Author Topic: South to north(again) or north to south pennine way feb2019?  (Read 2551 times)

Yorkshiremarv

Been given the green light by the wife to maybe(definitely) take a month from work and do the pennine way.
My dilemma is to go south to north or north to south, i've already done it once sth to nth but i struggled a lot with knee pain and a strict ish time schedule so it was a lot of head down marching along and there is plenty that i missed.
Hoping to do it with my 27yr old nephew so we would carry all our own equipment and attempt to smash it out and crack on.
"if in doubt, flat out"

ninthace

• Veteran Member
That time of year, if you are lucky to have any, N to S means you would be walking into a low sun which can be unpleasant and make seeing obstructions harder.  Statistically speaking you are also more likely to have the weather in your face.
Solvitur Ambulando

Yorkshiremarv

Very good point, would have never thought of that. Walking into a low sun is a nightmare, ok my glasses are react to light and turn almost like welding goggles but thats something to consider. thanks.
"if in doubt, flat out"

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I don't mind the Pennine Way either way. As I live in the south it makes more sense for me to walk North to South.

Yorkshiremarv

Going to do it south to north again, im familiar to the route this way and therefore ill spend less time map checking. Going to take the tent again but this time without the inner to lighten the load, want to be looking at 25+ mile days so going to take the bare minimum this time, tried with a 13kg backpack last time and my knees were agony. Any pointers for good knee straps??
"if in doubt, flat out"

Yorkshiremarv

thanks very muchly, i shall be buying two for my poorly knees. Im good on the flat and uphill its just those pesky decents that kill my knees!!
"if in doubt, flat out"

ninthace

• Veteran Member
thanks very muchly, i shall be buying two for my poorly knees. Im good on the flat and uphill its just those pesky decents that kill my knees!!
  I presume you are using trekking poles to take the strain off too?
Solvitur Ambulando

Yorkshiremarv

I presume you are using trekking poles to take the strain off too?
Yeah ive got a decent ish pair that i always take when out walking. I find that i can control my walking pace with the pace that i use my arms, its good to get and keep a good rhythm with.
"if in doubt, flat out"

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
Glad I happened by. Those knee supports look interesting. My current ones keep my knees warm but that is just about it. On the thread topic; I marginally preferred S-N to N-S. The finish from M62 is a bit of a damp squib compared to the Cheviots although you sort of get drier heading south. Easier to get home from Edale.
That said; you are in the lap of the weather Gods in February. I hope they smile on you

John

mow1701

Having done both ways I’d opt for south to north as potentially more chance of hooking up in the evening with walkers on the same schedule in the pub in the evening. I certainly found that was the case in August 2018

Doddy

I went S-N and camped it other than three nights. Early on there are more settlements and I guess more accommodation and resupply points so you are well in the swing of things by the time you get further north.
I live in North Lincolnshire; if you were further south walking towards home does make sense. I finished abut five o'clock and shared a taxi to Berwick upon Tweed and managed to get home the same day.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I am giving the Pennine Way serious consideration around April but this time I will be going South to North, I can then go on to my son and wife in Edinburgh. I then have choices to return home, fly, train or to try BlaBlaCars.

As I'm retired I can wait for what looks like a good moment weather wise and then just go!

Slogger

• Veteran Member
Ive done it both ways, I preffered North to South but that may due to doing it a heatwave in May as opposed to extremely windy wet conditions in September for South to North. I carried 14kg each time which was ok apart from the lack of padding oln the shoulder straps. Going lean whilst camping means taking a chance on the weather, if it's wet you need more in the way of clothing. Ive backpacked routes in bad weather and ended up diving into B&B's, which defeats the object of carrying camping gear. One or two days in wet weather camping is not so bad but on the third day you get fed up of it and need somewhere to dry things out.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I know that 3rd day problem very well. It can really drag me down!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy