Author Topic: Suggestions for a 50-60 mile walk  (Read 1900 times)

dave_p

Suggestions for a 50-60 mile walk
« on: 09:23:49, 19/03/19 »
Looking for advice.

Last year I suffered a toe injury which has sidelined my walking for about 6 months.  It is now ready to be tested out but not with anything too extreme.  So I'm looking for suggestions for a reasonably manageable walk over the easter weekend of about 4-5 days.

Criteria include:

Nothing too rugged / technical.
Not Offa's Dyke, WHW, Peddar's Way, Norfolk Coast path - done them.
Not Cumbria Way, Hadrian's Wall path - doing them this summer.
Reasonable supply of campsites or wild camping options.
Accessible either end by car/rail.
Max about 60 miles.
Nearish to Birmingham would be helpful too. 

My thoughts:

1. Glyndwr's Way from Welshpool to Mach.  Not sure about whether it might be too tough for me at the moment.

2. Thames path from the source to Oxford - but concerned about flooding.

Any other suggestions?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Suggestions for a 50-60 mile walk
« Reply #1 on: 10:43:50, 19/03/19 »
How about a canal path walk?

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:45:55, 19/03/19 »

Limestone Way in the White Peak?
Or, a bit further from Birmingham, the Herriot Way in the Yorkshire Dales, or even the Dales Way.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:50:44, 19/03/19 »
Chirk to Harlech is a rail to rail station line across Wales. It is about 55 miles longer or shorter is easily worked in around the start up the Ceriog Valley or on the Rhinogs at the end. Ceriog Valley to Llanarmon DC through the Berwyns via the Wayfarers gap to Llandrllo, up the Dee valley to Bala (either side). Lovely choice of ways up to Llyn Celyn, could knock of one of the Arenigs, big or small, then find the old Festiniog-Corwen railway track to Trawsfynydd (spectacular section of walk). Walk across Traws lake by the walkway (walking on water). Then you have a choice of routes through Rhinogs, my choice Moel Ysgyfarnogod to Clip before finding a way down to the coast and the Welsh coast rail line.

Hospitality in the way of interesting pubs all the way and camp sites. Well you will have to do your own route plan and navigate it, but I recommended it a few years ago to a lady (visitor to this forum) taking her 14yr old son on a first multi-day walk at got a thumbs up afterwards. Somewhere on a back post.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

astaman

« Reply #4 on: 10:59:38, 19/03/19 »
As Gunwharfman suggests, a canal walk would be an undemanding test for your toes. You're so well placed in Birmingham. You could take a bus for 50 miles in most directions and walk home.

dave_p

« Reply #5 on: 11:27:54, 19/03/19 »
Thanks for all your suggestions.  I live on a narrowboat and travel the canals day-in day-out so a walking trip would need to offer something different.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:52:10, 19/03/19 »
Sounds 'fun?' One of of my son's friends at school experienced this with her grandfather. When his wife died he sold up and bought a narrowboat and just toured the nation. He just sent his family a postcard of where he was once a week. No idea where he is now.

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:18:06, 19/03/19 »
Checkout .
The Staffordshire Way
 ;) O0

Ralph

« Reply #8 on: 18:11:58, 19/03/19 »
Limestone Way in the White Peak?
Or, a bit further from Birmingham, the Herriot Way in the Yorkshire Dales, or even the Dales Way.
+1 for the Limestone Way

mow1701

« Reply #9 on: 19:38:32, 19/03/19 »
How about

Dales Way or Dales Highway. I’ve done both and camped

dave_p

« Reply #10 on: 08:16:34, 20/03/19 »
Thanks again for all the replies.  The Herriot Way looks interesting.  In it's favour:
1.  The right length.2.  Circular so no problems with transport.3.  Good camping options.4.  Pubs!5.  Looks like I'll be able to bail out if my toe problem reoccurs.
This might just fit the bill for an easy way to ease back into multi day walks.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:15:50, 20/03/19 »

I really liked the Herriot Way.  It's quite varied for a 4 day walk, and, as you noticed, the pubs are good.
We left the car at a café in Aysgarth (for a small fee) but I believe there is some kind of request bus from Garsdale station to Hawes, if it still exists....

dave_p

« Reply #12 on: 09:57:46, 20/03/19 »
If I decide on the Herriot Way I will be wanting to leave my car somewhere.  I'm looking at camping the first night at the Aysgarth Falls Hotel so would ask them about leaving the car.

dave_p

« Reply #13 on: 09:58:59, 20/03/19 »
I really liked the Herriot Way.  It's quite varied for a 4 day walk, and, as you noticed, the pubs are good.
We left the car at a café in Aysgarth (for a small fee) but I believe there is some kind of request bus from Garsdale station to Hawes, if it still exists....
What were the paths like underfoot?  Muddy?

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:26:31, 20/03/19 »

I did it at the end of September about 5 years ago and it wasn't particularly muddy. 
I would think the potential for mud is the old railway line bit between Aysgarth and Hawes, and the last few miles coming back into Aysgarth.  The paths are all quite clear though.  Although the walk wasn't waymarked we didn't have any route finding problems.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy