Author Topic: any advice for walks around StAustell ?  (Read 3009 times)

tenmilesplus

any advice for walks around StAustell ?
« on: 18:06:50, 01/01/18 »
Hiya, I have booked to go to StAustell in July and have bought the O/S Explorer 107 and low and behold find StAustell is on one edge so I might have to buy the other side which is spread over 105 and 106.. Bloody P.I.T.A. !!! Perhaps I should just get a map printed with St Austell  in the centre...

Any how, is there any day walks of around 10 miles that anyone could recommend ? We have been before, in the dim and distant past, but that was before the Eden project was built.. 
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

Pura Vida

Re: any advice for walks around StAustell ?
« Reply #1 on: 18:55:14, 01/01/18 »
Hi, either way on the coastal path would be my suggestion. St Austell, Pentewan, Meva, Gorran Haven and catch a bus back. OR St Austel, Charlestown, Par (Not particulalrly pretty), Fowey, bus return.
Those have come off the top of my head and would need to check the distances.

Good luck
Show a man a route then he will have an Adventure; Teach a man to navigate then he will have many adventures

John Walker

Re: any advice for walks around StAustell ?
« Reply #2 on: 19:04:23, 01/01/18 »
I agree with Pura Vida, a coastal walk near St. Austell would be excellent.  I think I favour the section to the South West.  So you could catch a bus from St. Austell to Mevagissey (they are quite frequent and only take around 30 mins.) then walk back along the coast, following the South West Coast Path signs, to Charlestown (really interesting harbour) which is more or less on the edge of St. Austell itself.
The distance would be about 10 miles.  Fantastic coastal views, plenty of mixed countryside, although quite a lot of climbing (total ascent probably more than 500m :-\ ?)
http://www.greenlives.org.uk/walk.html
National Trails completed: SWCP, Thames, SDW and NDW

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy