Author Topic: TR Langdale weekend  (Read 2351 times)

karl h

• Veteran Member
TR Langdale weekend
« on: 20:19:26, 08/08/17 »
Me, daughter Emily and my nephew Harry headed up to Great Langdale, we arrived at our usual campsite at Bayesbrown farm to find it closed due to flooding. So we drove down to the small site at Tarn Foot beautifully situated next to Loughrigg Tarn.
Lovely view of the Langdale Pikes from the small hill above the site.
The Pikes again but this time with added Loughrigg Tarn.
Loughrigg swans.
After tea we had a short but enjoyable stroll up to Loughrigg Fell. This is looking over to the Coniston fells the distinctive "dip" is Wrynose pass..
Really nice evening light on High and Low Pike
View south to Windermere from the cairn at 289 Mtrs.
and the view to the west looking over Loughrigg tarn and Elter Water to the Coniston fells.
Soon the top is in sight.
Emily and Harry at the top. Most of the Fairfield Horseshoe laid out behind..

I love this view along the central fault all the way to Lonscale Fell.
Later in the evening we realised we were in for a treat as a really nice sunset developed. We sat on the little hill and watched the show unfurl.
A lovely end to the day.
Sunday was a duller day and rain was forecast for the afternoon so we set out early to walk a route I have done many times. From Chapel Stile, over Lingmoor and back along the valley. The tree from which the rope swing used to hang has broken and fell into the water.
Looking down stream.
We climbed up through the quarry.
As usual we had an explore in the level just off the path
" I Know where there is a really cool cave"   "Fab, lets buy a headtorch and have look in"  Take the headtorch out of the packet, throw packet by cave entrance. Muppets..( Sorry for the rant but I really hate litter )
Next stop the cairn at 343 Mtrs for a great view of Betsy Crag quarry, Wetherlam, Swirl how and the Carrs..
Oak Howe Needle.
Closer view of Greenburn with Wetherlam Edge on the left then The Prison, Swirl How and The Carrs. The ridge on the right is Wet Side Edge where I came down a couple of weeks ago
Over the wall to the east is the Helvellyn group then Seat Sandal, Grisedale Hause, Fairfield and Hart Crag.
Heading along Lingmoor. The clouds are gathering over the Crinkles.
Even on a dullish day the heather was stunning. Navigation is easy on Lingmoor just follow the wall all the way to the top which has the separate name of Brown How...
Lingmoor is famed for it's views of the Langdale Pikes and Bowfell.  Bowfell has now succumbed to the cloud and it was quite cold in the wind so we didn't dilly dally on the descent..
Just as I took this picture of Lingmoor tarn, the Blea Rigg ridge and Helvellyn the forecast rain came and it was freezing so it was camera away and head for the valley.
Our routes were  Saturday evening - Tarn Foot - Ivy Crag - Loughrigg fell - Intake Wood - Loughrigg Tarn - Tarn Foot( about 2 miles 800ft ascent )Sunday Morning - Chapel Stile - Burlington slate quarry - Banks quarry - Lingmoor fell - Brown How on Lingmoor Fell - Great Langdale - Chapel Stile ( about 8 miles 1600ft ascent )

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Langdale weekend
« Reply #1 on: 20:32:24, 08/08/17 »
Really lovely photos Karl O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:45:04, 08/08/17 »
Some lovely photos Karl, well done  O0

Good to see the kids enjoying themselves  :)

Regards Keith

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:19:50, 08/08/17 »
Karl, what a lovely set of photos indeed. And how refreshing that it's not the typical Langdale fells routes i.e. something different from what I posted myself recently.

For my favourite photo I am split between the reflective swans and the view of the cleft along to Lonscale Fell. I know I have been up there, but in the days before me 'knowing' the fells as well as I do now. It is many years since I went up Loughrigg, but I think it might be on get cards for a revisit very soon.

Cheers.

I love the way these boards inspire us to revisit known places as well as explore new horizons.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:35:35, 08/08/17 »
Great photos Karl, I had to power up the laptop to view them properly as they look very odd on my phone.

Lovely to see the kids in the hills.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:30:59, 09/08/17 »
Very enjoyable TR, Karl, and great photos - that sunset really is beautiful and the heather does look magnificent, even without the sunshine.  :) O0

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:54:34, 09/08/17 »
Fab photos Karl  O0 You got a better sunset view than we did from Seat Sandal although it was ok.

Emily looks really grown up now  :)

I love the swan shot and the sunset reflecting in Loughrigg Tarn, superb shots  O0
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:01:57, 09/08/17 »
Wonderful views - that Lingmoor walk is one I need to do, and has just moved up the list a way!

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:58:35, 09/08/17 »
great pics and write up karl ...  O0
whens the next WC ...  8)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:41:50, 09/08/17 »
Superb evening shots  O0
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:46:00, 09/08/17 »
Really lovely photos Karl O0
Ta Tracey ;)

Some lovely photos Karl, well done  O0 
Good to see the kids enjoying themselves  :)

Regards Keith
Cheers Keith O0

Karl, what a lovely set of photos indeed. And how refreshing that it's not the typical Langdale fells routes i.e. something different from what I posted myself recently.
For my favourite photo I am split between the reflective swans and the view of the cleft along to Lonscale Fell. I know I have been up there, but in the days before me 'knowing' the fells as well as I do now. It is many years since I went up Loughrigg, but I think it might be on get cards for a revisit very soon.
Cheers.
I love the way these boards inspire us to revisit known places as well as explore new horizons.

Thank you Sarah O0  I have a special feeling for Lingmoor as It was the first fell i climbed and the one I've climbed the most :)

Great photos Karl, I had to power up the laptop to view them properly as they look very odd on my phone.
Lovely to see the kids in the hills.

Cheers Ridge O0  The photos do look strange on my phone as well..stretched out and distorted ???

Very enjoyable TR, Karl, and great photos - that sunset really is beautiful and the heather does look magnificent, even without the sunshine.  :) O0

You're very kind Adalard O0

Fab photos Karl  O0  You got a better sunset view than we did from Seat Sandal although it was ok.
Emily looks really grown up now  :)
I love the swan shot and the sunset reflecting in Loughrigg Tarn, superb shots  O0
Thanks A O0  I'd have give you a wave if I'd known you were on Seat Sandal ( the special wave with just two fingers  ;D )

Wonderful views - that Lingmoor walk is one I need to do, and has just moved up the list a way!

Thanks pdstsp O0  Yes get to Lingmoor..it's great ;)

great pics and write up karl ...  O0 
whens the next WC ...  8)

Cheers mate O0  Allen Crags this Sunday....see you there, bring gas ;D

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:46:39, 09/08/17 »
Superb evening shots  O0
Cheers Pleb O0

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:23:30, 10/08/17 »
Thanks A O0  I'd have give you a wave if I'd known you were on Seat Sandal ( the special wave with just two fingers  ;D )

:o And I was so complimentary about your photos  :o  ;D
Hate will never win

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:25:57, 13/08/17 »
Fantastic photos Karl, really like the view of the Langdale Pikes across Loughrigg Tarn O0

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:43:08, 15/08/17 »
Fantastic photos Karl, really like the view of the Langdale Pikes across Loughrigg Tarn O0

Ta Henry, glad you enjoyed the pics O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy