Author Topic: The Pennine Journey - Settle to Settle  (Read 1102 times)

Murphy

The Pennine Journey - Settle to Settle
« on: 19:38:21, 06/03/17 »
Well just finalised plans for Wainwrights 250 miles The Pennine Journey starting in Settle. Campsites (all but one) booked, wild camping nights planned......all I need to do now is book trains and  look forward to it.................Done it twice before so changing a couple of legs slightly but generally sticking to the route.  Let's hope June is fine and dry but knowing the Pennines more likely to be not so! :)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: The Pennine Journey - Settle to Settle
« Reply #1 on: 20:34:20, 06/03/17 »
I have walked the Pennine Way and heard of the Pennine Way Bridlepath but until I read your entry this evening I have never heard of the Pennine Journey. But then again I've never looked at, or read any Wainwright books so I suppose its my own fault. I'll have a proper look at that route over the next few days, Thanks.

Murphy

« Reply #2 on: 21:15:18, 06/03/17 »
Yes it's a good walk. I've always maintained it's not too well known because it's name seems to imply that it's an account of someone's walk when it is actually a route. As I say this will be my third time so can pick and choose a bit more to make it the perfect journey

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:04:01, 07/03/17 »

I have seen the odd Pennine Journey waymark, and your post prompted me to look up the route, it looks really nice.
When you walk it do you follow a guide book, or work out your own route from AW's account of his walk?

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:14:51, 07/03/17 »
I'm pretty sure, although I might be wrong...but I first found out about this walk while waiting for a train at SEttle railway station. I think there was some kind of map on the wall in the waiting room, but it's been a few years.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:37:30, 07/03/17 »
I remember when reading AW's account of his walk at being somewhat surprised by his attitude to the people he stayed with but it was before WW2 and different standards applied.
Solvitur Ambulando

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:37:38, 07/03/17 »
I met a couple of blokes doing this journey (I believe that is what they told me) just after Tan Hill when I did the PW last year. One was wearing slip on shoes as his boots had been too tight and boy was he struggling to keep them on in that boggy ground.
Too little, too late, too bad......

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:07:38, 07/03/17 »
I've had a good look on the free OS section of Bing Maps this morning. The whole route is identified and named very clearly, looks good! Which way, clockwise or anticlockwise?

Murphy

« Reply #8 on: 18:22:41, 07/03/17 »
So we will be doing it anti clockwise, starting at Settle, up to Horton then Buckden.  Camping all the way so carrying our kit.  Campsites generally, but a couple of wild camps, one around Greggs Hut area. Thought about doing it clockwise for a change, but decided to stick with the way intended.  Have guide book and maps, and most of it is waymarked as well now. There is a Pennine Journey Society, and the history of the walk and how it came back into being is quite interesting.  The route is actually broken down into 18 days but we will do it over 14 so a couple of 20 odd mile days...
Looking forward to it now it is booked even though it will be the third time!  Of course it takes in some of the PW which I've done numerous times, but I can recommend PJ for those wishing to do a long distance walk.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy