Author Topic: I never thought of joining a forum like this  (Read 1715 times)

Bramblefoot

I never thought of joining a forum like this
« on: 19:14:18, 01/08/18 »
Hello!

I like walking, and the idea of rambling about, I've done a lot of smaller walks, camping,
yorkshire three peaks etc.

My partner will be moving soon and I thought, to save a hundred odd quid train ticket,
or an eight hour National Express ride, maybe I could walk to where she will be living
now and then. I checked on google, the walking route and the route would be 26 hours.
I checked it and it's all roads, which wouldn't be enjoyable, so I'm wondering if there is
a website or app that could point me in the right direction for large routes, possibly with
information on local routes while I'm there. Obviously if it's a long trip, I'd consider camping
or wild camping etc, hopefully she'll give me a lift home.

Thanks for having me, and for any suggestions, I'm looking forward to perusing the forum!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: I never thought of joining a forum like this
« Reply #1 on: 19:36:06, 01/08/18 »
Perhaps if you give an idea of the start/finish points the folks here would suggest some routes?
Where there's a will ...

Bramblefoot

« Reply #2 on: 19:51:30, 01/08/18 »
Cheers. It'd be from Nantwich, Cheshire, to up near Leeds, the accommodation hasn't been settled on yet

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:15:17, 02/08/18 »
It may not be much of a straight line but you could walk the canal tow-paths pretty much all the way.

Plenty of pubs on the way for R&R and maybe they'd even allow you to put a tent up for the night "round the back".

Canal folk are generally very accommodating and many would even offer a lift for a few miles, in return for a hand at the locks - another experience.

Bramblefoot

« Reply #4 on: 09:44:07, 02/08/18 »
That would be an amazing experience, thanks for the inspiration. I'll get looking at tow path routes.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:58:56, 02/08/18 »
That would be an amazing experience, thanks for the inspiration. I'll get looking at tow path routes.

Put in your start (Nantwich) and your finish (Leeds) and it will work out a route, distance and time (based on 3 mph) for you :

https://canalplan.eu/cgi-bin/canal.cgi

This is a trip of 120 miles, 4¾ furlongs and 142 locks from Nantwich Aqueduct to Leeds Basin.

This will take 71 hours and 41 minutes which is 10 days, 1 hour and 41 minutes at 7 hours per day

From Nantwich Aqueduct travel northwest on the Shropshire Union Canal (Birmingham and Liverpool Junction Canal - Main Line) for 2¼ furlongs to Nantwich Basin Entrance, then  travel northwest on the Shropshire Union Canal (Chester Canal - Nantwich to Bunbury) for 3 miles, 1½ furlongs to Barbridge Junction, then  travel northeast on the Shropshire Union Canal (Middlewich Branch) for 10 miles and 4 locks to Wardle Lock No 4, then  travel east on the Trent and Mersey Canal (Wardle Lock Branch) for 1 furlong to Middlewich Junction, then  travel northwest on the Trent and Mersey Canal (Main Line - Middlewich to Preston Brook) for 16 miles, 7¼ furlongs and 5 locks to Preston Brook, then  travel north on the Bridgewater Canal (Preston Brook Branch) for 6½ furlongs to Preston Brook - Waters Meeting, then  travel northeast on the Bridgewater Canal (Main Line) for 23 miles, 2½ furlongs to Castlefield Junction, then  travel east on the Rochdale Canal for 1 mile, 1½ furlongs and 9 locks to Ducie Street Junction, then  travel east on the Ashton Canal for 6 miles, 6½ furlongs and 18 locks to Ashton-under-Lyne Junction, then  travel northeast on the Huddersfield Narrow Canal for 23 miles, 7¼ furlongs and 74 locks to Aspley Basin, then  travel northeast on the Huddersfield Broad Canal for 3 miles, 4 furlongs and 9 locks to Cooper Bridge Junction, then  travel east on the Calder and Hebble Navigation (Main Line) for 12 miles, 6½ furlongs and 13 locks to Fall Ing Junction, then  travel northeast on the Aire and Calder Navigation (Wakefield Section) for 7 miles, 4 furlongs and 4 locks to Castleford Junction, then  travel northwest on the Aire and Calder Navigation (Main Line - Castleford to Leeds) for 10 miles and 5 locks to Leeds Bridge, then  travel west on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal (Main Line - Wigan to Leeds) for 2¼ furlongs and 1 lock to Leeds Basin.

This timing is based on working the locks (as a boater would), if you were just walking you would save about 15 minutes per lock (140 locks x 15 minutes = about 30 hours)

So the 'walking time' would be nearer 40 hours rather than 70 hours.
« Last Edit: 10:05:55, 02/08/18 by alan de enfield »

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:17:24, 02/08/18 »
If you look on the LDWA website you would find long distance walks you could string together for the journey back.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:21:36, 02/08/18 »
To find a route in any area of the country I always use www.gps-routes.co.uk first. All neatly laid out and with OS maps as well.

Bramblefoot

« Reply #8 on: 17:51:51, 02/08/18 »
I think it might be tricky going on such a long walk when looking at the canal routes, but something I definitely want to do at some point.

Thanks for all the pointers, just also wondering, are there any local groups or people I could go with on a wander at some point?

I'm local to south cheshire

Cheers!

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:37:56, 02/08/18 »
Look at NCW
The North Cheshire Way is Near Northwich at Marbury Park goe's all the Way to Disley to the Peak district then follow Peak forest canal to New Mills and onto Sett valley way to Hayfield and across to PW.  
The Pennine Way goes near Holmfirth and Huddersfield where you can possibly find a
Route to Leeds  :) O0

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:34:27, 03/08/18 »
I wouldn’t be remotely fit enough now to do full route, except over months. But I did about 30 miles of Leeds Liverpool canal earlier year...from Leeds end, in about 6 stages.

I like walking by sides of canal..and expected to enjoy the walks. They easily surpassed that expectation..really fine walking of its type.

« Last Edit: 16:40:13, 03/08/18 by pauldawes »

Bramblefoot

« Reply #11 on: 12:28:45, 04/08/18 »
Thank you again, the long distance routes look a lot more pleasant than going along the roads.

zuludog

« Reply #12 on: 14:23:59, 04/08/18 »
I would get the relevant 1:50,000 OS maps - Landranger - then you can see where the route would take you and work out alternatives
Either borrow them from your library, or this is a good & cheap supplier - www.dash4it.co.uk

A couple of years ago I did a walk which takes in much of what you might want to do. I started at Marple, SE of Stockport, then followed the canal up through Hyde, Ashton-under-Lyne to Mossley then onto the Pennine Way
I stopped at Hebden Bridge, but you could go on to join the Leeds & Liverpool canal at East Marton, then on to Leeds, but as ZigZag suggested you might be able to cut the corner and head off to Leeds sooner - that's what the map's for. On the other hand, canal walking makes the navigation easy
I have also walked the L &L canal in that area, around the south Pennines/Skipton

Canal walking is simple enough - flat, good path, fairly direct compared to some footpaths, and avoids roads. They go through varied scenery - rural, urban, and industrial (that is, after all, why they were built); it's easy enough to come off them into towns & villages for shopping or accommodation, or if you decide to have a rest and catch a bus
And the PW is well served with food & accommodation. In fact for that whole route you will be in easy distance of pubs, towns, & villages

You asked about groups. I am in www.backpackersclub.co.uk
As the name implies we go backpacking & camping, but sometimes for day walks. The Cheshire branch is quite keen & active. You could ask if they have anything planned in the near future
Or you could inqire about your local Ramblers, formerly called The Ramblers Association. They are pleasant enough and easygoing

Oh, I've just had a thought (I do that sometimes!) For walking north , instead of the Pennine Way, have a look at The Pennine Bridleway. This is intended to be used by horse riders & cyclists as well as walkers, which means it's a bit easier - gentler slopes and better surface
« Last Edit: 14:51:07, 04/08/18 by zuludog »

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:31:01, 04/08/18 »
Hi B.F and welcome from the Peak District O0

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy