Author Topic: My first Coast to Coast  (Read 1568 times)

annie oakley

My first Coast to Coast
« on: 03:50:39, 08/01/17 »

Hi everyone.  I am a 63 year old Aussie woman.  I have booked to do a guided Coast to Coast hike in May.  To look at me people might think that I am fit but I am not.  I only spasmodically walk and am currently only doing the recommended 10,000 steps per day, and I play a bit of social tennis. The only long distance walking I have done in my mature years was Cradle Mountain (6 days) several years back.  Just wondering if there are some similar aged persons out there who have done the walk and perhaps were not as fit as others?  I would appreciate your thoughts/suggestions to prepare me for the walk.  I am kind of hoping it will be a pleasant experience, time to enjoy the scenery etc not a heads down trudge.  I have been thinking of doing this walk for a couple of years but now that is fast approaching I am getting a little nervous.  Any thoughts? Annie O
[size=0.85em]

tonyk

• Veteran Member
Re: My first Coast to Coast
« Reply #1 on: 10:06:11, 08/01/17 »
 If you are walking west-east the first few days will be the hardest due to the climbs of the Lakeland passes.Nothing too desperate provided you take your time on the ascents.I think serious fitness only comes into the equation if you are carrying camping kit,say a load of over 18kg.Try and walk a few kms each day and at weekends do a long walk,something in the region of 15-20km and increase the distance a bit each week.Plenty of people do this walk each year and very few of them are conditioned athletes.

Deolman

« Reply #2 on: 14:46:26, 08/01/17 »
Did C2C in June/July 2016. Was all set to do it in 2015 but had to cancel a month before I was due to set off due to a heart attack. The walk can be as hard as you make it. It is not a National Trail and, as Wainwright says, the object is to walk from St Bees to Robin Hoods Bay. If you do that then you have walked the C2C! That said take a good look at the route. The Lake District is the toughest part and I would highly recommend a stop at Grasmere rather than doing Rosthwaite to Patterdale in one go. I also avoided Kidsty Pike by going around Ullswater to Bampton Grange (which is where I spent a night) There are other sections where there are similar high or low routes depending on how you feel. In my late sixties, two heart attacks, and only twelve months after angioplasty I found the walk very 'doable' and am seriously considering doing it again in 2018.  No need to be nervous and I am sure you will have a great time.

staggerindragon

« Reply #3 on: 19:48:52, 08/01/17 »
I'm jealous!

How many days are you planning to take?  That'll have a lot to do with whether the walk feels like a forced march or not.  It'll also help you plan your training walks. 

Deolman made a good point about being able to plan alternate routes.  You can make a Plan A to follow when the weather is good and you're feeling fit, a Plan B for bad weather or if you're feeling less fit, and even a Plan C if you need to skip a stage.

I'm not sure how well marked the Overland Trail is, but one comment I heard a lot on the C2C was that visiting walkers had expected better signage and trail marking. Bringing maps along with your guidebook will minimize that and allow you that flexible route planning.

Have fun!  :)

Deolman

« Reply #4 on: 20:39:19, 08/01/17 »
In the Lake District the signage is not good but I believe that is due to restrictions by the National Park Authorities. Once in Yorkshire the signage is a lot better.  That being said signage is very much like GPS and you should not place an over reliance on either of them. Learn to navigate using a map and compass and you will not be too bothered about a lack of signage.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:18:52, 08/01/17 »
The OP says she is doing a guided walk, so most likely in a group, and will have no option to change the route. Check with the company the distances you are walking each day and train accordingly. As Tony says the lakes will be the hardest going w to e. By the time you get into Yorkshire you will have your walking legs.

Deolman

« Reply #6 on: 23:27:44, 08/01/17 »
Rural Roamer-I confess I had overlooked that point. If it is guided presumably the guides will act responsibly and organise each section to the ability of the group so AC should be fine.  As tk says the Lakes is by far the toughest section and I had some real knee and foot problems by time I got through the Lakes but the much softer terrain of Yorkshire enabled things to heal very quickly.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:00:50, 09/01/17 »
The OP has said in another post that they are walking over 16 days so plenty of time allowed. I too had some knee problems after the Lakes but now use walking poles and had no such problems on the Pennine Way. Coincidence? Anyway Annie, use of walking poles or not, may be something to consider. That can start another whole debate on here though!  ;D

Deolman

« Reply #8 on: 08:27:34, 09/01/17 »
In my mind no question about it. I have used walking poles for a number of years and they have prevented many a fall when crossing unstable ground or streams. They are also useful for testing the depth of mud or bog. On the C2C I used two poles for the steeper hills and found it made the ascents and descents a lot easier on the knees. Why some people have a problem with walking poles is beyond my comprehension.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy