Author Topic: DT Project  (Read 1125 times)

sbrown27

DT Project
« on: 18:50:52, 23/10/19 »

Hello all, 

For GSCE DT, I have to design a product that stores hiking/biking equipment in the back of a car. I have to consult with some stakeholders (this forum) about what they think
about my design (attached below). This could include good and bad points as well as suggestions and concerns. It would be greatly appreciated if you could let me know what you think.

Thank you in advance and let me know if you have any questions,
Sarah :)

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: DT Project
« Reply #1 on: 20:06:17, 23/10/19 »
I hate to say this but I think you'll find that 99.9% of the people on here simply put their hiking equipment in the boot of their car, while I expect the same goes for biking gear.

In my case there nothing more than a packed day sack, plus walking boots and a pair of poles. And that's it!
If the boots are muddy on my return, or if my waterproofs are wet, there is a multipurpose tarp permanently in the boot that I can put them on.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:26:58, 23/10/19 »
Hi Sarah,

Good luck with your DT project.  As someone who did a highly complicated project back in my school days, I can't say 'keep it simple' often enough.  You are better solving one problem very well, than trying to solve several problems with only a slight level of success.

Looks like a feasible plan and if you have to make it, remember your 'mock up' does not have to totally represent the finished product - which you may acknowledge could benefit from procedures such as vacuum moulding without actually doing it. 

In general what I'm looking for from boot based storage:

- Doesn't need to be too fancy in design, I won't be seeing it often - it's in the boot.
- Do you want to consider some carry handled which can be easily used to move a full product rather than grabbing it and potentially holding a weak point?
- Remember gear may be wet, muddy or sharp - so ideally a material like MDF will need some kind of coating, maybe a light rubber sheet you could stick to the material with glue which could take the majority of knocks.
- Not too big, realistically I wouldn't want to keep taking it out, it can live in a corner of a boot.

I'd absolutely would use this kind of thing - I climb, ski, hike and have mountain rescue equipment in my vehicle 100% of the time. Currently it is sorted into rucksacks, but being able to pick equipment more easily from a modular storage system seems great (for climbing in particular). 

Like fernman posted above, I currently use a rubber moulded insert which came with the vehicle and a general purpose tarp which goes on top of that which lives in the boot 100% of the time.

An idea might be to pivot the product away from purely hiking gear to car safety container for 4-seasons.  Often you want a place to store wiper fluid, ice scraper, spare water, warm spare jumper, jump leads, torch etc.  Having this in a 'gear bin' would do a lot of good for many people, especially if it is low cost and doesn't take up a huge amount of space.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:09:33, 23/10/19 »
Like others have said above, a boot lined with a tarp (or in my case cardboard) to protect from water and mud.

To be honest, I'd be more interested in a boot organiser for my monthly grocery shop - something structured that could be split or divided and wouldn't be too big as to be too heavy when full, and lifted out.  Carrier bags just end up falling over and spilling their contents so something to prevent that would be great  O0

wobblyknees

« Reply #4 on: 11:10:56, 24/10/19 »
To be honest, I'd be more interested in a boot organiser for my monthly grocery shop - something structured that could be split or divided and wouldn't be too big as to be too heavy when full, and lifted out.  Carrier bags just end up falling over and spilling their contents so something to prevent that would be great  O0

I use the plastic storage boxes that can be bought in any home store, usually in packs of 3 or 5. They sit inside each other when not in use. Ideal for shopping or gear storage and separation when car-pooling. One of my local supermarkets sells (or used to) the collapsable ones for use instead of shopping bags.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:28:33, 24/10/19 »
I use a  large supermarket shopping bag to transport my boots....it will take one pair comfortably and two with a squeeze. Can hour design be made to take several pairs of boots, somewhere to put wet over trousers and a wet jacket.
It's all uphill from here.

Warbler

« Reply #6 on: 14:42:46, 24/10/19 »
I take great pride in the untidiness of the boot of my car ;D. All I have is an old towel to sit my muddy boots on, and the rest goes where it fits.

sbrown27

« Reply #7 on: 18:53:24, 30/10/19 »
Hi Sarah,

Good luck with your DT project.  As someone who did a highly complicated project back in my school days, I can't say 'keep it simple' often enough.  You are better solving one problem very well, than trying to solve several problems with only a slight level of success.

Looks like a feasible plan and if you have to make it, remember your 'mock up' does not have to totally represent the finished product - which you may acknowledge could benefit from procedures such as vacuum moulding without actually doing it. 

In general what I'm looking for from boot based storage:

- Doesn't need to be too fancy in design, I won't be seeing it often - it's in the boot.
- Do you want to consider some carry handled which can be easily used to move a full product rather than grabbing it and potentially holding a weak point?
- Remember gear may be wet, muddy or sharp - so ideally a material like MDF will need some kind of coating, maybe a light rubber sheet you could stick to the material with glue which could take the majority of knocks.
- Not too big, realistically I wouldn't want to keep taking it out, it can live in a corner of a boot.

I'd absolutely would use this kind of thing - I climb, ski, hike and have mountain rescue equipment in my vehicle 100% of the time. Currently it is sorted into rucksacks, but being able to pick equipment more easily from a modular storage system seems great (for climbing in particular). 

Like fernman posted above, I currently use a rubber moulded insert which came with the vehicle and a general purpose tarp which goes on top of that which lives in the boot 100% of the time.

An idea might be to pivot the product away from purely hiking gear to car safety container for 4-seasons.  Often you want a place to store wiper fluid, ice scraper, spare water, warm spare jumper, jump leads, torch etc.  Having this in a 'gear bin' would do a lot of good for many people, especially if it is low cost and doesn't take up a huge amount of space.

Thank you for your help, your suggestions were very useful :)

sbrown27

« Reply #8 on: 18:54:56, 30/10/19 »
I use a  large supermarket shopping bag to transport my boots....it will take one pair comfortably and two with a squeeze. Can hour design be made to take several pairs of boots, somewhere to put wet over trousers and a wet jacket.

I didn't think of that but thanks, I'll incorporate this into my next design :)

sbrown27

« Reply #9 on: 19:04:17, 30/10/19 »
Like others have said above, a boot lined with a tarp (or in my case cardboard) to protect from water and mud.

thanks, i will think about this when i do my next design O0

sbrown27

« Reply #10 on: 19:13:54, 30/10/19 »
I hate to say this but I think you'll find that 99.9% of the people on here simply put their hiking equipment in the boot of their car, while I expect the same goes for biking gear.

In my case there nothing more than a packed day sack, plus walking boots and a pair of poles. And that's it!
If the boots are muddy on my return, or if my waterproofs are wet, there is a multipurpose tarp permanently in the boot that I can put them on.

i appreciate your honesty, i'll consider making my product more general use !

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy