Author Topic: Paramo Nikwax Windproof  (Read 2202 times)

Forkbeard

Paramo Nikwax Windproof
« on: 14:00:12, 10/05/19 »
I have a Paramo Fuera smock that I use mainly whn it's not raining, but am wondering if I can use Techwash or something similar to give it some degree of showerproofing? I don't seem to get along with most breathable fabric - it doesn't seem to breath on me! I've been looking for a waterproof and can't find one I'm willing to throw the cash at so am looking for a workaround.

Pitboot

Re: Paramo Nikwax Windproof
« Reply #1 on: 14:30:02, 10/05/19 »
Yes, I have one and regularly wash it in tech wash then re proof it with wash in , (green top then purple top.)
This gives some proofing but it will not stand up to a downpour, it was not designed to.
Worn over a decent wicking layer this makes a really good and flexible soft shell.
I have a so called hard shell (Goretex) just in case of heavy rain but I rarely use it.

A good alternative is a Paramo Bentu windproof jacket, it has direction waterproof panels in the hood and shoulders but the rest is just windproof material, you can pick them up for around £85. It's also got useful pockets, something that I find most windproof jackets lack.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:24:57, 10/05/19 »
I have a great windproof from Decathlon, works really well when it's dry and windy, useless in the rain as I found out yesterday. I'm awaiting delivery of a Rav Vital in the hope it will be better, couldn't resist it, dropped from £50 to £25. I don't worry about rain, its wind that I plan for. If it rains I just throw my waterproofs on.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:35:15, 10/05/19 »
As already stated wash regularly with Nikwax Tech Wash and reproof with Nikwax TX Direct wash in. The end result is only showerproof for a limited period of time. It's definitely not waterproof. The upside is that they dry very quickly and are one of the better breathable garments out there.

Check out the Aftercare section here https://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-gb/explore-range/product/?pk=22538762-164A-4879-908B-E7FF81D04D83

How do I look after this Páramo item?

This item works best if it is water repellent. Water repellency can be inhibited by dirt and residues left by normal washing detergents. It is therefore important to always use a soap based product such as Nikwax Tech Wash to clean your item and revive water repellency.

If, after cleaning, the fabric still absorbs water it’s time to reproof your item using Nikwax TX.Direct. This can be very easily done at home using your normal washing machine.

WASHWASHWASHWASH   
TECH WASH  £1.99 - £39.98   The No.1 easy to use, safe, high performance cleaner for wet weather clothing and equipment
          PROOFPROOFPROOFPROOF   
TX.DIRECT® WASH-IN
 £2.99 - £49.99   The No.1 easy to use, safe, high performance wash in waterproofing for wet weather clothing. Adds Durable Water Repellency and revives breathability - in a washing machine. 

I believe the Paramo Taiga Fleece (definitely not cheap) was originally designed to be worn under the Paramo Fuera to uprate the level of waterproofing provided. I'm not sure how effective they are at doing this though. They do occasionally appear for sale on eBay.
« Last Edit: 17:45:51, 10/05/19 by kinkyboots »

Pitboot

« Reply #4 on: 17:08:49, 10/05/19 »
I still have my original Taiga fleece and windproof from 1997, it was touted as being full analogy waterproof. In practice I could only wear the combo in very cold conditions, it was waterproof but it got too warm and I sweated profusely most of the time. The better combination was the windproof over a Parameter shirt, that was quite useful.
The windproof with a long sleeve wicking layer is the best option for walking in my opinion, but the same effect can probably achieved with a light soft shell, depends how fashionable you want to look!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:19:18, 10/05/19 »
I've never considered a windproof to be waterproof - I'm not sure they even claim to be  :-\   Light shower resistant perhaps but not waterproof.  Like gunwharfman says, great for windy dry days that might have an occasional spit-spot of rain.  Anything more than that and I put my "proper" waterproof on over the top (and as soon as it stops that comes off again).

No harm in trying the techwash/proof route if you already have the stuff to hand I guess.  It would be interesting to know how you get on, but maybe take a waterproof shell with you just in case  :)

Forkbeard

« Reply #6 on: 09:18:10, 31/05/19 »
I still have my original Taiga fleece and windproof from 1997, it was touted as being full analogy waterproof. In practice I could only wear the combo in very cold conditions, it was waterproof but it got too warm and I sweated profusely most of the time. The better combination was the windproof over a Parameter shirt, that was quite useful.
The windproof with a long sleeve wicking layer is the best option for walking in my opinion, but the same effect can probably achieved with a light soft shell, depends how fashionable you want to look!

I think that's going to be my problem - even in cold weather I only sometimes wear a fleece and even then end up taking it off because I'm overheating. Couple that with the price of the Taiga etc. I think I'll pass and take my chances with the rain :) . As kinkyboots says, at least they're quick drying.
« Last Edit: 09:22:29, 31/05/19 by Forkbeard »

Forkbeard

« Reply #7 on: 09:25:51, 31/05/19 »
I have a great windproof from Decathlon, works really well when it's dry and windy, useless in the rain as I found out yesterday. I'm awaiting delivery of a Rav Vital in the hope it will be better, couldn't resist it, dropped from £50 to £25. I don't worry about rain, its wind that I plan for. If it rains I just throw my waterproofs on.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, just go for some basic waterproofs.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy