Author Topic: The truth about single skin / hybrid tents  (Read 12983 times)

beefy

• Veteran Member
The truth about single skin / hybrid tents
« on: 11:09:40, 21/06/18 »
This is a $700 tent  :o

https://youtu.be/yQGDZItXroQ

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Re: The truth about single skin / hybrid tents
« Reply #1 on: 14:53:07, 21/06/18 »
This is a $700 tent  :o

https://youtu.be/yQGDZItXroQ

Hmm that doesn't look like an enjoyable night's sleep.

I must say I'm not convinced by single skins other than my canvas bell tent which is glorious, although at 30KG it's a bit heavy for solo backpacking.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:52:54, 21/06/18 »
Two skins are better than one!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:06:16, 21/06/18 »
Two skins are better than one!

Would that mean that four would be even better ?

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:03:35, 21/06/18 »
Not everyone has four skins though  ;)

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:47:14, 21/06/18 »
Not everyone has four skins though  ;)
Mel  :o
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:52:09, 21/06/18 »

scottk

« Reply #7 on: 20:01:22, 21/06/18 »
Looks like a really poor pitch. It should be taut and not saggy like the one in the video. I've seen a couple of the z pack tents in the flesh and they are really nice but not my choice for UK weather. For sure the guys I was with didn't have those issues and they either got them dry by leaving the door open while having breakfast or gave it a quick wipe.
Would be a fairer and more objective test if the person had been more competent.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:31:31, 21/06/18 »

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:06:28, 21/06/18 »
https://youtu.be/CgbcQIT7BMc

;D

How they did that without laughing is beyond me  :)
Hate will never win

marmottungsten

« Reply #10 on: 23:34:28, 23/06/18 »
Looks like a really poor pitch. It should be taut and not saggy like the one in the video. I've seen a couple of the z pack tents in the flesh and they are really nice but not my choice for UK weather. For sure the guys I was with didn't have those issues and they either got them dry by leaving the door open while having breakfast or gave it a quick wipe.
Would be a fairer and more objective test if the person had been more competent.

You can be the most competent camper in the world, you will never be able to stop condensation in a single wall tent, especially ones made of DCM, like the Zpacks tents...It may be waterproof, but it isn't exactly breathable, so without leaving the door or doors open a bit, even in the rain, there is nowhere for moisture in your breath to go except onto the inner surface of the tent wall.
 The driest tents are two wall tents which have an inner tent that is mostly made of no see-um mesh. 
The mesh is highly breathable, allowing moisture to pass through and be carried away by the slight draught that the design sets up between the inner and outer walls, before it has time to condense on the inside of the rain fly.
 Most of the best new tent designs utilise mesh inner's as it is the most effective method to stop condensation.  Two wall tents are heavier though, so it comes down to whether you prefer to carry a lighter base weight or being able to enjoy a dry nights sleep.
« Last Edit: 23:52:14, 23/06/18 by marmottungsten »

marmottungsten

« Reply #11 on: 23:47:08, 23/06/18 »
;D

How they did that without laughing is beyond me  :)

Apparently it was never supposed to be seen outside of the ITV as it was made for an internal gathering of ITV executives and staff...Luckily for us, it somehow got released.  ;D 

Troggy

« Reply #12 on: 09:42:00, 24/06/18 »
  :) Great stuff Alan!!! They'd be shot by the thought police nowadays.

Requiem

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 10:49:17, 24/06/18 »
It's weird all these reports of condensation, I've a TN Jupiter Bivvy which sits (like all bivvys) against my sleeping bag and never transfers any condensation at all - Its as if single skinned shelters really need to have a minimal volume and PROPER breathable fabric so the action of you body heating and breathing the small amount of volume within the shelter slowly expels air OUT through the tents skin

It also seems to be about pitching at times. I always pitch the low end of any tent into the prevailing wind, and the wider entrance in lee of the breeze - This always seems to make a vortex at the high end of the tent which against circulates air and keeps condensation down?

Roy
PT Business: poshpollyprints.co.uk
Twitter: @pollardroy
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/roypollard/
Facebook: Roy Pollard

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 11:05:00, 24/06/18 »
Can't say that condensation bothers me much, it happens of course but except for the odd drip, usually because I nudged the mesh by mistake, I've always managed to stay dry. When awake and as soon as I can and if its not raining, I just whip the outer tent off, give it a quick whizz over with a flannel and lay it out flat. Its usually dry, or at least not so wet, by the time I need to pack it. If I have to pack wet I try to find a place sometime later in the day where I can lay it out flat again.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy