Author Topic: Suggested walks please for June??  (Read 1015 times)

buntonn

Suggested walks please for June??
« on: 11:54:54, 05/05/17 »
I am staying at the National Trust campsite in Great Langdale the last week in June with my cousin to have a great week in the lakes on foot.  We are in our mid 40's but both fit but I have not really done the hills/mountains before and he hasn't that I am aware of. We don't want all easy walks, maybe a couple in the back pocket for a tired day if needed, what we really want is relatively challenging and enjoyable walk/scrambles which are rewarding and provide some great views.

I am currently looking at routes via the Garmin Basecamp app, ViewRanger app and collected some from Trail, Country Walking and The Great Outdoor magazines.  I just don't really know when they rate these in difficulty what that is benchmarked against. So I am hoping that any Lake District veterans here and point me in the direction of some routes to print, download to my iPhone or GPS device to build up a nice set to see us through for the week.

I do have a car at base, so can drive to a start point if needed, also don't mind one long route over two days as want to do at least one wild camp up high.

Really appreciate any routes here.

Thanks,
Nick

Desperately trying to escape and venture in the wild outdoors...

Scrambledlegs

Re: Suggested walks please for June??
« Reply #1 on: 12:33:12, 05/05/17 »
The obvious one is Pavey Arc.

If you get up to Stickle tarn and you want a route you'll never forget then go up Jack's Rake. It's a complete thrill! I nearly [censored] myself the first time and it wasn't on the obvious bits either. I got all the way to the slab at the top and my brain switched off. It's really grippy but I just couldn't process it at that moment .

Got over it in a matter of moments but it is an amazing route.

We are going that route again in summer but we're going to the right up easy gulley ( apparently not easy)

Can't flippin' wait :)

Scrambledlegs

« Reply #2 on: 12:42:11, 05/05/17 »
If you wanted to add a memorable drive that takes a bit of bottle and puts your car to the test you could get to wasdale head via hardknott pass and see the most beautiful panoramic view and do Scafell via lords rake starting at the other NT campsite.

There's some limited free parking in the area or you can pay them to park for the day. I think it's a fiver.

buntonn

« Reply #3 on: 13:14:47, 05/05/17 »
Thanks, I'll look into those two over the weekend.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:22:22, 05/05/17 »
There are loads of great walks from the campsite but a good introduction to the area especially if you're new to the high fells is the circular route over Lingmoor Fell. Straight up the path from the back of the campsite, climb Side Pike for great views of the Pikes, then back down and round through fat man's agony, always good for a laugh  :D
then just follow the wall right over the top and down to Elterwater and follow the river past several pubs back to the campsite

Rough route gpx HERE     (right click-save as )  but please don't just rely on this and take a map.
HTH

buntonn

« Reply #5 on: 17:32:43, 05/05/17 »
There are loads of great walks from the campsite but a good introduction to the area especially if you're new to the high fells is the circular route over Lingmoor Fell. Straight up the path from the back of the campsite, climb Side Pike for great views of the Pikes, then back down and round through fat man's agony, always good for a laugh  :D
then just follow the wall right over the top and down to Elterwater and follow the river past several pubs back to the campsite

Rough route gpx HERE     (right click-save as )  but please don't just rely on this and take a map.
HTH

Thank you, thats really kind, I have the OS eloper map, compass, View Ranger and my GPS and a sensible piece of matter between my ears, so should be good with that.  O0

DK

« Reply #6 on: 20:29:58, 09/05/17 »
Crinkle Crags and Bowfell via the CT every time  O0
We weren't born to just pay bills and die...

Scrambledlegs

« Reply #7 on: 16:55:29, 10/05/17 »
Agreed Side Pike is a fun walk to do. You should definitely check it out.

It's short but steep in places and you'll likely have school kids peering down at you if it's a week day.

I loved this walk. We did it on a rest day between other routes and it took about an hour and a half. There's some great scrambly bits and you can pretty much create your own route (well we did) to make it a bit more exciting. Watch your ankles!

We've got some comic strip memories of going through Fat man's agony. It's a slab of separated rock and a rock face but it's quite quirky.

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:30:38, 10/05/17 »
Pike of Blisco or Rossett Pike are the other fells in that region. Central fells in order of difficulty from ODG are High Raise (highest one) - Sergeant Man - Langdale Pikes - Blea Rigg :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy