Author Topic: TR - A Langdale Round, an Esk Pike sunrise, and a Great End breakfast!  (Read 3008 times)

beefy

• Veteran Member
lovely pics Richard and a cracking sunrise, I really must try to get up earlier ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

BrionyB

I really like the look of the Crinkle Crags/Bowfell area, very rocky and mountainous and dramatic.  O0

Sounds like it's still quite busy on the hills, would have thought it might be quieter mid-week by now with people going back to work and school etc? I have a few days in the Lakes planned at the end of the month and was hoping to avoid the crowds. Though the weather forecast is looking cool and rainy, which should help...  :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Great write up Richard! Really enjoyed your report even though I wasn't sure where you exactly were, not knowing the LD hills too well. It seems to me that just about every hill and hillock in the Lake District has a name. This is unlike the hills in Scotia.......I can see four Munros from my front window, all with Gaelic names. The various lumps and bumps on them don't have names.

Thanks Sparnel.  :) 
I suspect that the Clearances may have resulted in a lot of names being lost in the Highlands, as well as antagonism towards the Gaelic language. Whereas the Lakeland Fells have been heavily farmed and mined for many centuries - there are stone dykes running across some of the higher hills.

I'm fascinated by the names of the fells and other features here in the Lakes - many are of Viking origin, but I suspect that other influences creep in - Pen, for example, possibly of Welsh origin, likewise Black Combe (pronounced Coom, rather like Cwm). Also Langstrath, one of the valleys that I passed above, sounds rather Scottish to me!

And then there are beautiful names like Glenderamakin and Glenderaterra, two becks either side of Blencathra (another great name).
« Last Edit: 20:40:42, 17/09/20 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Enjoyed that, nice one O0  Been around the Bowfel/Langdale area a few times and never tire of the area. Good stuff  O0

Thanks Redeye; wonderfully complex and rough country.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
lovely pics Richard and a cracking sunrise, I really must try to get up earlier ;D

Thanks Beefy  :)  There have been some beautiful sunsets too - tonight's was a cracker here in the South Lakes, horizontal bands of eggshell blue, salmon, peach and plum once the sun had gone down. Stunning.

Getting easier to catch the sunrise now that the days are getting shorter.
« Last Edit: 20:53:34, 17/09/20 by richardh1905 »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
I really like the look of the Crinkle Crags/Bowfell area, very rocky and mountainous and dramatic.  O0

Sounds like it's still quite busy on the hills, would have thought it might be quieter mid-week by now with people going back to work and school etc? I have a few days in the Lakes planned at the end of the month and was hoping to avoid the crowds. Though the weather forecast is looking cool and rainy, which should help...  :)

The best high level ridge walk in the Lakes, in my opinion.
Should be easy to avoid the crowds - just stay away from the obvious routes up the well known hills. I didn't meet that many people on Crinkle Crags and Bowfell, but there were a lot on the Langdale Pikes. Whereabouts are you going?

BrionyB

The best high level ridge walk in the Lakes, in my opinion.
Should be easy to avoid the crowds - just stay away from the obvious routes up the well known hills. I didn't meet that many people on Crinkle Crags and Bowfell, but there were a lot on the Langdale Pikes. Whereabouts are you going?

It looks stunning from your photos, will definitely have to explore around there some time.

I'll be in the Patterdale area, which I know quite well. So beautiful and so many great walks along that valley that I never get bored of it. It's usually relatively quiet by this time of year, but then this has been an unusual year to say the least, so it's hard to know what to expect. Let's just hope we don't all get locked down again...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
It looks stunning from your photos, will definitely have to explore around there some time.
I'll be in the Patterdale area, which I know quite well....

Lovely. We used to have family holidays around Ullswater.
As long as you stay away from the obvious routes up Helvellyn, you should be able to find some peace in the mountains.

Enjoy your holiday  :)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Great write up and pics Richard.

I love the view down into Langstrath  :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Great write up and pics Richard.
I love the view down into Langstrath  :)

Thanks Mel  :)
I'm quite taken by the idea of a winter wild camp at the head of Langstrath, a lovely wild place.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
Brilliant Richard, thanks again for sharing.... fantastic eye for a photo!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Brilliant Richard, thanks again for sharing.... fantastic eye for a photo!

Thanks Dodgylegs - phone cameras can sometimes give surprisingly good results. :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy