Author Topic: Redditch walks  (Read 2186 times)

tenmilesplus

Redditch walks
« on: 23:21:09, 21/01/19 »
Hiya, I have booked a couple of days at Southcrest Manor hotel B974JS near Redditch and I was wondering if there was any good 8 / 10 mile walks to be done around there, I would rather not travel too far in the car. Malverns and Kidderminster are well trod by my boots and this place came up as a Dinner Bad and Breakfast and I fancied a change. I shall be going 20 - 23 Feb ( Wed - Fri ).. I'm having trouble getting the right map because Redditch is on the edge of three, 219 + 220 + 204.. I don't do technology so don't mention digital mapping.. I do like any type of walk terrain, from Mountain to canal but I do like to get the feel of an area so if there are any hills etc can you recommend a decent walk ?
 Have you a general opinion of the area ( for walking I mean ) ?
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: Redditch walks
« Reply #1 on: 09:54:56, 22/01/19 »
Why on earth would anyone go to Redditch for a walking break I thought. So I looked at the map (Bing) - mostly within walking distance of your, very comfy looking hotel, you have the:
Monarch's Way
Arden Way
Millennium Way
Heart of England Way
Wychavon Way
Birmingham Canal towpath
and an absolutely amazing number of footpaths linking everything up. I would just have to invest in maps to explore the area - especially as finding a hill to review from it would be difficult - best I could find was 142m but then if everywhere else is flat that just might do. looks like lots of history to investigate too
Have fun - if your hotel was a good price too I reckon that should be a great trip.

« Last Edit: 09:58:41, 22/01/19 by Jac »
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:23:48, 22/01/19 »
Hiya, I have booked a couple of days at Southcrest Manor hotel B974JS near Redditch and I was wondering if there was any good 8 / 10 mile walks to be done around there, I would rather not travel too far in the car. Malverns and Kidderminster are well trod by my boots and this place came up as a Dinner Bad and Breakfast and I fancied a change. I shall be going 20 - 23 Feb ( Wed - Fri ).. I'm having trouble getting the right map because Redditch is on the edge of three, 219 + 220 + 204.. I don't do technology so don't mention digital mapping.. I do like any type of walk terrain, from Mountain to canal but I do like to get the feel of an area so if there are any hills etc can you recommend a decent walk ?
 Have you a general opinion of the area ( for walking I mean ) ?
There is some lovely countryside around Studley which is only a couple of miles south of Redditch, depending where you are staying.. You could start a walk from the Church about half mile east of Studley, called The Nativity of the Blessed. The Arden way passes right by and there is a car park. The Millennium way joins up with it too.A little further east is the heart of England way which also joins the Arden way.There are some really nice circular walks to be had.....
I am fortunate in that I live only 8 miles from Studley and have walked there many times.If you are into stately homes there is Coughton Court nearby . There is a connection with Guy Fawkes and where friends met or stayed...not quite sure..In my opiniopn the best maps to buy would be Explorer 220 & 205. The best walks are East of the A453 near Studley in my opinion. look our for Bannam wood..some nice views from the top of the hills there. Wild deer too. Some super countryside.....
PS..take in Wootton Wawen, there is a 1000 year old church there, a real beauty from the outside in bright sunlight. It is made from light stone and is very photogenic around midday when sunny.! http://www.fotothing.com/photos/2af/2af47a71d9371795f57cdbc446d18097_4b6.jpg..
Also look into walking to and through Henley in Arden.. 5 miles east of Studley
« Last Edit: 11:16:51, 22/01/19 by GinAndPlatonic »
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:47:21, 22/01/19 »
Have a look on map 220.You could start at the Church>Manior farm>Spring farm>then NE of Bannam Wood along the Heart Of England way>past Alne wood> Heart of England way to Coughton Court>then north back toward your start point at the church.About 12 miles.

tenmilesplus

« Reply #4 on: 22:54:14, 22/01/19 »
Brilliant, thank you for your advice.. Does sound good, I will get the 220 and 205..

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:08:30, 25/01/19 »
Brilliant, thank you for your advice.. Does sound good, I will get the 220 and 205..
I really hope you sort some nice routes & the weather is kind.It would be good to hear how it goes. O0

tenmilesplus

« Reply #6 on: 19:10:11, 18/02/19 »

Well time has passed and the trip to Redditch is this week, we have been looking through some old Walking Magazines to get some ideas for places to see, we have marked out the route that Gin and Platonic suggested so that will be our main walk out.
  The places to go for lunch are going to be exciting to find, possibly a pub or few.. I will report back when we get back..

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:28:38, 18/02/19 »
Well time has passed and the trip to Redditch is this week, we have been looking through some old Walking Magazines to get some ideas for places to see, we have marked out the route that Gin and Platonic suggested so that will be our main walk out.
  The places to go for lunch are going to be exciting to find, possibly a pub or few.. I will report back when we get back..
The White Swan in Henley is a nice place..good food..half way along the high street..then walk along the same side and buy yourself a nice Henley ice cream at the 16th Century ice cream parlour..ask someone where to buy the best ice cream in Henley.. ;)

dave_p

« Reply #8 on: 09:03:43, 19/02/19 »
Best choices for hills near Redditch are the Lickey Hills and the Clent Hills.  There's a lovely walk I've done a few times from Beacon Hill carpark in the Lickey Hills, along the North Worcestershire path, through Waseley Hills to the Clent Hills and back.  Really lovely countryside on the edge of Birmingham there, lots of great views and a cafe at the half way point in Clent.  It's about 11-12 miles but not hard.

tenmilesplus

« Reply #9 on: 12:05:13, 08/05/19 »
Well the trip to Redditch went well, weather was good which helps, also the hotel was good too although I wouldn't drink the wine unless you have some paint to strip..

Plenty of Countryside and the walking we did included a canal, reservoir, hills and a view over the fields, the footpaths were good in general but as is normal with most places, the signage can be much better so a Map is very important.. Plenty of dual Carriageways to get around for driving but too few pubs, the one we found was pleasant enough..

It's no Lake District or Peak district and it could be argued it is no different to anywhere else but it was nice to get away for a day or two. We did enjoy it and were pleasantly surprised and the amount of Countryside and how few Housing estates there are compared to the Reading area where we come from.. One thing we noticed was how few local accents we heard compared to the overwhelming amount of Metropolitan South Eastern accents there were.. One thing we look forward to is getting away from the posh London people but we seem to meet them wherever we go.. Local accents add to the experience of travelling to another part of the Country but accents seem to be vanishing, sadly..

All in though we would go again, possibly to a different Hotel..

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:24:16, 08/05/19 »
Well the trip to Redditch went well, weather was good which helps, also the hotel was good too although I wouldn't drink the wine unless you have some paint to strip..

Plenty of Countryside and the walking we did included a canal, reservoir, hills and a view over the fields, the footpaths were good in general but as is normal with most places, the signage can be much better so a Map is very important.. Plenty of dual Carriageways to get around for driving but too few pubs, the one we found was pleasant enough..

It's no Lake District or Peak district and it could be argued it is no different to anywhere else but it was nice to get away for a day or two. We did enjoy it and were pleasantly surprised and the amount of Countryside and how few Housing estates there are compared to the Reading area where we come from.. One thing we noticed was how few local accents we heard compared to the overwhelming amount of Metropolitan South Eastern accents there were.. One thing we look forward to is getting away from the posh London people but we seem to meet them wherever we go.. Local accents add to the experience of travelling to another part of the Country but accents seem to be vanishing, sadly..

All in though we would go again, possibly to a different Hotel..
I like the area not least because it only takes me 30 minutes to get there. You are right with there being very few if any, housing estates and it really is a lovely rural area..It was good to read your thoughts.

tenmilesplus

« Reply #11 on: 13:47:54, 08/05/19 »
It was our first visit and a bit of a last minute decision to go, we know absolutely nothing about the area too.. Multiple visits and getting to know a new area is all part of the fun but our first impression is positive, we wasn't expecting much but we discovered a green and open space, even in late Winter.. we should go back later in the year to get a different view of what the area looks like..

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy