Author Topic: For general walking what gear do you use  (Read 7098 times)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
For general walking what gear do you use
« on: 22:46:25, 30/05/07 »
A perrenial question, so I thought I'd share what I currently use. I only recently (as in Jan this year) started proper walking again with mate who was in a similar situation. So at that time we considered that in six months we may give it up as a bad job (although now that looks very unlikely) I went cheap and took advantage of various sales in December as did he, but I'll only cover my stuff here.

So this is the gear I use and you can probably guess which is the newer stuff. Prices are obviously what I paid / should have paid at the time.

Boots - Hi Tec.
Cost about £30 down from £50. They don't have a vibram sole and are nubuck uppers. There are water proof but don't have goretex liners. They're a bit like Hi Tec Journey Lites.
Opinion - Well they've served me well, you have to keep the soles clean but they've remained dry inside even through streams and comfortable even on our very first walk. Not a bad start. Blister count = 0.
Replacement? Not planning to at the moment but if I feel flush probably some scarpa's. If I don't feel flush then I'll look at the Hi-Tec range again.

Walking jacket - Regatta Magnitude III.
Cost about £25, down from £40. Not recommended in snow (I use multiple layers for that) and very cold conditions. Hood built in, no peak though. Pockets all seem waterproof.
Opinion - They've managed very well, despite not having a seperate internal fleece (they're fleece lined instead) they kept me dry in fairly heavy rain, and pretty breathable in warmer weather. You do sweat in hot or very warm weather, but it packs up nicely to stow away.
Replacement? Probably won't. I'll just keep my layers according to conditions. If we do winter walking then maybe re-assess.

High wicking layers. - Trekmate (various lightweight tops)
Cost about £15. Very light weight, nicely breathable tops in short or long sleeve, zip or closed neck.
Opinion - Fantastic, especially for the money, light enough to combine with heavier jackets etc. very breatable IME.
Replacement? Well they get laddered comparatively easily but considering what they're made of that isn't a suprise. Will replace with the same.

Walking Trousers.
Two pairs. One normal utility/combat trouser (about £13), one pair of Craghopper zip off Kiwi's (£25 quid as new (and yes they were as new), thanks ebay).
Opinion - Utility trousers well what can you say, more pockets that you can shake a stick at, comfortable and dry fairly quickly. The Craggies, well not as many pockets (they miss a leg pocket) but a very useful mobile and zip up pockets. Dry very quickly and if I want to scare small children I can convert them into shorts.
Replacement? Will replace both when I need to with Craghoppers.

Approach Shoes. NF Hedgehogs.
Vibram sole, goretex, £75, but I got the store (Blacks) to come down to £65. It helps when they have a competitor next door.
Opinion - Excellent, although my mate has a pair of hi-tec about a tenner cheaper with a vibram soul (and slightly better tread pattern) and I doubt there's much to separate them really.
Replacement? May actually go to the hi-tec when the time comes. Don't expect that to be any time soon though.

Sack. Vango 30+5.
Can't remember exactly, except it was half price and fitted well. Air back for what that's worth and plenty of pockets etc. Bright orange rain cover and some completely waterproof pockets. A 15lt very old reebok for when a pack isn't really required but no point going into that.
Opinion - nice and comfortable and as we day walk only, more than enough space (although inevitably it's getting fuller). No problems with zips, clips or anything.
Replacement? Can't see any need to for a long time, probably get the same make when I do though.

So that's what I use at admittedly the cheap end of the market (my initial gear was about £150 (would have been £2-250 if it wasn't in a sale). But it's given me many hours of safe enjoyment out there and i fully expect many more, which is the main thing.

What do you use and how would you rate it?
« Last Edit: 22:58:14, 30/05/07 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

titaniumdude

Re: For general walking what gear do you use
« Reply #1 on: 00:26:37, 31/05/07 »
Hiya Dazza,  good question.

I use the following

Boots.  3 season- karrimor KSB Skye.  Like these, wide fitting and after a year they fit like old slippers, but are now in need of an overhaul and that will cost nearly as much as replacing them.  3/4 season-  Altberg Mckinley terek boots.  Very solid, c1 compatible, good protection.

Jacket- Summerish time, mountain equipment matrix.  First one I got was made from faulty gore tex, replaced now and it's fine.  Good lightweight jacket, bit short for winter.  Winterish time- Montant superfly xt.  Can't fault this bit of kit, highly breathable Event and a very solid jacket with venting options and a good lenght.  Only complaint with these two is that there are more pockets than I need.

Waterproof pants.  Summerish time-Berghaus paclite- I'm retiring these cos they are pants.  Have more holes than swiss cheese now, can hardly sit on a rock without tearing them.  Winterish time (in fact I'm using them all the time now)-  Army surplus dpm goretex pants.  Bought on Ebay for 20 quid used, perfect condition, only needed the DWR renewing.  Only weigh 320g, hard wearing, can easily get them on over boots.  Would recommend these as a budget overtrouser.

Walking trousers- Yep Craghopper kiwis.  Excellent hard as nails pants.  My first pair has been practically bleached white by the sun and have tears, stitches, holes and although on their last legs are still wearable.

Walking shoes-  Nowt wrong with TNF hedgehogs.  Not looked after mine at all and after a year they're still fine.  Net time I may buy unlined ones and wear gore tex socks when I need to have them waterproof.

Sack- Berghaus freeflow 3, 35+8.  Great pack and very roomy.  Expandable side pockets, good compression, solid pole/ice axe holders.  A comfortable carry and the freeflow system does help keep you cooler and drier.  This pack is easily big enough to carry all the gear for short bivi trips and I've even managed to carry my Akto with it on a wet 2 nighter.  My only niggle is that the shoulder straps slipped and lost tension (could be a bit annoying on scrambles), but I get around this by tieing the straps once I've adjusted them right.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

Snowman

« Reply #2 on: 10:21:25, 31/05/07 »
Hi Dazza,

I agree - this is a good thread as it gives people an idea of what might be worth getting.    Mine is:

Boots - I've got an old pair of Brasher Hillmaster GTXs, which are great now.   I say 'now' because when I first got them they creased over the big toe and were extremely uncomfortable.    I used gallons of leather softener and started lacing from the second rings up and now they're fine.   I also have an even older pair of Salomon X-Adventure boots which are a dream to wear but the side bits (can't remember what they're called) are a nightmare to clean behind after a muddy walk.   As the Brasher's are much easier to clean I tend to use them for low level where mud is anticipated and the Salomon's for hillwalking.    I've also got a pair of 4 season boots (i.e. take crampons) but they weigh a ton so I don't use them unless I have to.   Also the high ankle cuff rubs a bit.   They're La Sportiva - Makalu.

Jacket - I've also got a lightweight Regatta jacket for general use, but use a Lowe Alpine Triplepoint lightweight for trekking.    Winter use - a Lowe Alpine Triplepoint ceramic (which they've stopped making which is a shame because it's a great jacket).

Technical tops - I've got a Peter Storm that is a little hard (rubbed my nipples 'til they bled once - nasty).   M&S have done some that do the job well and are much cheaper than the big name brands, although for trekking I want something that is pretty well guaranteed to dry out overnight after washing so have a couple of Lowe Alpine tops.

Trousers - does anyone buy anything other than Craghoppers then?    Although mine weren't the Kiwis but I can't remember what they were.   Had them ages too and have a few holes where I once slid down a scree slope on my a**e.   I recently also bought some Regatta's at Ambleside as I'd forgotten to pack my Craghoppers.   I do like them as they're quite soft and comfortable.     I didn't get more Craghoppers as even the 'long' size wasn't long enough (I'm 6' 4").    I've also got Craghoppers waterproof overtrousers which do what it says on the label.

Walking shoes - Merrell.   Let's just say I wouldn't buy them again.   Thankfully they don't get used on serious terrain because I think they'd have fallen apart ages ago if they had.    Reasonably comfortable, but now they look tatty.

Sack - I've got an old Field and Trek own brand 25 ltr for general use, although for summer I got one of those bum bags with water bottle holders (which conveniently take 2 half litre Sigg bottles).   This takes the lightweight Regatta waterproof, basic first aid stuff, a compass and a map.    For serious days out I've also got a Craghoppers 35 ltr waterprood sack.    For trekking I've got a Lowe Alpine 45 ltr (if hostelling) and a Karrimor 65+10 for self-sufficiency trips.   All are fine, although I find that the straps on the LA seem to loosen and need regular tightening, especially the belt strap.

Water bottles - I swear by Sigg.   My larger 1 litre bottles have both seen plenty of action and have dents all over the place but are still completely reliable.   They've never leaked and don't change the taste of the water.

Another useful bit of equipment I take is a cellophane sandwich bag.    Why?   Because whenever it rains I seem to end up with my wallet getting wet, especially if I forget (or deliberately leave behind) the overtrousers.    Putting it into pockets helps but as I sweat a lot the wallet still needs protection.    Also useful for the mobile 'phone.

S.

solo backpacker

« Reply #3 on: 15:52:30, 01/06/07 »
this is a good thread but it did make me realise that i don't have a clue what make / model any of my kit is (apart from my hennessy hammock, the name gives it away). next time i go out i'll report back!
Man, I see the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy [censored] we don't need.

nickson71

« Reply #4 on: 19:58:33, 05/06/07 »
Hi newish here

and I'm just getting back into walking ............... been doing it on and off for years so heres the gear I use

boots hi Tex eurotrek ............... had them for years but they've not taken to much of a beating and they are really comfy

jacket - North Face gore tex ...... which to me is light weight ;D and is also newish and hasn't been test to much

trousers - I've got a couple of pairs the first are crag hoppers (had them years) and the second pair are north face with the removable lower leg they are comfortable and dry quick......

waterproof trousers are peter storm i think my only comment on those is they don't work too well when your on a friends yacht in the Irish Sea and it blowing a force 4-5 gusting 6! ........ saying that they do fine on solid land

Bag  - Karrimor 35L ruck sack that is over 10 year old and it's starting to show its age ...... been a good companion all these years..... as this is the only bag I have and I tend to use it on any walk and it carries all my junk ...... most of it I'm not sure I need.

what to get next ......... some tech T shirts as cotten isn't the best and maybe a new bag

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:55:38, 05/06/07 »
this is a good thread but it did make me realise that i don't have a clue what make / model any of my kit is (apart from my hennessy hammock, the name gives it away). next time i go out i'll report back!
To be honest I had to go and check!

When kits just works, you tend to forget what it is until you need to replace it.

Snowman, my wlaking mate bought some of the regatta's he's never had any complaints either. They do look more comfortable than my hoppers and dried out almost as quick when we got caught in the rain.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

titaniumdude

« Reply #6 on: 22:19:49, 05/06/07 »
Hi newish here

and I'm just getting back into walking ............... been doing it on and off for years so heres the gear I use

boots hi Tex eurotrek ............... had them for years but they've not taken to much of a beating and they are really comfy

jacket - North Face gore tex ...... which to me is light weight ;D and is also newish and hasn't been test to much

trousers - I've got a couple of pairs the first are crag hoppers (had them years) and the second pair are north face with the removable lower leg they are comfortable and dry quick......

waterproof trousers are peter storm i think my only comment on those is they don't work too well when your on a friends yacht in the Irish Sea and it blowing a force 4-5 gusting 6! ........ saying that they do fine on solid land

Bag  - Karrimor 35L ruck sack that is over 10 year old and it's starting to show its age ...... been a good companion all these years..... as this is the only bag I have and I tend to use it on any walk and it carries all my junk ...... most of it I'm not sure I need.

what to get next ......... some tech T shirts as cotten isn't the best and maybe a new bag

Hiya Nickson.  Nice to see another (virtual) new face around here.  You sound pretty well kitted out for day trips mate,  When you get more back into it you'll make your own new gear choices.  It's all a matter of what makes you happy in the hills.  There's loads of advice on gear here now if you serf the threads and of course theres folks that'll answer your questions. 

Welcome.  TD
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

solo backpacker

« Reply #7 on: 16:32:10, 07/06/07 »
dazza - could just be my appalling memory too, none of its very old and i spent a fair while making sure i had the right kit, i'm interested now though, but busy too so i'll check sometime soonish. thats called standing on the fence i think.....
Man, I see the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy [censored] we don't need.

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:12:18, 11/06/07 »
dazza - could just be my appalling memory too, none of its very old and i spent a fair while making sure i had the right kit, i'm interested now though, but busy too so i'll check sometime soonish. thats called standing on the fence i think.....
No problem.
Dazza
--------

pbassred

« Reply #9 on: 14:40:49, 24/09/07 »
I started reading this thread because I'm looking fo a good jacket. All I can tell you is that I have a North Face Hivent jacket - Blacks still sell them.  They are still advertised as Waterproof.

Mid August in less than 15 minutes I discovered that its too short. If your underwear gets soaked its no fun.  Sure sign that you need another 10cm.
Also my arms got wet because the seams leak.  A jacket that thin with water on the inside transmits the heat straight out.

For boots Karrimore KSBs pounded my feet on the first long walk.  Far too heavy for hard summer paths but the addition of sorbathene insoles transformed them.  They are my walk to work boots (2.5 miles).  I don't notice the Event (gortex) but I know that it doesn't let water OUT after it runs down your leg and fills them. 4 days to dry them out!

peter60

« Reply #10 on: 15:09:53, 24/09/07 »
Intersting thread...

Boots: Scarpa Ranger GTX, remarkable £70 at Gaynor Sports (Ambleside) - end of line in a fetching grey. Absolutely waterproof, Vibram sole, no breaking in required, very comfortable. Top 3 season boot.  O0 May look at the SL when they need replacing.

Socks: Gaynor Sports own Coolmax (one pair only!)

Thermal: Peter Storm polypropylene vest for winter (nearly good enough for subzero temperatures on its own!) or Peter Storm light breathable vest. Peter Storm fleece for winter or Lowe Alpine light fleece for Spring/Autumn.

Waterproof/Windproof: Mountain Equipment Ogre XCR Goretex jacket. £170 and worth it. Berghaus Deluge Aquafoil overtrousers £36 - not Goretex, but they've been absolutely fine.

Trousers: Craghopper Kiwis (of course! :smitten:). Also Peter Storm thermal long-johns for winter. I do have a pair of £10 Aldi thermal trousers and they are amazing value!

Gaiters: Trekmates Goretex gaiters. Invaluable in heather and scrubland. Never buy non-breathable gaiters, too uncomfortable!

Hat: An acrylic knitted thing that looks really naff from Millets but gets a perfect balance between warmth and breathability. I do look a complete and utter p**t in it though  :D.

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:23:35, 23/11/07 »
I;ve added a 20+5 Berghaus day pack to my set up but I have a question.

Recently I did a 17 mile walk. It basically rained for an hour then snowed for the next 5. So I was wearing over trousers.

Well over trousers tend to lack on the breathable front, so a week later I'm left with a cut that isn't healing well (cos of where it is) and would like to avoid it in future. To that end I'm looking to avoid over trousers if I can.

So what does the panel recommend? I was looking at Crag Hoppers Ridge trousers or maybe some Paramo's. Now I get hot and sweaty (sorry folks) so breathability and staying cool is an important factor. I don't mind spending the cash but £80 is probably the max I'd go to.
Dazza
--------

Solofool

« Reply #12 on: 00:37:20, 28/11/07 »
Hi all thought i would add my few bits and bobs

No boots i wear inov mudrocs(http://www.inov-8.com/Products-Detail.asp?L=26&PG=PG1&P=5050973011) great lightweight shoes (once you get past worrying about wet feet they are and very light, have used them multi-day with a full pack, i always found with boots unless i was wearing my yeti gaiters they got wet and took forever to dry, with these shoes you get wet and are almost dry within in minutes).

Trousers, i do have the normal Crags Kiwi, but normally wear Ron hill tracksters (again once your past worrying about your lunch box on show far better than the crags)

I have a few base layer zip tops to wick the sweat and a great berghaus infinity lite pertex fleece type thing, packs small and very warm around camp.

Pack is a bright orange 55ltr kimmlite mountain mover (strong light and enough room for 3days or 2 weeks wild camping).

No tent now, i use a golite tarp along with a rab bivi bag (with 6 pegs and using walking sticks shelter weight is just over 1kg but with masses of room and most importantly tiny pack size it has many flexible options depending on weather conditions).

And a nice snugpac sleeping bag (rated to -7 but more like 0).

My next bit of kit is to replace my existing self inflating 3/4 mat with this baby, 9cm of down filled pleasure (http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/Outdoor/ProductDetails.aspx?language=en-GB&product=1177601)
although it is costly i need my beauty sleep.

Oh and the titanium mug and spork......this all sounds expensive and most bits are except for ebay (thank god) but by going with this kit i have lowered my pack weight to 5kg excluding water and food for multiday trips.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 12:43:03, 29/11/07 »
Dazza

I f you get hot and sweaty, i would stay away from Paramo (sorry folks at Paramo, still love you). You can now but Rab Latok pants for under that in most places, i think snow & rock always reduce them at this time of year. They are a great walking  trouser, hardwearing, made out of Event, plus they have a full zip, which can be good. Hope this helps  O0
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy