Author Topic: New Wainwrights record.  (Read 1758 times)

Slogger

• Veteran Member
New Wainwrights record.
« on: 18:14:46, 20/06/19 »
Ive been tracking Paul Tierney for the last 6/7 days as he attempted to beat Steve Birkinshaws record run of all the Wainwright summits. It involves well over 300 miles and visiting all 214 Wainwright  peak summits.He finished today to the applause of hundreds of spectators in keswick and joss naylor was on the steps of the Moot Hall to congratulate him,His time - 6 days 6 hours and 5 minutes, beyond Awsome!
« Last Edit: 18:21:34, 20/06/19 by Slogger »

lostme1

• Veteran Member
Re: New Wainwrights record.
« Reply #1 on: 08:46:36, 21/06/19 »
I wonder if Joss Naylor in 1987 had all the support that Steve and Paul had for their runs. Does anyone know?
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

photonut

« Reply #2 on: 20:54:10, 22/06/19 »
I wonder if Joss Naylor in 1987 had all the support that Steve and Paul had for their runs. Does anyone know?

Probably not.  But I don't think that would have bothered Joss one bit.

Nevertheless, the achievement of completing the Wainwrights so quick is nothing short of unbelievable.  Hats off to all three for the competitive spirit too   O0   I understand Steve was running along wit Paul for a while to help him along

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:56:23, 25/06/19 »
Joss didn't have as many runners running with him (before social media, mobiles and internet) but did have sufficient support similar to todays Bob graham attempts.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:55:32, 27/06/19 »
That is a fantastic physical and mental achievement. However, I fail to see the appeal of turning walks into record attempts. In my opinion it takes all the enjoyment away.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:26:18, 27/06/19 »
That is a fantastic physical and mental achievement. However, I fail to see the appeal of turning walks into record attempts. In my opinion it takes all the enjoyment away.
I was thinking that too but coward that I am, I wasn't going to be the first to say it.
Solvitur Ambulando

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:52:54, 27/06/19 »
“I am attracted to a challenge that might well be beyond me, but I really do like running in the hills - and this will definitely be an opportunity to overdose on that!”  Paul Tierney.

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 06:04:12, 28/06/19 »
A fantastic achievement, actually pretty amazing achievement of endurance. But I don't relate it to what most of us are out there for. But well done to Paul Tierney, and the record breakers before and after him, a fitness level most of us can only dream of  O0
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:58:41, 28/06/19 »
Professional Fell Running (racing) in the :Lake District and other hill areas was well established long before Wainwright began writing his walking books. it was mostly from the farming community which was much larger than it is today. That's how the Naylor family being farmers got into fell running.As for enjoyment, it always amuses me that those that don't run the fells and therefore 'don't get it', think that it can't be enjoyable. Fact is it is enormous fun and when you can do long distances with lots of ascent it is truly satisfying, and I for one wish that I could still do it, I miss it enormously.

Pitboot

« Reply #9 on: 16:11:35, 28/06/19 »

O0 O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy