Author Topic: Tourist looking for advice  (Read 1182 times)

GalChicko

Tourist looking for advice
« on: 10:02:39, 30/08/17 »
Hello guys.
I've just came in south Wales , and I really want to go out for a few days hike.
I walked near the Wye Valley, and didn't see a living soul. Where can I go that will be a little more crowded? Travelling alone kind of sucks.

Thanks,
Gal

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: Tourist looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: 21:46:45, 31/08/17 »
An ascent of Pen Y Fan, on the A470 above Merthyr Tydfil comes highly recommended.
This was my regular walking country many years ago.
If you approach from Cardiff, head for Pontypridd on the A470, this is the main dual carriageway that leaves Cardiff, and heads towards the famous South wales valley's, follow this road and you will eventually reach Merthyr Tydfil.

Follow the heads of the valley road (A470) from Pontypridd , and eventually you will see the signpost for Brecon, just after Merthyr.

Follow the A470 towards Brecon, and in about nine miles, past the Beacons reservoirs, you will arrive at the Storrey Arms.

Park safely in the carparks provided, and climb the tallest mountain in Southern Britain, its not far off 3000ft in height, but in good weather, is very straight forward, and safe.

All the best AND WELCOME TO CYMRU
« Last Edit: 21:50:08, 31/08/17 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 01:08:35, 01/09/17 »
Be warned that the car parks Dyffryn Ardudwy describes for Pen y Fan fill up early on a fine day at weekends and in the school holiday. One of the downsides of lots of people.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:43:25, 01/09/17 »
It is a pity you are in south Wales and not north Wales, because then you could walk the Llanberis Path up Snowdon. That will certainly be "a little more crowded"!

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:39:35, 01/09/17 »
 Ystradfellte and  Pontneddfechan falls trails should be fairly well populated and that area may be closer than the Brecons.  

Google; welsh waterfalls, wikepaedia gives the OS refs to all those falls.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy