Author Topic: Brasher boot care  (Read 20125 times)

Captain Picard

Brasher boot care
« on: 08:17:55, 14/05/19 »
Hello everyone,

I just bought a pair of brasher country master boots and I was wondering what product  I should use to treat this type of leather.

Thanks all!

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Re: Brasher boot care
« Reply #1 on: 09:33:46, 14/05/19 »
When Whalley Warm & Dry which is probably widely regarded as one of the best boot retailers and fitters in the country offers advice on the subject of boot care I would suggest that it's probably wise to follow the advice they give. You will find the £10 you spend on boot cleaning and care products will be money well spent provided you follow the advice given.

https://www.whalleyoutdoor.co.uk/walking-boots-care-guide/

You can split Whalley Warm & Dry's recommended wax products in to two distinct categories. The main difference between the two types is the increased oil content in the wax for the high wear areas- Leder Gris Original has 70% wax/30% oil content whilst the Leder Gris Xtreme has 50% wax/50% oil content.

Wax For Everyday All Over Use
Leder Gris Original Clear (Green 80g Tin) (£4.60 upwards) https://www.odintactical.co.uk/leder-gris-boot-wax
Grangers G-Wax (£2.70 upwards)
https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/grangers-g-wax-leather-footwear-conditioner-p342371
https://www.tog24.com/grangers-g-wax-one.html
https://www.amazon.co.uk/G-Wax-Grangers-80g/dp/B078NGW9VQ/
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grangers-G-Wax-80g-Leather-Shoe-Boot-Waterproofer-Proofer-Beeswax-Polish-Dubbing/272674990800
Wax For High Wear Areas Such As Flex Point and Tongue
Leder Gris Xtreme Clear (Red 80g Tin) (£5.00 upwards) https://www.odintactical.co.uk/leder-gris-boot-wax-clear
Cherry Blossom Waxed Leather Oil 100ml (£4.98 upwards) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cherry-Blossom-Waxed-Leather-Oil-100ml/152836834522

You may also find some Nikwax Footwear Cleaning Gel will come in handy.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:34:03, 14/05/19 »
I've had three pairs of leather Brasher Supalite's over the past few years, I just used polish. I know other people would recommend other products but I can't remember what they are. Never had a leather problem/leaking problem until last November when my third pair leaked. Caused by using them a lot in the earlier months heatwave? The other pairs never leaked. When I decided to change them it was always for the same thing, the soles wore out.

Captain Picard

« Reply #3 on: 10:21:51, 14/05/19 »
When Whalley Warm & Dry which is probably widely regarded as one of the best boot retailers and fitters in the country offers advice on the subject of boot care I would suggest that it's probably wise to follow the advice they give. You will find the £10 you spend on boot cleaning and care products will be money well spent provided you follow the advice given.

You may also find some Nikwax Footwear Cleaning Gel will come in handy.

This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you. Do you recommend any wax brushes?

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:49:31, 14/05/19 »
No particular brush recommendations. I rub the wax on to the boots using the heat from my fingers to get as much wax as possible absorbed into the boots. Thin layers of wax is the key to doing it right - less is more - 2 or 3 thin layers is far easier to work in to the leather than one thick layer. I use a cheap and nasty twin pack of small brushes ~£4 from the local supermarket for brushing the oils contained within the wax down into the leather. These cheap brushes eventually clog with wax and the bristles do pull out but they get the job done but do need replacing occasionally. I use a decent 6" horse hair brush (£5 or £6 eBay or amazon) for buffing.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:39:22, 14/05/19 »
My shoe brushes are family heirlooms (I think dad was issued with them in WW2).  When the brushing in brush starts to clog I rub some washing up liquid into and run it under the hot tap.  Only have to do it 2 or 3 times a year.  Comes up good as new.
Solvitur Ambulando

Pitboot

« Reply #6 on: 12:47:57, 14/05/19 »
My shoe brushes are family heirlooms (I think dad was issued with them in WW2).  When the brushing in brush starts to clog I rub some washing up liquid into and run it under the hot tap.  Only have to do it 2 or 3 times a year.  Comes up good as new.

My boot brushes are like Trigger's road sweeper broom.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:19:46, 02/06/19 »
Just keep them clean, after every use, and apply good quality boot polish.
I had a pair of the original Brasher Hillmasters, back in the 1980s, and they lasted for nearly eleven years.

The uppers did eventually crack near the tongue area above your toes, but that was down to age.

The soles had lost virtually all their tread, but apart from general wear and tear, the uppers were still in good condition, and blimey they were cosy.

Their still in the garage of my mothers home, and their now used as gardening boots.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:13:34, 02/06/19 »
Is there anything you can do for boots with cracked uppers?  Have a pair of boots I consider pretty much the 'most comfortable ever' and I'm loathed to throw them despite them probably having a couple of thousand miles on them.  Perhaps some kind of waterproof/putty for boots to try and stop them degrading further? Or is the simple answer to just load tonnes of wax onto that area and accept their eventual demise?

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:43:51, 02/06/19 »
Is there anything you can do for boots with cracked uppers?  Have a pair of boots I consider pretty much the 'most comfortable ever' and I'm loathed to throw them despite them probably having a couple of thousand miles on them.  Perhaps some kind of waterproof/putty for boots to try and stop them degrading further? Or is the simple answer to just load tonnes of wax onto that area and accept their eventual demise?

You could try using a flexible adhesive such as Shoe Goo or McNett Freesole or some other flexible adhesive suitable for use on leather to attempt the repair although I'm pretty sure it will only delay the inevitable for a short while and the finished result definitely won't look pretty. Ensure the effected area is thoroughly cleaned using isopropyl alcohol, white spirit or something similar before you attempt the repair. Once the repair is completed and fully dried apply 2 or 3 thin coats of something like Grangers Leather Conditioner or similar and brush each coat well in. Follow this with 2 or 3 thin coats of a decent wax (see Whalley Warm & Dry's recommendations/instructions above).

This earlier thread may be worth a read http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=37261.0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:45:00, 02/06/19 »
  Try Leder Gris Extreme (red label), it should regenerate the suppleness of the leather, re-oil it and prevent further cracking.  If the cracking has gone right through but is only minor, say no more and 1cm, then I have had good results with Seam Grip repair sealant worked into the crack with the end of a cocktail stick (works for split stitching on non load bearing areas of the upper too).  After the red label has worked its magic, follow up with Leder Gris green label.  I do all the flex areas of our boots with red label whenever I deep clean our boots (i.e. a laces out clean)
Solvitur Ambulando

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:57:11, 02/06/19 »
Cheers guys, really helpful.  Not too bothered how it looks as long as it's somewhat functional, but definitely should have started the maintenance earlier before letting damage develop, it's more like I'm trying to stem the tide at this point.

EddieJ

« Reply #12 on: 17:43:10, 11/06/19 »
Hi, after having just received the very same boots today, I have what might seem a daft question in relation to caring for the boots.

The padded ankle area is a lovely soft leather, and I am wondering whether it is prudent to treat this area as well, or leave it alone? I don't want to risk applying anything if it might adversely affect the current softness.

Any opinions in respect of this greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:01:21, 11/06/19 »
I have never met a boot care product that made leather harder.  On the other hand, if you let water penetrate leather by failing to treat it and then let it dry out, it can get very stiff.  Care for your boots and they will look after you.  My personal favourite is Leder Gris.  Some new boots are surprisingly hungry when new, take your time and work the product in well.  Several thin coats are better than a thick coat. Use Leder Gris Extreme or something similar from time to time on the crease areas to prevent cracking.  Settling in a comfy chair with glass of something and cleaning your boots can be a therapeutic activity.
Solvitur Ambulando

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:24:37, 11/06/19 »
The padded ankle area is a lovely soft leather, and I am wondering whether it is prudent to treat this area as well, or leave it alone? I don't want to risk applying anything if it might adversely affect the current softness.

Any opinions in respect of this greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

If you read the description on Brasher's (and other) websites https://www.brasher.co.uk/mens/250717-brs-m-country-mast.html the outside of the padded ankle cuff is suede not leather.
Features

• Waterproof - eVent® technology ensures your feet remain dry in wet conditions without compromising breathability.
  • Vibram® outsole - unbeatable grip on all terrain including wet and rocky trails.
  • Comfortable underfoot - the PU midsole and footbded offers a lightweight and flexible construction.
  • Added comfort - full rubber brand, leather lined cuff and suede outer cuff prevents the shoes from rubbing and feels great against your ankle.
  • Upper: Premium leather

• Whilst the rest of the boot would benefit from being waxed using the products recommended by Whalley Warm & Dry in the leaflet posted above the outside of the ankle cuff on those boots is made from suede not leather and that suede area of the boot would be best treated with something like Nikwax Nubuck & Suede Proof (either sponge on or spray on depending on which you prefer) or some other waterproofing spray specifically for use on suede.

https://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/productdetail.php?productid=77

In my experience waxing suede successfully is almost impossible as the wax doesn't get fully absorbed into the suede and the finish usually ends up being a sticky mess.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy