Author Topic: Great circular walk  (Read 2009 times)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Great circular walk
« on: 11:39:09, 08/09/20 »
On reading GWM on Ridges pennine way walk he made me wonder if anyone had done what he wanted to do. Walk PW then St Cuthberts to Holy Island and up to Berwick for the train.

Then I got to thinking about a grand circular Northumbrian walk.
Kirk Yetholm to Holy Island (St. Cuthberts), Holy Island to the Roman Wall (St. Oswalds) along the Roman Wall a bit to get onto the Pennine Way back to Kirk Yetholm.

I wonder if anyone has done it as a continuous long walk?
Too little, too late, too bad......

April

• Veteran Member
Re: Great circular walk
« Reply #1 on: 19:05:08, 08/09/20 »
I haven't jimbob (obviously!) but I think it is a great idea  O0  How much mileage is the whole circuit?

If you are the first person to think of this walk, it might be called doing the "Jimbob"  :)
« Last Edit: 19:10:51, 08/09/20 by April »
Hate will never win

Ferret

« Reply #2 on: 19:49:24, 08/09/20 »
I was intrigued enough to plot this on my OS app. It's about 170 miles and just under 18000ft of climb.

An enjoyable fortnight, I reckon.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:52:41, 08/09/20 »
Does this herald the start of the "Jimbob" then?  :)
Hate will never win

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:16:17, 08/09/20 »
Perhaps the first person to complete the walk should get to name it, rather than the person who thought it up. However, Sir Hugh did not complete the Munros.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:42:20, 08/09/20 »
I think the "Muckle Waalk" Roond the Coonty would be the best name.
I have a gut feeling that it may have been done deliberately in sections. I am thinking of one person in particular. But I'll need to ask him when iVM next back up home. ( Or hyem as you would say doon sooth, April)
Too little, too late, too bad......

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 05:09:20, 09/09/20 »
( Or hyem as you would say doon sooth, April)

:) I've never thought of myself as from doon sooth but I suppose I am sooth of where your hyem is!

Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:35:37, 09/09/20 »
Looks like a great walk!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:14:55, 09/09/20 »
I think that sounds a great walk Jimbob. My problem is I live on the South coast so I'd like to think I hike these routes but my chances of doing them are getting less, especially in 2020. I can only dream and plan a bit about 2021 at the moment.

I once did a variation which worked out extremely well for me. I caught the train to St. Bee's, hiked the C2C to Keld, then turned south to Edale on the Pennine Way. I then caught the train home. I've mentioned it here before but that's why the Pennine Journey for me was such a good hike, the start and finish point is the same place.

Over the years I have also taken advatage of hiking long walks down here in the South. We have the North Downs Way, the Greensand Way, The High Weald Trail, The Sussex Border Path and the South Downs Way and as they all go from East to West (or west to east) and are more or less parralel to each other. Its easy to create a circular route going from one to the other (I use Bing Maps OS to work the routes out) and there is always a train station at the beginning and end.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:20:19, 09/09/20 »
I can't help it but I still consider that the best circular walk of all which I've experienced is the Tour do Mont Blanc, for me a truly international experience. I'm surprised that the Lake District hasn't got one with the same status attached.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:39:23, 09/09/20 »
I can't help it but I still consider that the best circular walk of all which I've experienced is the Tour do Mont Blanc, for me a truly international experience. I'm surprised that the Lake District hasn't got one with the same status attached.
But if you wanted to go round the Lake District, you coud do it in a few bus rides.  The fun stuff is in the middle!  There are routes in the Lakes that take in most of the summits in one go for those that way inclined.
Solvitur Ambulando

Ferret

« Reply #11 on: 00:53:33, 13/09/20 »

I think there's a Tour Of The Lake District Cicerone guide. Haven't seen the route though it takes though and it certainly doesn't have much of a status yet. Might catch on though, I suppose.

I'm keen to do the Tour of Monte Blanc. If it's half as spectacular as it looks, it'll be a magnificent walk.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy