Author Topic: Sunhat choice  (Read 6762 times)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Re: Sunhat choice
« Reply #45 on: 17:48:51, 26/04/20 »

If one person decides that Tilley hats aren't worth the asking price, then they can choose not to buy one.

If another person decides that Tilley hats are worth the asking price, then they can choose to buy one.

Both are happy. What's the problem?

(I've got a Tilley hat. I bought it in a size 7.5 - exactly the right size for me - and I love it.  :) )
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

watershed

« Reply #46 on: 18:17:09, 26/04/20 »
Hi GWM

I know you like a bargain,

I still think that for running, the Bubba Gump hat is your best bet.

£9.71 on the internet.

Run Forrest Run!  :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 18:22:00, 26/04/20 »
After getting frazzled whilst painting up a ladder yesterday, I'm coming around to the idea of getting a decent (budget) sun hat myself. Rigel's suggestion catches my eye...
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 19:56:17, 26/04/20 »
Hi GWM

I know you like a bargain,

I still think that for running, the Bubba Gump hat is your best bet.

£9.71 on the internet.

Run Forrest Run!  :)

Are you on commission?

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 20:02:30, 26/04/20 »
Are you on commission?
Lifeee is like a boxa chocolates..

Lets create a Bubba Gump hat appreciation society
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 21:49:43, 26/04/20 »
For those of us with large brain capacity there is very little choice available. I have found a few baseball caps in XL, but they get stained and covered in salt crystals and can’t be washed. The Tilley can often be bought for less than full price, can be washed and has a lifetime guarantee - also some models come in size 8+, which is perfect for me. What may seem expensive in the beginning may well work out cheaper in the long run. Buy cheap, buy twice (or more).

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 21:55:36, 26/04/20 »
For those of us with large brain capacity there is very little choice available. I have found a few baseball caps in XL, but they get stained and covered in salt crystals and can’t be washed. The Tilley can often be bought for less than full price, can be washed and has a lifetime guarantee - also some models come in size 8+, which is perfect for me. What may seem expensive in the beginning may well work out cheaper in the long run. Buy cheap, buy twice (or more).
If my Tilley needs a wash I wear it in my post walk shower.  Trouble is it acquires a bit of "character" between washes which disappears in the cleaning process and you have to start all over again!
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 13:24:09, 30/04/20 »
My Sunday Afternoons Ultra Adventure Sun Hat arrived this morning. It is something to behold! My wife suggested that people who look at it will say, "Hey, I like that, what a good idea!" or 'Who's the prat wearing the prat-hat?" She then commented that all I need now is a 'Pratmobile' car to go with it, she suggests any open-top model will do!

We shall see! Who knows, one day soon I may become famous and have a flypast in my honour?  O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 13:48:33, 30/04/20 »
My Sunday Afternoons Ultra Adventure Sun Hat arrived this morning. It is something to behold! My wife suggested that people who look at it will say, "Hey, I like that, what a good idea!" or 'Who's the prat wearing the prat-hat?" She then commented that all I need now is a 'Pratmobile' car to go with it, she suggests any open-top model will do!

We shall see! Who knows, one day soon I may become famous and have a flypast in my honour?  O0
So when are you off to run across the Sahara?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZXtSUXdkBE
Solvitur Ambulando

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: 14:43:06, 30/04/20 »
More sophisticated than that  - perhaps a bit of a Noilly?
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 17:18:56, 30/04/20 »
I decided to give my new hat the first outing this afternoon and to find out if it's suitable to wear when running? It is but I'm not fully used to the brim size yet. When I ran into the sun and wind it certainly was effective, when I turned to run back the wind, now behind me, lifted the flap and my neck was exposed. The moment the wind dropped it returned to its default position. The hat was instantly very comfortable to wear and I'm sure I'm going to like the inbuilt sunglasses holder. All I need now is to find out how good it is in really hot weather with a rucksack on my back.

Just before getting to the bus stop, a Courier van drove past and he tooted. Did he toot at me?

Marsden Moor

« Reply #57 on: 18:23:47, 30/04/20 »
Did you have your legs out?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: 18:33:29, 30/04/20 »
Today, I was dressed all in black, (except for my hat) and was wearing my tight(ish) Ron Hill running trousers and my tight(ish) running top, which when I'm hiking is one of my baselayers. I normally wear a loose-fitting 'T' short on top but they were both in the wash so 'had to make do.'

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #59 on: 17:49:32, 27/05/20 »
I noticed today that following a long succession of warm lockdown walks, the sweat band of my trusty Tilley was beginning to develop its own ecosystem and species unknown to science were beginning to take hold.  It must be well over a year, if not more, since it last had a good trip to the dhobi. So following today's excursion, I wore it into the shower. (not necessarily a mental image you want to hold on to for too long)
With my rain shower flat out and water coursing off the brim, there was not a hint of sag.  I rubbed the sweatband with plenty of shower gel, filled it up and emptied it multiple times with water at the hottest setting and then hung it up to dry.  It has retained its shape perfectly and looks like it will be good to go again tomorrow.  Tilleys - built like the proverbial brick dunny.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy