Author Topic: Glenfinnan Car Park  (Read 3135 times)

Lyndon

Glenfinnan Car Park
« on: 18:44:13, 19/07/17 »
I'm going to walk from Glenfinnan to Inverie soon and I was just wondering where the best place to park my car.

I have had a look on Google Maps and there seems to be a small car park just off the A830 and a Pay & Display at the Glenfinnan Monument.

Are they safe to leave a car for several days?

Is it possible to buy a multi-day ticket in the Pay & Display car park (it looks a bit safer)?

Any advice would be much appreciated...

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Glenfinnan Car Park
« Reply #1 on: 19:07:33, 19/07/17 »
I parked at the Glenfinnan train station (free).  If you are planning on returning to your car by train it might be worth contacting them to see if you could leave your car there? On the OS map it's where the Hotel / Museum / Hostel and Candle Workshop is

It's also just off the A830 and west of a small car park that I chose not to park in (they were building / renovating houses just in front of it and there was a lot of big machinery pulling into the car park to do 3 point turns  :-\  )... might that be the same small car park you're pondering on?

Can't help with the Monument one though I'm afraid  :(   

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:42:15, 19/07/17 »
Would it perhaps be safer and give you better piece of mind to park in the long stay car park at Fort William railway station and then get a train to Glenfinnan?
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:56:15, 23/07/17 »
I think you have to assume that cars left overnight are not safe anywhere!!!!!!!!!!

Recently, driving back from Scotland, got pulled at a police roadcheck looking for gangs of East Europeans out of Glasgow that had been targeting cars parked overnight.

They advised when leaving your car anywhere that you leave no valuables and DEMOSTRATE that the car is empty by opening dash compartment and taking hatchback parcel shelf off showing nothing in the boot.

On my quest for munros I tend to go to Scotland for extended periods, I have to take a lot of gear for walking, climbing, camping, cycling and I am often forced to leave my car overnight in vunerable places.

My tactics are to use one of our mountaineering club huts as a base and go out for single/multiday trips. On single or multiday trips I only take minimum gear required for the specific objective(s) locking the rest up safely in the hut, have been demostrating what is in the car (usually nothing) when I leave it, for decades.

I then return back to my base for rest, wash clothes, cook some proper food, plan the next trip etc.

When I leave my MTB in the middle of nowhere, I remove the wheels, hide the frame, then hide each wheel in seperate places in the first 200m along my route.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:07:33, 23/07/17 »
When I go off for a multiple-day hike my car is full of base camp equipment and clothing etc. I have the back seats folded down to accommodate it all, but it is hidden under an old double duvet cover.
My practice is to leave my car overnight in the middle of a village, in front of houses where the curtain-twitchers will be sure to keep an eye on it. Even better is if you see one of the householders in their garden or something, then you can ask with an air of innocence, Will my car be alright here for 2-3 days?
I've also found that the smaller, quieter campsites will usually let you leave your car there if you ask them nicely, though the bigger sites tend to want to charge you per night for it.
« Last Edit: 12:14:31, 23/07/17 by fernman »

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:34:41, 23/07/17 »
So there you are Lyndon............that's probably put you right off! Let's know what you think in post No.4

Lyndon

« Reply #6 on: 13:04:23, 28/07/17 »
Thanks All

We had an amazing time. Probably the hardest physical thing I have ever done, right on the limits of my endurance. But, oh so brilliant and rewarding. We had fantastic weather which really helped.

We actually parked at Fort William station in the long-stay car park and the car was untouched.

Oh, and the train ride back to Fort William from Mallaig is the most amazing and beautiful rail journey I have ever done.

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:24:05, 30/07/17 »
Brilliant!
Looking forward to the TR and photos.
How long did the walk take? And, what did you decide about the mussels?

Lyndon

« Reply #8 on: 13:27:53, 07/08/17 »
For those interested...

The walk took three days. We slept two nights in tents.

I did not see any mussels on the way (in Loch Nevis for example).

I did eat the best mussels I've ever eaten in Cornerstone's Fish Restaurant in Mallaig. Also had Cullen Skink soup which was absolutely fantastic.

Car was untouched when we got back to Fort William.

All four of us thought it one of the best things we'd ever done and also one of the hardest (physically).

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy