Author Topic: Langdale beckons!  (Read 4010 times)

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: Langdale beckons!
« Reply #15 on: 08:48:07, 05/06/17 »
Great pics Sarah  O0
You'll be getting summit slugs next  :D

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 10:38:09, 05/06/17 »
did you get views on Hard Knott?

We didn't from the summit on Sunday, the cloud was covering the top of Hard Knott when we set off. We have had the view from there before though on previous visits.

You had mentioned starting from ODG so I kept wondering if we would spot you.

We left the ODG at 11.25 on Saturday morning. We used the glove of fate to decide which route we would take to get to Hard Knott  :) For some reason the Langdale Rambler bus driver wouldn't oblige and drop us off at Cockley Beck before he returned to Ambleside  :D

Hate will never win

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 10:47:52, 05/06/17 »
Yep, great pics Sarah. Made I jealous.

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 16:54:28, 05/06/17 »
Oh yes you have reminded me that this weekend I introduced hubby to the term summit slugs - which use he adopted immediately! There were plenty of summit slugs on misty Bowfell -sitting there eating their lunch etc  not sure why in the mist. We waited until we got below the clouds for our food.

I also started using another phrase - Hullabaloos* - those loud groups of people who you sometimes seem to encounter the entire day. They're either passing you; ahead of you or follow you up a peak and then sit there chatting away v loudly stopping you listening to the birds etc in your nice, off the peak, sheltered spot. There was one partic group on the Pikes - they weren't particularly courteous in their greetings and never shut up.

*Actually I borrowed the term from Arthur Ransome Books - one of his books set on the Norfolk Broads where the term was used to refer to a noisy motor boat group who could be heard from miles away and didn't fully respect the waterways etc etc

April - you need to bribe the bus driver!!!! That was a big walk!!!

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 17:05:26, 05/06/17 »
Hullabaloos

we have other names for these types of people  :D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 17:15:51, 05/06/17 »
Sarah, did you encounter any difficulties on the climbers' traverse on Bowfell? I only ask as it's about a year since I've been on it and I'm sure I heard or read somewhere that recently there'd been some kind of 'landslip' making it a bit precarious? ...or maybe it's been exagerrated?

Great photos by the way, Looks like you timed your visit to perfection weather-wise!

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 18:03:02, 05/06/17 »
Hi Glyno.

No difficulties other than the couple I have mentioned namely

1) my short legs making it difficult for me to get down on the other side of the chockstone. I don't think the chockstone is new as I have seen it on other peoples TRs and videos when I have googled.

2) The other was the slight veering off route where we lost our tail - it was fairly stony underfoot here (not scree-like stones, but not steep so not precarious) so perhaps there had been a bit of a slip here. If I can get a geo tag from my photos I might be able to let you know where that is exactly.

The section going up the side of Cambridge Crags and Flat crags is hands on rock and clambering. There could well have been a slip there, but nothing is left in a precarious position.  

I can't say any more than that, as I haven't been that way before.

I do recall also reading about Lords Rake and the chockstone having fallen or something similar.

A mystery!!!

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 18:26:21, 05/06/17 »
Hi Sarah, thanks for that, I'll see if I can find out where I read about it (if indeed there is an issue). More likely it's been some minor erosion that someone has exagerated.
Thanks again :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy