Author Topic: Water for Utah dayhikes  (Read 1452 times)

benny

Water for Utah dayhikes
« on: 09:05:15, 20/02/18 »
I'll be doing dayhikes in Utah nationalparks at the end of May. It could easily be 35C warm, plus dry climate and high altitude. I'm usually fine with heat, especially dry heat.

Water is still a concern, and as I'm a smallish woman I cannot carry a too big backpack. Plus, as I'm traveling to Utah for business to start with I need to carry my luggage (suits, evening gown, business materials) in a proper suitcase and cannot bring an additional big hiking pack along.

Thus: how much water would you carry on a day? How would you carry it? I was thinking of buying a bladder, and my daypack has a pouch for one (provided the opening of the bladder is fairly flat). I'm wondering though if the water would taste plasticky or rubbery. I'm somewhat oversensitive (just about not allergic) to soft plastics/rubbers. On the other hand a bladder might be easier to carry than round water bottles and will stay closest to my back. any brand recommendations, or advice on which one not to get?

Thanks.

wobblyknees

Re: Water for Utah dayhikes
« Reply #1 on: 10:01:39, 20/02/18 »
I'd go for Camelbak reservoir (up to 3 litre). I have one for years. Never washed or sterilized it. Never got a taste from it.

https://www.camelbak.com/en/gyb/select-product.aspx

benny

« Reply #2 on: 10:20:29, 20/02/18 »
Thanks a lot. The Antidote 3l probably fits into my backpack. I need to have a look when I get home tonight.

Btw, is the valve made of hard plastic or rubber/latex? This would be my biggest concern if those reservoirs are otherwise free of taste.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:50:18, 20/02/18 »
After trying out a couple of bladders I decided on the Source Wide. The best thing about it is its easy to clean (the top of the bladder opens fully) and it can be filled with water whilst still in the rucksack. You have to be a little careful of course, to make sure the water is actually going into the bladder. Do not do what I did once, filling it with a hose while talking to another hiker at the same time. I didn't notice when it overflowed!

benny

« Reply #4 on: 11:02:17, 20/02/18 »
After trying out a couple of bladders I decided on the Source Wide. The best thing about it is its easy to clean (the top of the bladder opens fully) and it can be filled with water whilst still in the rucksack. You have to be a little careful of course, to make sure the water is actually going into the bladder. Do not do what I did once, filling it with a hose while talking to another hiker at the same time. I didn't notice when it overflowed!

Those are very light-weight, which is nice. But is the opening fully waterproof, especially when scrambling (or slipping and falling). And what about taste and material of the valve?

I dont have a rubber allergy as such, but it's the materials use to make plastic and the likes soft. If I can taste it I might get blisters (not always, mind)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:00:07, 20/02/18 »
Camelbak or Platapuss every time.
I can remember a few years ago, when unwisely i thought of walking the Carneddau from Cwm Eigiau, in what proved to be nearly 29C heat.
I carried my extra large capacity Camelbak bladder, but even then i must have drunk well over five litres of water, after refilling it in Cwm Caseg, i just could not get the fluid down me quick enough.

In hind sight i should have turned around and gone home, but apart from the heat, it was a lovely day for a walk, no wind, just a fiery furnace.

If you know you are likely to experience very high temperatures, now may be the time to invest in a new Camelbak sack, at least then you will be fully prepared.

If you do have to go walking in very hot conditions, which can not be unavoided, at least go fully prepared.

There's no point in having to curtail a walk, because you have no got enough water.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:00:25, 20/02/18 »
My Source Wide has always been very reliable, it has never leaked. Its a bit old now so I think I'll buy a new one soon. I've never noticed water 'taste' problems. Its very easy to keep clean, with the top secure plastic removed I can get my hand in it right to the bottom. I clean the spout on a regular basis, thats easy as well. I use a bit of string with a knot at the end and just pull it through the tube section.

My previous bladder had a large plastic screw entry point, difficult to clean properly and when I needed to fill it I had to take out at least half of my rucksack gear to get to it properly.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:40:02, 20/02/18 »
Don't forget electrolytes. 

wobblyknees

« Reply #8 on: 10:25:19, 21/02/18 »

Btw, is the valve made of hard plastic or rubber/latex?
It's made of hard plastic -couldn't tell what type. I've never got a rubbery or latex taste from it.

I use a 2 litre reservoir but if I was walking in that heat, I'd take a 3 litre plus some extra bottles.

benny

« Reply #9 on: 13:09:07, 21/02/18 »
Thanks all, guys. I guess it'll be a camelbak, 3l one if it fits. And yes, of course electrolytes. I used to live in a desert country and know how to deal with heat and how to recognise overheating or heatstroke  :) I just don't have any proper kit at the moment.

Gadabout Bounder

« Reply #10 on: 08:36:19, 22/02/18 »
I'd be putting a Sawyer Mini in the rucksack as well.
'We've spilt the same blood in the same mud'

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy