Author Topic: What coat for Yorkshire 3 peaks in spring  (Read 2723 times)

yakuzakitty

What coat for Yorkshire 3 peaks in spring
« on: 22:13:09, 21/02/16 »
Hello! I'm about to purchase a new coat for my planned Yorkshire 3 peaks expedition likely to take place in spring. I'm wondering what kind of coat I should buy for it; a padded parks style for warmth, or a more lightweight waterproof mac?

Any suggestions welcome!

Strider

• Veteran Member
Re: What coat for Yorkshire 3 peaks in spring
« Reply #1 on: 22:32:22, 21/02/16 »
A waterproof and breathable shell jacket, for warmth wear a fleece underneath.  Much more flexible than a padded coat.

Oh, and good luck with your Y3P  :)
« Last Edit: 22:35:32, 21/02/16 by Strider »
Not all those who wander are lost

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:02:30, 22/02/16 »
As Strider says, you want layers.  You get hot going up, but it's easy to get chilled on the way down.  So you need to be able to adjust.  And, as it's Yorkshire, the outer layer needs to be waterproof, breathable if you can manage it, and light, in case you are lucky and end up carrying it.  Then something warm, like a fleece underneath, which again you may only need for part of the walk.
I was lucky, the only time I did the Y3P it was warm, not too hot, and sunny.  But days like that in the Dales can be rare, even in June! 

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:12:52, 22/02/16 »
+ 1 to the previous 2 posts O0

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:50:07, 22/02/16 »
All tha needs is a Pakamac like me granddad used to ave.

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:35:13, 22/02/16 »
Can I suggest a windshirt, or better still the super duper pertex (whatever its called)

Just consider the main function of your clothing being protection from the weather. So its mostly cold and rain that you want to keep out.
In spring the ambient temperature should be  sufficient for a t shirt. But the wind will freeze you, your body will be warm from effort, so you just want to neutralise the wind without adding anything.. hence a windshirt.
Then if its raining the lightest of waterproofs (Or the super pertex which does both)
Of course if the ambient temperature is cold you need a fleece to be warm.
Oh and a hat to keep your ears warm. It isn't just Ilkley moor that can be cold :)
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

datz

« Reply #6 on: 15:10:27, 25/02/16 »
Layers every time. I've climbed Inglebrough often in spring. Sometimes short sleeves in the valley, fleece, coat, hat gloves on the top!

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:24:51, 25/02/16 »
Ditto everything above - and make sure the waterproof layer is exactly that.  I've never been so wet as the times I've walked up Whernside and Ingleborough, (except for the time when I went on a forum walk in Ribblesdale!) :D :D

One F

« Reply #8 on: 21:33:07, 25/02/16 »
.  I've never been so wet as the times I've walked up Whernside and Ingleborough, (except for the time when I went on a forum walk in Ribblesdale!) :D :D

Thought about that on Tuesday when I tramped up the PW and past the old barn where we tried to take shelter. Looked longingly at the Station Inn as I went past too - the floor by the bar is still wet  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy