Author Topic: Photographers Question & Answers corner  (Read 87873 times)

Crock-Knees

Re: Photographers Question & Answers corner
« Reply #15 on: 17:26:29, 14/01/11 »
Can I upload pics straight to a post, or must I use a host site, such as photobucket?

Thank you anyone in advance!

John  O0
By the time a man is wise enough to watch his step, he's too old to go anywhere.

- Billy Crystal.

dellwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 19:14:50, 14/01/11 »

Crock-Knees

« Reply #17 on: 20:33:04, 14/01/11 »

by following the tutorial in the Photography section.
Paul

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,5138.0.html

Which I didn't find!!!  ;D

Fortunately I am used to Photo-bucket and its use.
Thanks Kindly Glyno!

John
By the time a man is wise enough to watch his step, he's too old to go anywhere.

- Billy Crystal.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 20:54:17, 14/01/11 »
John,

You've probably sussed it by now, but what I do is... go to Photobucket, select whatever image I want and click on IMG code - this copies it.
I then just paste it into my post on here.

Hope that makes sense,

Glyn.

Crock-Knees

« Reply #19 on: 22:11:09, 14/01/11 »
John,

You've probably sussed it by now, but what I do is... go to Photobucket, select whatever image I want and click on IMG code - this copies it.
I then just paste it into my post on here.

Hope that makes sense,

Glyn.

Absolutely... Thanks Glyn.

John  O0

- Billy Crystal.

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 14:36:18, 15/01/11 »
Sounds like you've left something on sensor, you could have another go with the wipes. But to be honest if you haven't got a loupe so you can look at the sensor to see exactly where the dust is you are just blindly wiping away at the front of your sensor. The Sony A700 is well known for been a pain to keep clean, I used to get mine cleaned every 6 months or so by the local camera shop, they charged £35. My new Canon is supposed to be much better with regards dirt on the sensor, but I've not had it long enough yet to make any real comparison!

Gary

Thanks Gary - I think I'll have several blind sweeps and then get it cleaned properly O0

dibble

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 07:12:42, 29/01/11 »
Where does everyone store their photos?  I'm currently taking all of mine
off my computer and putting them onto discs.  Is that a goood idea?

What does everyone else do?
“A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you." JN.Harris

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 07:55:13, 29/01/11 »
I'm doing the same Dibbs, as well as having a seperate hard drive. O0

Crock-Knees

« Reply #23 on: 08:25:32, 29/01/11 »
I use CD discs but recently I invested in two large-capacity external drives. Everything goes onto those (The externals are mirror copies of each other. Belt and Braces as it were.) The drives can be connected/disconnected via USB at will, so no fuss with prepping or installation. I also have software (Handy Recovery) that allows me to recover photographs from the  memory cards and the discs after deletion. (As long as they aren't overwritten.) 

I still have a few old-fashioned prints knocking around in albums mind!

HTH

Regards
John  O0

- Billy Crystal.

dibble

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 09:16:14, 29/01/11 »
Thank you John and RPete.  :) :)   I'm just using the discs at the mo as I don't have
an external hard drive, but will think about getting one.   O0 O0 O0
“A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you." JN.Harris

Granty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 13:10:52, 29/01/11 »
They're cheap enough now Dibs so worth getting one. Quick tip though, never rely on just one storage place for photos - cos if it goes tits up you'll be gutted.
Check out SLP Photography Derbyshire Wedding Photographer

Crock-Knees

« Reply #26 on: 14:06:39, 29/01/11 »
I just had a thought Dibbs..

If you have some old drives hanging about:

I had a PC motherboard go belly-up on me, which meant I had to format the drive for the new board, or buy a new drive too.
I bought the new drive, and kept the old one. I got an 'enclosure' to turn it into an external drive. Once I had recovered what I needed, I formatted the drive and now use it as an external storage drive, for PDF woodwork plans etc.

These  enclosures are just plug and play into a USB socket, and if you set the drive as a Master, that's all you need do.
You can buy these enclosures for IDE drives or SATA Drives.  Inexpensive, easy to assemble and solve a problem if you have old drives you thought were redundant.

HTH

Regards
John  O0

- Billy Crystal.

dellwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 16:01:54, 29/01/11 »
I just had a thought Dibbs..

If you have some old drives hanging about:

I had a PC motherboard go belly-up on me, which meant I had to format the drive for the new board, or buy a new drive too.
I bought the new drive, and kept the old one. I got an 'enclosure' to turn it into an external drive. Once I had recovered what I needed, I formatted the drive and now use it as an external storage drive, for PDF woodwork plans etc.

These  enclosures are just plug and play into a USB socket, and if you set the drive as a Master, that's all you need do.
You can buy these enclosures for IDE drives or SATA Drives.  Inexpensive, easy to assemble and solve a problem if you have old drives you thought were redundant.

HTH

Regards
John  O0

I accept what you say John, and if you know what you are doing it is an option, but I went through all this with 2 spare hard drives I had. One failed almost immediately and the other got very noisy. In my opinion it is just not worth all the messing about. My photos are too valuable to me to risk loosing. I have a seperate external hard drive which I replecated my hard drive on to. It is worth getting a decent one. I got a WD (stands for Western Digital) 500gb, like this one
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/wd-elements-external-hard-drive-500gb-03661647-pdt.html

WD provided free access to any programs you might need (like Accronis) should you wish to replicate you main hard drive .

A proper external drive will just operate automatically, including closing down as part of the computer closing down process.

Granty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 16:58:25, 29/01/11 »
I use a 2.5" 500gb Seagate external HDD with a dock. The advantage for me, is I can take it where I please without having to worry about plugging it in. Plus I hate having to faff about digging stuff out, plugging it in etc etc hence why my two 500gb 3.5" HDD's with plug's are just sat around not doing much except storing the duplicate photos I transfer across every now and again.

A 2.5" 500gb HDD will set you back about £45 now days. Very cheap.
Check out SLP Photography Derbyshire Wedding Photographer

garyr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 16:59:15, 29/01/11 »
Dibble, the safest place for your photos is on CD/DVD. Like everything to do with computers internal/external drives can fail/corrupt occasionally. I keep everything on a couple of drives, but the really important stuff is always backed-up onto a DVD for safe keeping!
Another tip if saving jpeg files (?) always keep a 'master' copy of the image that you never save over. Jpeg format 'losses' colour information every time you save the image, so it degrades the image.

Gary

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy