Author Topic: The Yorkshire Two Peaks  (Read 5574 times)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
The Yorkshire Two Peaks
« on: 22:56:40, 20/04/08 »
These are (in dialect) Yongertill and Yongerteeepamuck - aka (In English) Ingleborough and Whernside.
I did this walk for two reasons. Firstly - the dawg has been sulking ever since I didnt take him to Shropshire and secondly, my TGO training thingy says I need a 17 mile walk round about now and - this is a 17 mile walk.
So despite still not being fully recovered from the 200 feet of ascent of yesterdays walk - I set off very late in the morning to Ingleton and me and superdingo ascended Ingleborough by the Crina bottom route. I like this route, probably because its easy....
On top of Ingleborough it were blowing a hoolie - much too windy to eat cheese and tomato butties, so we descended by the Three Peaks "Up" route from Chapel le Dale and found a cosy spot in and amongst limestone blocks for the scoffing of wensleydale and tomatoes and banana and some ginger cake...... This "Up" route is outrageously steep by the way for anybody thinking of having a go at the Three Peaks. Not a scamble , though.....
On to Whernside via Winterscales where the farmer sulked at me as we walked past  (oddly strange encounter......) :o - and we did the "Up" route of the Three Peaks to climb Whernside. On the way up, Bruno decided he'd had enough and curled up and went to sleep (!) - more oddly strange behaviour.
As I'd broken my watch strap, I'd no idea what time it was, but I assumed it was fairly late as there was nobody else at all on the hill. Or it could have been the wind. Once on the ridge, it was barely possible to stand up and we had to hide behind the wall for a second lunch break. I revived BVruno's morale and energy levels by donating my remaining ginger cake to him....yes...yes...I know dogs aren't supposed to eat ginger cake - but if it stops him going to bed in inappropriate places (like a hill top in a gale) - then the means justify the end.  I was a bit sad about it too.... I was looking forward to that ginger cake...
Anyway - we returned to Ingleton via the extremely long - and ultimately fairly dull South ridge. It does go on. Id forgotten just how mind-numbingly dull this ridge is. At least if you do it in ascent you get the excitement of the six or seven false summits...
It was dark in Ingleton, so I went home for my tea.
17 miles, 3500 feet of ascent 1 ginger cake.
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy