Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 295543 times)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #90 on: 17:58:56, 30/10/16 »
OS Map 449, showing the area of the extreme top of the  Scottish highlands i visited a few weeks ago.
Looking towards Ben Hope, the most northerly Monroe, made me make up my mind to do the entire North Coast 500 in a year or two.
Stunning scenery, that only the sheer height of the Scottish Highlands can offer, and the peace and solitude of travelling in hellish remote countryside.

Must make sure my AA cover is up to date, before i travel, as the Kyle of Tongue is not the place for a puncture.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #91 on: 18:02:25, 30/10/16 »

Must make sure my AA cover is up to date, before i travel, as the Kyle of Tongue is not the place for a puncture.

nor is it the place for a phone signal  ::)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #92 on: 18:07:01, 30/10/16 »
Best learn to change a wheel then  :)
Solvitur Ambulando

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #93 on: 18:13:25, 30/10/16 »
Best learn to change a wheel then  :)

He'll just talk into the valve. All the hot air that comes out of him will have his motor looking like an American monster truck in minutes  :D
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #94 on: 19:46:41, 30/10/16 »
Just had a fleece balaclava delivered, £3.42 + 60p postage on Amazon - maybe I should have posted it on the Bargain thread, lol.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009NETUBY/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

Pull it down the back of my head and it's a neck warmer, or I can fold it up to make a slightly bulky hat. It's better than in the illustration that shows cords to tighten around the face coming out at cheek level, because on my one they are near the chin.
It is better quality than one I had before from eBay, that was absolute rubbish. I bought the new one on the basis of two reviewers saying it was windproof; time will tell if they were right.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #95 on: 20:05:05, 30/10/16 »
I'm always interested in how peoples pack size varies.

I'd be interested to know what equipment everyone takes, and what foods, for a day hike,  a couple of day's, and a weeks wild camping?

Well, it looks like some of you are going to die laughing when I say I use a 35L day sack and a 75L backpack!

Day: waterproofs, insulated jacket (nearly all of my walks are between  autumn and late spring), fleece hat, sun hat, 2 sandwiches, chocolate, 2 cans of fizzy pop, dslr camera, spare batteries for it, and occasionally a macro lens.
Muliple-day:see https://snowdoniabackpacking.wordpress.com/gear-list/

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #96 on: 21:56:47, 30/10/16 »
Well, it looks like some of you are going to die laughing when I say I use a 35L day sack and a 75L backpack!

Day: waterproofs, insulated jacket (nearly all of my walks are between  autumn and late spring), fleece hat, sun hat, 2 sandwiches, chocolate, 2 cans of fizzy pop, dslr camera, spare batteries for it, and occasionally a macro lens.
Muliple-day:see https://snowdoniabackpacking.wordpress.com/gear-list/

Perhaps we should start another thread for this, I bet loads of peeps would be interested, I'd certainly find it useful O0

I can't remember what I last bought but I do have a short shopping list so will report back.

I did buy some zimbubuluba (sp?) 'Walking'trousers but since they are cotton and quite baggy I don't think they'd be suitable for walking really. Fun though, I just wear them about at home.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #97 on: 22:06:10, 30/10/16 »
Last walking related thing I bought was 2 nights in a B&B for £70  O0

Prior to that it was a cheap pay as you go smartphone with GPS ... for sole use as a GPS  :)

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #98 on: 22:35:02, 30/10/16 »
@ alewife
Agreed re. a separate thread, I was thinking the same myself.
And agreed re. the cotton trousers not being suitable for outdoors. Cotton soaks up moisture easily, makes you cold once it gets wet, and it doesn't dry easily. When I was looking for new hiking trousers this year I was rather shocked to find that although the UK's probable biggest outdoors gear supplier had the largest selection, the majority of these were cotton. Irresponsible, in my opinion.

@ Mel
As I'm thinking of asking for a replacment for my Fred Flintstone flip phone for Christmas but can't decide which make and model, do you mind me asking which was the cheap pay as you go smartphone with gps you bought?

Mel

• Veteran Member

RubberSoul

« Reply #100 on: 13:24:40, 31/10/16 »
Got a pair of bins this week end Bushnells 10x25 and got a tenner off the price too. Awesome little things. Perfect for what I need and waterproof and lightweight too. Wish I bough a pair sooner.

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #101 on: 21:30:27, 05/11/16 »
Decided to treat myself to a New lightweight tent

Its a Helium Force 10 .   ;)

One man tent approx  1.3kg. :o

Nice and light for future Camping and Hiking .
Zizag O0

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #102 on: 08:19:18, 06/11/16 »
Kahtoola Microspikes £20 arrived this week. Plus as we're heading into winter season, just replaced my two head torch battries adding spares as well, came to about £12. O0

I have some plans  :D
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #103 on: 09:08:25, 06/11/16 »
Kahtoola Microspikes £20 arrived this week.

At that price where ever you got them from ought to be in the bargain thread.  ;)

maximurph

« Reply #104 on: 09:31:01, 06/11/16 »
Kinkyboots thanks for your post on the inov8 Roclites just what I was looking for its saved me a good few quid :-*

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy