Author Topic: Fleece, windstopper, or lightly insulated jacket?  (Read 1778 times)

sam90

Hi,

I am a little confused as to what would be most appropriate mid-layer gear to get, so need some advice.  l am looking for something that I can just put over my tshirt base-layer when it gets a bit too cold or windy for just one layer.

Originally I was looking at something like the Arc'teryx Atom LT as a one jacket does all kind of thing.  However, I am not sure if that would be too warm for hiking and if a fleece and a windstopper jacket combo would be better.  Something like a Gamma LT or a North Face Nimble Jacket over a fleece (just popped into Ellis Bringham and they were the ones I tried on).

My walks involve a fair amount of hills (brecon beacons, peak and lake districts and coastal cliffs) as well as fairly easy walks through woodlands, but I usually run quite hot so my main concern is sweating and overheating, and thus having to constantly take layers on and off to cool down.

Can someone please shed some light into what would be best, and maybe recommend some items which would be suitable. 

Many thanks.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: Fleece, windstopper, or lightly insulated jacket?
« Reply #1 on: 15:04:52, 17/07/19 »
Invest in a Buffalo windshirt, or a similar Pertex garment.
Depending on the weave of the Pertex, as there's Pertex 5 and heavier Pertex 6, it will provide maximum wind protection, for a fairly modest outlay.

The Buffalo windshirt i own, has been up Pen Y fan so many times, ive lost count, and its survived over a dozen or more Challenge walking events, both in Wales and England.

When its particularly chilly, and the sun is out, i like to wear it over a thermal top, and it just soldiers on, year after year, providing great insulation against a keen wind.

Ive owned two Buffalo windshirts for the best part of thirty years or more, and it takes a considerable number of years for the Pertex to show any significant signs of ware or age.

A windshirt, can be packed down into a very small size, and dries out incredibly quickly.

Over the years, Ive bought quite a bit of good quality walking kit, but the only items i still own, that have been with me from my early days as a walker, is a Buffalo windshirt, and a lovely Berghaus Dart rucksack.

The rucksack was purchased in  Chrickhowell Adventure gear, sometime in either 1982 or 83.

Made of Cordura, its got years of life left in it, and even the windshirt is of 1980s vintage.

Its an item of clothing that can be used both in Summer and Winter, and its ability to pack down into a very small lightweight package, makes it ideal for storage inside your sac, on the off chance the weather dicatates its use.

Get yourself a Buffalo, it will be money very well spent.
« Last Edit: 15:14:32, 17/07/19 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:07:33, 17/07/19 »
I can only tell you what works for me.

Assuming it is dry :

Down to about +5*C I simply wear a short sleeved T-Shirt (I walk very warm)

Above 0*C and up to around 5*C I'll add a very thin long sleeved Jumper, and possibly a pair of thin Merino wool 'glove liners' and if the wind is blowing I'll add a thin Merino wool balaclava.

Below 0*C it 'depends.

In addition to the above I could add a pair of Thinsulate Gloves (on top of the Merino liners), a thinsulate 'bobble-hat' on top of the thin merino balaclava and thick Ullfrotte Merino shirt / fleece.*

* The Woolpower Ullfrotte Original Full Zip Jacket - 400g (per square metre) can be worn directly next to the skin as a base-layer, or as a mid-layer garment. In very cold conditions it can be worn over the top of a Woolpower - 200g turtleneck.
Each garment features a terry-knit soft inner in fine merino wool, reinforced with polyamide for better wear-resistance, making it comfortable yet durable. Each garment part is knitted conically to reduce the need for seams, providing a great, comfortable fit.
Woolpower - 400g clothing has a unique warming ability because of its construction and material: moisture is wicked away from the skin keeping you dry, while the wool is capable of retaining body heat even when damp.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:12:55, 17/07/19 »
I too walk hot so am generally just in a long sleeved synthetic base layer. Depending on anticipated temps I'll have either a thin or thick fleece in my pack in case it gets cold, or for when I stop plus a waterproof, single layer unless heavy rain is forecast in which case I'll take a 3 layer one.
Where there's a will ...

sam90

« Reply #4 on: 15:48:43, 17/07/19 »
Okay, so by the sounds of it a light fleece or thermal top with the option of chucking a 'windshirt' over the top to protect me from the wind and light showers is the way forward then?  That does sound a bit more versatile than a softshell or lightly insulated jacket I guess, as it gives the option of just wearing the windshirt over my baselayer tshirt on warm but gusty walks.

Have I got that right?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:22:19, 17/07/19 »
Merino baselayer plus fleece if required due to wind/temp.  O0

Actually Screwfix have great fleeces of all types at great prices. They also do Helly Hansen base layers.
« Last Edit: 21:02:05, 17/07/19 by jimbob »
Too little, too late, too bad......

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:48:21, 17/07/19 »
Getting the midlayer right for me is always something that I've struggled with. I use a long-sleeve baselayer, I can't deal with Merino, it makes me itch, I like Bamboo and synthetic. My outer cover is a thin windproof, I bought one in Decathlon for £14.99 a year ago (really good for the price) but have now gone 'upmarket' and have bought a Rab Vital windproof but have not used it yet.

I've tried this and that and what I generally prefer is my Alpkit synthetic jacket. One thing for me though, ALL of my torso clothing, except my baselayer, is full zipped items, not keen on smocks, not versatile enough.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:46:19, 20/07/19 »

Invest in a Buffalo windshirt, or a similar Pertex garment.
Get yourself a Buffalo, it will be money very well spent.

I have and still use a Buffalo fibre pile/Pertex sleeping bag that I bought in 1984. Indestructible.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:48:25, 20/07/19 »

@ sam90

Just get a cheap fleece, and wear a shell over the top if windy.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:29:34, 23/07/19 »
Horses for courses as always.  Experience will teach you what to carry for what conditions. Wool lets more air through than most padded mid layer Jackets.  If it's cold and windy it can cut through them.

In winter I carry both, a wool mid layer, that Iives in my emergency drybag, seldom used.  Plus a padded sleeveless jacket, that I chuck on over my shell jacket when I stop, to keep the heat in. Whilst on the move even down to - teens I tend to just be wearing my base layer and shell.  As with others I walk hot.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:58:06, 23/07/19 »
My setup is base layer (ie. non-cotton t-shirt), cheapo fleece, wind shirt (Ronhill running shirt - think thin umbrella material not a softshell type) and a waterproof outer shell.  Only in winter do I have/need a padded/insulated jacket, over which I throw the waterproof shell, and only if it's raining.  My wind shirt, fleece and waterproof shell will squish down small and live quite happily in my rucksack, readily available for a multitude of combinations to suit our fickle weather conditions. 

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 23:18:31, 24/07/19 »
I rarely wear a synthetic or down-filled jacket while actually walking, I get too warm for that. They're saved for rest stops.

When I first got into hillwalking I mainly wore a fleece over a cheap base layer. I didn't walk in really cold weather and if it was windy I'd stick my waterproof on. That got hot and sweaty though. Nowadays I only wear my waterproof coat if it's actually raining and more than a light shower.

Next I got a Rab Aurora (men's version was the Boreas), now replaced by Borealis. This is sort of a windshirt, maybe more of a breeze shirt, it doesn't cut out all the wind. It packs down really small and is very light. I wear it either over a base layer or a fleece depending on temperature, and it cuts down the wind without making me hot and sweaty. I still take that if it's relatively warm but might get windy. I also find it great for a breezy day out at the coast. My eldest son still uses the men's version over a fleece as his mid-layer.

Next step was getting a Rab Vapourise Lite softshell. I generally find thatfor most of the year, in cold-middling temperatures I can keep that on, it cuts out the wind better than the Aurora, copes with light showers and manages to keep me at a sensible temperature while active. Tougher than the Aurora. The downside was that as I started walking in colder weather, I needed more insulation underneath it and its lining doesn't work well over fleeces.

This winter I picked up a Rab Alpha Flux jacket in the sales, an "active insulation" jacket with Polar Alpha Direct. It's the best thing yet at wicking moisture away from my skin, keeps me warm on short stops too. When I was in the Brecon Beacons in the snow in January that and a thermal base layer were enough while walking. But it doesn't cut out wind very well.

So lots of trial and error over quite a few years, all items picked up in the sales. If you walk warm and you're not expecting to walk much in very cold weather, I would skip the active insulation and either go for a fleece plus windshirt or a softshell.

astaman

« Reply #12 on: 09:22:29, 25/07/19 »
I often just carry a woollen jumper to wear as a mid-layer under a denser lightweight wind resistant top. Wool works well in this way even if it has limitations as an outer layer. Shetland wool (other sheep are available) insulates particularly well. A mid-layer just needs to be functional and reasonably light there's no reason in my view to spend a fortune on something 'technical'.

roughyed

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 15:26:52, 25/07/19 »
I have a thin gridded fleece for chilly summers nights and spring and autumn walking.  Anything more than that is too hot for me.  It's a Columbia Triple Canyon fleece.  It is very thin but just enough!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy