rucksack. So a bit like your Champion but with a hump, and costing more than £15.
Too little, too late, too bad......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:22:42, 03/02/20 »
As worn by Richard III?
Solvitur Ambulando

motorlaunch

« Reply #4 on: 23:28:48, 03/02/20 »

Could it be the Quechua - Forclaz 75L Adult Waterproof Rain Cape. I have found a Utube video of it.

[/size]https://youtu.be/RmtFjWVBbp0[/size]

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:37:20, 03/02/20 »
Also here https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ferrino-Trekker-Cape-Waterproof-Mens/dp/B01MZ02V4U

In fact, if you run "front opening backpack poncho" through a search engine, the world is your mollusc.
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:30:48, 04/02/20 »
Thanks for all of the suggestions, yes that's the idea but I think the one I saw must have been 'special,' it looked so smart and well designed and did not have that 'nylon' look and it wasn't brightly coloured. I also remember it had a suede collar and suede cuffs. At the time it was advertised as 125 euros, which in the end is the reason I didn't buy it.

The only reason I'm remembering back is that I have proved to myself that my Champion coat idea is the 'way to go' for me, but it is what it is, a coat originally designed to stand around or to walk short distances in when it's raining. I am now very content that I treat rain differently than all other weathers, I now find it so much easier to decide on my gear and it helps me to keep my carry weight down as well. My decision allows me to consign my Paramo and the other 'wonder jackets' that are pushed at us all from the people in marketing, 'to the dustbin.' I have used my Champion coat as a testbed, I've adapted it, I've made it a bit longer, had weights sewn into the bottom hem and each change has made it just that little bit better. In the meantime I have continuously looked around for a better coat, maybe Goretex or similar, which rolls up smaller and weighs less. The Champion coat weighs nearly 20oz, to improve on it I would need something like a long Marmot Precip or similar and to my knowledge, they don't exist?

I suppose that I'm looking for an 'ideal' wet weather coat, that keeps me dry, that I can put on and off quickly, that opens up down the front, (easiest way to ventilate and dry out perspiration in my experience) to cover my rucksack, it's not essential, at the moment I just use an ordinary elasticated rucksack cover.

I have a Vaude poncho, well made but difficult to put on and off and the rucksack cover area is awkward to manage as well. For a poncho to work well its the design of how it covers the rucksack I think is the key to want to use one. As it stands even with a front opening poncho would that be any easier to put on and cover my rucksack at the same time? I'm thinking that I might buy one of your suggested ponchos just to find out?

jb101

« Reply #8 on: 15:34:12, 19/02/20 »
There is the Swiss Army poncho which may be of interest /worth trying out

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:07:10, 19/02/20 »
Thanks for the suggestion but I think I have now moved back in my thinking towards a coat and an ordinary elasticated waterproof rucksack cover. I still hope I will see this type of poncho and try it on but when I read online about people who actually own one its the rear rucksack cover area that seems to disappoint them. From my experience with my Vaude poncho, I'm sure I can understand why even though a front buttoning must be easier to live with.

I want to be able to just quickly lower my rucksack off my back, to put my jacket and rain skirt on in a few seconds, then rucksack back on my back and go. I'm still working on the problem, nearly there but not perfect yet.

My idea was that if I owned a front opening poncho, it's just rolled up and secured behind my head and instantly available to me, I could just grab it with one hand, let it unroll and then just throw it over me and the rucksack and zip it up. I think its the 'throw over' movement that will be the problem, if I can't do it whilst moving along then its not worth buying it?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:17:20, 19/02/20 »
The real disadvantage with the over the pack poncho is you have a problem getting at your pack while staying dry. My pack has a built in cover  ... unzip, slip it over and carry on.  If there is more than one of you, you can get your companion to put it over your pack without having to take your pack off.  If you need something out of your pack it is very quick to get into the pack and then replace the cover.
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:45:07, 19/02/20 »
Yep, mine too, generally fit  it at same time as donning waterproofs
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy