Author Topic: Trees  (Read 12087 times)

werringtonwalker

Re: Trees
« Reply #15 on: 21:35:00, 13/03/16 »
Some lovely roots, taken ten days ago at Avebury  on a brief break to celebrate my Dad's 80th birthday.

P1050854 by Nick Lee, on Flickr

And I've posted this one here before - the most photogenic of trees, just below The Roaches near Leek in Staffordshire

Roaches' Tree by Nick Lee, on Flickr
In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks - John Muir

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 21:56:29, 13/03/16 »
ww  -  those roots are amazing   :)

Lovely photo Dovegirl, looks a fab place to walk on a sunny day :)

Thanks Cnicht   :)

Cnicht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 07:00:44, 14/03/16 »
Lots of roots there WW I've seen some like that on Dartmoor covered in moss  O0

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 09:53:08, 14/03/16 »
I too love trees and have hunderds of photos, its impossible to pick favourites, here are a couple of shots from one of our local walks round Studley Royal/Fountains Abbey.

PAG1952

« Reply #19 on: 10:06:17, 14/03/16 »

Taken a year ago on my last ever commute to work.

On the River Severn in Gloucestershire
The sun is always shining.......... it's just that on most days the clouds stop us from seeing it.

Cnicht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 10:15:52, 14/03/16 »
I too love trees and have hunderds of photos, its impossible to pick favourites, here are a couple of shots from one of our local walks round Studley Royal/Fountains Abbey.

Beautiful colours, that's what I love about trees they hold a certain splendour whatever time of the year :)

Cnicht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 10:28:29, 14/03/16 »
Very wintery trees Page :)

Cnicht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 10:29:51, 14/03/16 »
Fabulous photo which reminds me of two LP / album covers - 'Wind & Wuthering' by Genesis and 'Bare Trees' by Fleetwood Mac.
Both album covers used this iconic type of image - so atmospheric.
It may take me  a while to dig one of my tree photos out but by way of a cheat - here is one of my favourite trees :-
http://www.holker.co.uk/the-garden/holker-great-lime/

Hope you can find the photos :)

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 11:34:45, 14/03/16 »
Hope you can find the photos :)

This is a giant Redwood which you suddenly come across on the side of the canal just outside Crickhowell. We were there walking in the Beacons and thought 'he' would be worth seeing. The photo doesn't do justice - he is enormous, so big you can't get the whole tree in the shot.

This is an interesting shot - it looks like the older tree protecting the younger, but just a chance growth around each other. Taken in Ray Wood on the Castle Howard estate in North Yorkshire
« Last Edit: 11:47:42, 14/03/16 by Innominate Man »
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Cnicht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 12:09:35, 14/03/16 »
They do grow huge I have a photo of one somewhere.  When I first looked at your 2nd photo I thought exactly the same, an embrace  O0

Cnicht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 12:10:34, 14/03/16 »

How about this, I took this one on Dartmoor along time ago :)

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 13:45:48, 14/03/16 »
Scot's Pines are a feature that can cause curious thoughts to the walker interested in terrain and those before us, who had to make long distant journeys. They are not an indigenous species in England and Wales and their planting had a particular use. Because of their unique shape and colour they were used as markers for the 'Drover's Ways' that were used to get cattle and sheep out of Wales and down to the London, to feed the growing population.

The western edge of Nescliffe gives a great view of the Welsh border, recently erected info. boards describe how one of the aristocratic landowners landscaped the hill for picnic parties, but I wonder if the planting of Scot's Pines on such a noticeable location was a legacy of the Drover's route from Anglesea, which started by the cattle being driven over the northern end of the Menai  Straights on a Low spring tide. This drive came down over the Clywydian Hills.

This photo is looking directly into the Llynclys gap, the visual break in the Welsh for-hills of the Tanat valley. On our walk this last weekend I became aware of some clusters of SP's that suggested a line of travel passing through Llansilin.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 14:47:17, 14/03/16 »
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 16:51:13, 14/03/16 »

How about this, I took this one on Dartmoor along time ago :)
I think I recognise that avenue of beech trees Cnicht.  Was that taken close to Tottiford Reservoir?  If not it looks very similar.

Cnicht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 18:22:14, 14/03/16 »
I think I recognise that avenue of beech trees Cnicht.  Was that taken close to Tottiford Reservoir?  If not it looks very similar.

Yes Dave :). We camped at Betty Cottles and that night apparently some bloke was peeping into the ladies showers  :D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy