Author Topic: TR 1st attempt - an amble around Hamble  (Read 2992 times)

Warbler

TR 1st attempt - an amble around Hamble
« on: 15:31:50, 01/05/19 »

My first attempt at a TR, so go easy on me.

Having barely being able to move for 3 or 4 days due to straining my back shifting garden waste I thought I'd try an easy local walk.

Starting from the busy B3397 I took the cycle/footpath towards Victoria Country Park before doubling back to visit the Netley Military cemetery.

Cemetery Gates

All these head stones seemed remarkably new considering they where all dated during WW1. I need to read up on this.

I followed the cycle path into Victoria Country Park.

Chapel in Victoria Country Park

The recently refurbished chapel is all that remains of Royal Victoria Military Hospital. There was originally large wings extending either side of the chapel.

Further around the park was a recently developed fairy garden. The centre piece was a castle sculpted from the remains of a diseased 140 year old cedar tree.

Fairytale castle

The chapel from the pier head on Southampton water

Leaving the country park I followed the Solent Way along the banks of Southampton Water, with views of the BP terminal pier and Fawley petro-chemical works across the water......mmm nice.

A short stretch of that pesky loose shingle

Beyond the BP pier I eventually came to a WW2 anti-aircraft gun positioned close to Hamble Point. This was given a good spruce up not too many years ago and was looking good. Then the local council claimed the concrete base that the gun sits on was beginning to crumble in places. They made the decision, presumably based on safety, to build a fence around it, rather than repair/maintain the base. Now it can barely be seen.

Big gun - can you see it?

Leaving Hamble point I crossed the road and entered Hamble Common, eventually passing marshland and creeks fed from the River Hamble.

Creeky

The Pink Ferry

Onto Hamble foreshore and the unmissable Hamble/Warsash pink ferry, then called in for a refreshing end of walk pint in the Bugle Inn.

All in all a pleasant very level walk of about 4.5 miles, and no after effects with my back, in fact it's improved no end. I was beginning to get a bit concerned with it as I'm supposed to be setting off on Offa's Dyke path next week.

Thanks for viewing.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: TR 1st attempt - an amble around Hamble
« Reply #1 on: 17:04:21, 01/05/19 »
Lovely walk  Hood TR. I never seem to be able (a) to find the words to do sensible TRS and (b) remember enough to be able to make sense.

I tend to wander off at a whim if something catches my eye, or just lose myself in thought and wake up a mile or so off route.
Again thanks for a good TR.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Warbler

« Reply #2 on: 19:06:35, 01/05/19 »

Thanks jimbob.

As I said, this is my first TR and it took literally hours to compile. In fact it took longer than the actual walk  :) . I'm hoping it gets easier for future efforts.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:37:41, 01/05/19 »
Interesting TR and good photos Warbler    :)

The wooded creeks remind me of nearby Chichester Harbour, one of my favourite areas for walking

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:56:22, 01/05/19 »
This brings back memories of when I used to live in Southampton. I have been to Victoria Country Park and walked by the Hamble many times in the past. There were some good pubs in the area, including the Bugle, Whyte Harte, Ship Inn and Jolly Sailor, all of which I may have visited in the past.

I have also been to the oil terminal and refinery for work many years ago.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:32:02, 01/05/19 »
Very nice first trip report and pics Warbler  O0

I love the wood stump carved fairytale castle.

I too can appreciate the "stunning" views of massive industrial chemical works  :-\

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:38:31, 01/05/19 »
Great TR and pics, looking forward to your next one  O0

Warbler

« Reply #7 on: 23:39:06, 01/05/19 »
Interesting TR and good photos Warbler    :)

The wooded creeks remind me of nearby Chichester Harbour, one of my favourite areas for walking

Thanks Dovegirl. I have Chichester Harbour area pencilled in for a visit  O0

This brings back memories of when I used to live in Southampton. I have been to Victoria Country Park and walked by the Hamble many times in the past. There were some good pubs in the area, including the Bugle, Whyte Harte, Ship Inn and Jolly Sailor, all of which I may have visited in the past.

I have also been to the oil terminal and refinery for work many years ago.

There is also the Rising Sun across the river in Warsash, just a short hop on the pink ferry  O0

Very nice first trip report and pics Warbler  O0

I love the wood stump carved fairytale castle.

I too can appreciate the "stunning" views of massive industrial chemical works  :-\

Thanks Mel. That's urban walking for ya. Views like that are always going to be somewhere close  :(

Great TR and pics, looking forward to your next one  O0

Thanks Ridge. I hope it gets easier though  :)

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 05:43:20, 02/05/19 »
Really enjoyed the TR, Warbler - just goes to show how much of interest there can be right on our doorsteps, doesn't all have to be mountains and moors.  :) O0

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 07:13:25, 02/05/19 »
That was a great TR..great photos and not too many either. An easy, enjoyable read, made more interesting because my family used to visit the area most years when we we young.I reckon if you keep the pics and words brief, they are still so very interesting, & your future TR`s will be very enjoyable too. O0
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 07:27:24, 02/05/19 »
Good local walk and photos with much of local interest O0.
The carved castle is a real curio.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:22:51, 02/05/19 »
I enjoyed your 1st report Warbler, loving the fairy castle  O0
Hate will never win

Warbler

« Reply #12 on: 20:37:44, 02/05/19 »

Thanks for all your positive comments O0

In terms of content it was quite easy as I know the area. See how it goes in unfamiliar territory.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:58:45, 02/05/19 »
I echo others comments - a really good TR and lovely photos too. O0
It's a shame they erected that ugly fence around the gun, rather than repair the base. Perhaps it was due to cost?
And yes, the carved fairy tale castle is lovely 8)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:43:21, 26/05/19 »
There is also the Rising Sun across the river in Warsash, just a short hop on the pink ferry  O0
I believe I have also visited that establishment. I also do my first offshore survival course at Warsash about 30 years ago. I don’t recall the pink ferry. Perhaps it arrived after I left the area.
« Last Edit: 22:30:45, 26/05/19 by Bigfoot_Mike »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy