Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292401 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #1005 on: 10:02:43, 24/01/20 »
I had cause to walk into Aldi a couple of days ago and I noticed that they were selling pairs of cushioned shoe inserts for 99p! I bought a pair, put them in my shoes when I left the shop and then walked home. They are now permanently in my shoes because they have proved to be very comfortable and they cushion well. Yesterday I decided to walk a local circuit, from our house to the beach and back, just over one mile. I inserted an Aldi insert into one shoe and a Sorbothane insert into my other shoe and then set off. Only a small personal test but the Aldi insert was noticeably more comfortable.

I didn't buy one but they were also selling long-sleeved Merino baselayers for £17.50. They looked and felt good. I also noticed that Decathlon are selling hiking trousers for £4.50 a pair. When I bought my trousers from them and they are very, very good, mine, in fact, fit me like a glove and are incredibly comfortable, at the time I paid £7.50 for them. So annoying that I spent £70 on a Marmot pair a couple of years ago, they are so rubbishy in comparison.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1006 on: 21:52:47, 24/01/20 »
I do not take a cooker/gas with me when I hike so I do not get the benefit of hot water when I want to shave in the morning. I've always used shaving oil when on the trail and it more or less works OK, but with cold water, I still feel the irritating drag of the razor so today I bought a tube of shaving cream and hope it will be a smoother experience for me?

taxino8

« Reply #1007 on: 20:03:45, 27/01/20 »
Just took delivery of my new Berghaus Paclite trousers.
They’ve replaced my other pair which were also Berghaus Paclite which have served me well for lots of years but the zipper in one of the legs finally gave up the ghost on Sunday and kept popping open.

Hadrian

« Reply #1008 on: 21:32:44, 27/01/20 »
I’ve ordered an Osprey Talon 22 pack for my longer hikes where I’m carrying more food, water and spare layers. I’ll keep the Daylite Plus for shorter hikes.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1009 on: 12:28:52, 28/01/20 »
Just an update on my 99p Aldi boot/shoe inserts. I've worn them every day and they are very comfortable and they help to keep my feet warm. How long will they last, no idea yet?

Hawkeye

« Reply #1010 on: 13:38:35, 28/01/20 »
Bought a pair of Merrell Thermo Rogue boots today... on sale at £70! Felt comfortable in the shop but wearing at home I can feel the rub of the eyelet which many people have commented on (and probably why they've been reduced from £180 to £70. I'll try the fix of drilling out the eyelet and see if that works.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1011 on: 14:02:32, 28/01/20 »
I'm always ready to apply a fix. When I bought my Salomon Ultra X's, the left heel area felt so uncomfortable, my heel became red and raw after a couple of miles. I just hit the inside heel area with a 'pane' hammer and it solved the problem, no difficulties since.

I hope 'pane hammer' is the correct term, one end of the hammer was round.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1012 on: 14:41:09, 28/01/20 »
I'm always ready to apply a fix. When I bought my Salomon Ultra X's, the left heel area felt so uncomfortable, my heel became red and raw after a couple of miles. I just hit the inside heel area with a 'pane' hammer and it solved the problem, no difficulties since.

I hope 'pane hammer' is the correct term, one end of the hammer was round.
  I think you mean a ball-pein hammer https://www.diydata.com/tool/hammer/hammers.php  I think pein refers to the non-ball end.
« Last Edit: 14:47:09, 28/01/20 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1013 on: 17:59:54, 28/01/20 »
Thank you, I suspected that I was incorrect using the word 'pane' I know so little about hammers. The bloke who I got it from said I can keep it, its now in my gargage doing nothing.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1014 on: 18:17:48, 28/01/20 »
Thank you, I suspected that I was incorrect using the word 'pane' I know so little about hammers. The bloke who I got it from said I can keep it, its now in my gargage doing nothing.
I also have a row of different kinds of hammer hanging on a peg board in my garage not doing much.  Most of them were my father's.  looks like you can have peen or pane as well https://mymultiplemusings.blogspot.com/2011/07/ball-peen-ball-pein-or-ball-pane-hammer.html
« Last Edit: 18:24:12, 28/01/20 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1015 on: 10:17:37, 30/01/20 »
I've just bought 2 x Columbia Silver Ridge hiking shirts. I decided on this brand and model after reading about them on 'outdoorgearlab.com.' They arrived this morning and I'm wearing one right now, feels very comfortable and the medium I ordered fits me extremely well. How good will they be whilst I'm hiking? No idea yet but I will try them out soon.

They cost me £25 each from the Columbia site.

Hadrian

« Reply #1016 on: 10:24:01, 30/01/20 »
I've just bought 2 x Columbia Silver Ridge hiking shirts. I decided on this brand and model after reading about them on 'outdoorgearlab.com.' They arrived this morning and I'm wearing one right now, feels very comfortable and the medium I ordered fits me extremely well. How good will they be whilst I'm hiking? No idea yet but I will try them out soon.

They cost me £25 each from the Columbia site.

That’s a good price for technical clothing. I’d be interested to hear how they perform.

Little Foot

« Reply #1017 on: 17:16:43, 04/02/20 »
Just bought this Stanley cooking set from eBay for £17, and a cheap tick removal tool (wasn't going to pay £5 in a store for it!)

I watched a guy on YouTube with the Stanley cook set. He took out the cups as he said they were too heavy, then put in a gas canister upside down which fitted perfectly. He then added his little stove burner and a few other things like spork, washing up liquid, cloth etc, so most of his cooking gear was stashed in the pan. Neat.

Collected my Osprey bag today which is great. I immediately contacted Osprey about getting the hip webbing changed and I've just received a reply saying they will get on and sort it right away. Fantastic service, especially since I only paid £60 for it brand new!

Butchersboy

« Reply #1018 on: 19:53:29, 04/02/20 »
Altra lone peaks, hope they fix my blister issues! Ordered from amazon prime so easy to return if they don't fit. Get delivered tomorrow

Whiskeytownracer

« Reply #1019 on: 10:32:30, 05/02/20 »
Altra lone peaks, hope they fix my blister issues! Ordered from amazon prime so easy to return if they don't fit. Get delivered tomorrow
I'd be interested to know what you think of these if you're willing to share your thoughts, am considering them after an unpleasant pair of Salomons.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy