Author Topic: Walking in Scotland from train stations  (Read 1072 times)

rdallas

Walking in Scotland from train stations
« on: 20:04:18, 10/02/20 »
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for walking in Scotland, with some quite specific criteria!

I've got some friends coming up and we've only got 2 days total, including travel time from Glasgow and back. So we're thinking a walk from a train station (accessible from Glasgow), walk all day, stay the night somewhere and approx 4 hours walking the next day before travelling back by train (from either another station, or perhaps looping back to the departure point.) Thinking Crianlarich or Pitlocry as possible departure points but any suggestions of routes welcome. Thanks :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking in Scotland from train stations
« Reply #1 on: 20:24:35, 10/02/20 »
Welcome to the forum :)

No down to business...  I love route making challenges like this, but first of all, are you wild camping, or looking for a B&B or hostel for your overnight stop? Or a bothy?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

rdallas

« Reply #2 on: 20:30:02, 10/02/20 »
Thanks very much! Our plan is to B and B or hostel. May be worth adding that ideally (but not necessarily) the train station should be up to 2 or so hours from Glasgow - friends coming up from London for the weekend so they will already have spent lots of time on the rails 

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:57:30, 10/02/20 »
West coast line to Bridge of Orchy, use the hotel/bunkhouse walk the Hills west of Loch Tulla on day one and Beinn Dorain on day two.

Or, stop in Crianlarich and do Ben More & Stob Binnein one day and Beinn Tulaichean & Cruach Ardrain the next.

rdallas

« Reply #4 on: 22:08:41, 10/02/20 »
Thanks Owen, I'll take a look at these. R

Patrick1

« Reply #5 on: 08:37:16, 11/02/20 »
Dalwhinnie to Corour would tempt me under those criteria, but would probably need a tent. Ben Alder bothy possible, though a bit off the direct route. Loch Ossian YH a bit too close to the finish to work. I do like a through route, though!

Ardlui to Bridge of Orchy on the West Highland way is a possibility which goes through rather less remote country. Overnight in Crianlarich in B&B or YH. You'd need to check the little foot ferry from Ardlui to Ardleish was running at the time of year youre wanting to do it, otherwise the start doesn't really work.
« Last Edit: 08:47:53, 11/02/20 by Patrick1 »

rdallas

« Reply #6 on: 19:10:10, 11/02/20 »
Thanks Patrick O0

watershed

« Reply #7 on: 19:22:59, 11/02/20 »
Dalwhinnie to Corour would tempt me under those criteria, but would probably need a tent. Ben Alder bothy possible, though a bit off the direct route. Loch Ossian YH a bit too close to the finish to work. I do like a through route, though!

I think the Culra Lodge Bothy GR 522762 is still closed due to asbestos issues. It would be best to check rather than rely on it.
I camped at Loch Pattack in 2018 when travelling from Glen Nevis towards Glen Tromie ,via Dalwhinnie, as the Bothy was closed.
Or is it the Ben Alder Cottage Bothy that you are meaning at GR 498700 (The haunted one)

watershed

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:11:13, 11/02/20 »

Ardlui to Bridge of Orchy

there's also Taynuilt on the Oban line to Bridge of Orchy on the fort William line walking through Glen Kinglass. Don't think there's any accommodation though so it would require camping. 

snoopdawg

« Reply #10 on: 19:18:58, 13/02/20 »
Could get the 08.23 train out of Glasgow Queen street, gets to Corrour at 11.21hrs. From there you can follow the track down to Loch Trieg and onwards to a choice of bothies at either Stonieag or Meanach depending which side of the river you are on. Following day walk through to Glen Nevis and up to Fort William for the train home ( 11.40 would look to be the best one with an early start)
Or if using Corrour as a base or the YH there are a choice of at least 7 munroes close enough by for a day walk.
« Last Edit: 19:23:22, 13/02/20 by snoopdawg »

Tame Camper

« Reply #11 on: 18:21:57, 14/02/20 »
Train to Corrour Station and then through Glen Nevis to Fort William. Halfway spend the night in Meanagh bothy. Or camp, plenty of lovely camping spots.

rdallas

« Reply #12 on: 09:11:40, 17/02/20 »
Thanks for all the tips everyone!  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy