Author Topic: Exmoor National Park Version of Lake District Zip Wires?  (Read 4699 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
The Woody Bay Railway have applied to extend their track across the Exmoor National Park.  News story here:
https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/first-phase-multi-million-pound-1306343
This is the first stage of a long term ambition to link Lynton to Barnstaple.

Given the animated discussions on the proposed zipwires for Thirlmere and Honister in the Lake District I wonder what forum members views would be on this project.  Disneyfication of the National Park or worthwhile development?
« Last Edit: 20:26:43, 09/03/18 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Exmoor National Park Version of Lake District Zip Wires?
« Reply #1 on: 14:39:07, 09/03/18 »
I don't know the area very well at all but my instinct is against.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:47:01, 09/03/18 »
My instinct is against it too. I'd rather see better bus access to the National Park.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:04:18, 09/03/18 »
Another against this, like Dovegirl,  I say buses are the answer  :) 

I don't know the area but if there is road access, why is new rail track needed?
Hate will never win

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:21:27, 09/03/18 »
Another against this, like Dovegirl,  I say buses are the answer  :) 

I don't know the area but if there is road access, why is new rail track needed?

The two car parks that will be linked by the proposed extension of the existing railway are already on the 300, 309 and 310 bus routes that run parallel to the proposed track.  Currently the train just shuttles backwards and forwards on 0.9 miles of track.

On the other hand, if they ever succeed in reopening the entire route of the line from Barnstaple to Lynton they will have a railway link to the existing railway network and a tourist attraction akin to the Blaenau Ffestiniog railway.
« Last Edit: 20:26:06, 09/03/18 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:34:40, 10/03/18 »
I think it's a great idea. It's a narrow gauge railway so takes up less space and small engines. If the full length from Barnstaple to Lynton is achieved (doubtful in the near future) then the link, via the Barnstaple Exeter track is actually to main rail network - the Somerset Steam Railway doesn't have that advantage as there is no link between Taunton and Bishops Lydeard - so L&B would give access to the North Devon part of the coastpath and the footpaths of the Lyn valley and Exmoor  from all over the country as well as allowing holiday makers to visit Lynton and it's iconic cliff railway without driving on the narrow roads of North Devon. Might even bring a bit of added income to struggling pubs and shops of the villages it would serve.
However, to judge from the heated meeting shown on local TV, people who now own some of the land have absolutely no intention of allowing it to be used, though I did wonder if some of them actually lived there or had holiday/second homes.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:44:12, 11/03/18 »
I'm all for it, I love the heritage railways in North Wales or how about the Ravenglass-Eskdale in the Lake District.

It would be reinstating the old track rather than building something completely new and it's mostly running parallel to the A39 rather than across open moor.

The railways website is quite interesting

https://www.lynton-rail.co.uk/
Enjoy every sandwich

Maggot

« Reply #7 on: 21:43:37, 27/03/18 »
Truthfully though, a straight choice between a steam train and a bus, it's the train every time.

These type of thing are always fraught, and bring lots of NIMBY's out, is there a Not In My National Park version (NIMNP maybe).  People need to be encouraged outside, if they use the train the first time, then walk the next, then all is good.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy