Author Topic: Recommendations for West coast of Scotland  (Read 1964 times)

HikerSte

Recommendations for West coast of Scotland
« on: 12:37:08, 06/03/18 »
Hi - we'll spending some time on the West Coast of Scotland in a couple of months, mainly:

Glencoe
Oban area (just North of)
Gairloch area
Skye

Does anyone kindly have any suggestions? We're open to anything really, we don't mind routes of 1,000m+ ascent but equally don't mind pottering about lower level.

thanks in advance  :)

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: Recommendations for West coast of Scotland
« Reply #1 on: 18:04:54, 06/03/18 »
From the Applecross pass road about .25 mile from Tornapress go straight up to Ben Bhan then along the top. Drop down into the back corrie by the little loch and follow the stalkers track back to Tornapress.

I know that's a bit vague but if you look at a map it will make sense. It's a long time since I did it but the moutains don't change and the track is still there.

Also, if you're in that area and have any interest in flora visit the Rassal Ashwood about a mile north and on the opposite side of the road from Tornapress. From the wood you could go up over the hill - it's limestone so quite different from the surrounding landscape - down into the gorge and possibly go upstream to a waterfall or down to Tornapress though not if it's running fast and you'll probably get wet even if not.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:26:05, 06/03/18 »

A nice low level walk in Glencoe is the Lairig Gartain and Lairig Eilde round, if it's the kind of day you don't want to go up high.
The Walk Highlands website is a very good resource for walking in Scotland.  If you click on the walks section then look at the various places you will be visiting, you will find route descriptions of all kinds of walks, from easy strolls to big mountain days.  That is always my first port of call when planning holidays.

nesty

« Reply #3 on: 15:50:47, 18/03/18 »
Not sure if this a bit north for you.
Though Old man of Stoer on from Lochinver (B869) towards Clachtoll. A great campsite on the beach at Clachtoll.
The area offers excellent views and some decent walks. The road again requires some concentration, if you in a motor-home or campervan with weight. Though really nice scenery.
Also, if you go in May. Beware of the midges. They will be out in force. I went through this overgrowth on Skye and they descended on me like a shot. It can be painful!
Though enjoy!   
« Last Edit: 16:00:29, 18/03/18 by nesty »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy