Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292279 times)

Requiem

• Veteran Member
Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #300 on: 17:23:39, 01/07/17 »
Every ten years or so three or four of my absolute favourites wear out all at the same time - usually my fave socks (yes, sad), my waterproof and my besty fleece along with maybe some walking shoes or (ag heaven forbid) my rucksack. Last night during my quiet nightshift I went online to replace my old OMM Rucksack, my Lowe walking shoes, my 1000mile socks with what appear to have metallic thread to stop them stinking, my Montaine super duper waterproof and my Montane microfleece.
Amazingly, after shopping around for newer better products I've eventually settled on pretty much the same product from the same brands - some like the OMM rucksack and the Montane stuff are equivalent, but they've remained the same price after discounts so I'm happy that I'll have another 5-10 years of use.

I can't decide if my brand loyalty is due to picking the best I could get in the first place, due to getting old and fearful of change, or a combination of the two. But its like always having a Latte when you go into Cafe Nero - its strangely satisfying and warm, which is also like weeing in your walking trousers when you're already saturated from a rainstorm in the winter.

Roy
PT Business: poshpollyprints.co.uk
Twitter: @pollardroy
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/roypollard/
Facebook: Roy Pollard

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #301 on: 16:13:24, 02/07/17 »

Glad you like it pleb! O0

Cheers - though I'm not sure whether you are mixing me up with another user or just referring to my social standing  ;D

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #302 on: 00:03:12, 03/07/17 »
But its like always having a Latte when you go into Cafe Nero - its strangely satisfying and warm, which is also like weeing in your walking trousers when you're already saturated from a rainstorm in the winter.
Roy

Somehow Cafe Nero will never seem the same again
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #303 on: 20:34:45, 03/07/17 »
Millets are selling a pack of two rubber tips for walking poles for £3 reduced from £5 and if you buy two packs you get the second pack half-price so you get 4 tips for £4.50.

Regards Keith

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #304 on: 08:06:41, 04/07/17 »
Millets are selling a pack of two rubber tips for walking poles for £3 reduced from £5 and if you buy two packs you get the second pack half-price so you get 4 tips for £4.50.

Regards Keith

More useful in the 'Bargain' thread?
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #305 on: 14:29:23, 04/07/17 »

Regards Keith

If they are the tips with concentric rings as a tread pattern I find they skid very easily when loaded, especially on grass or rock.
Solvitur Ambulando

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #306 on: 16:33:09, 04/07/17 »

If they are the tips with concentric rings as a tread pattern I find they skid very easily when loaded, especially on grass or rock.
These are the Eurohike http://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/147401-trekking-basket-and-dlx-rubber-tip.html. Couldn't find them on the website so maybe offer has expired. I've found they grip fine but I go through about two tips a years.
Regards Keith

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #307 on: 19:08:39, 04/07/17 »
These are the Eurohike http://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/147401-trekking-basket-and-dlx-rubber-tip.html. Couldn't find them on the website so maybe offer has expired. I've found they grip fine but I go through about two tips a years.
Regards Keith

I use a similar type, they grip better but like you I find they don't last - 2prs a year sounds about right.
Solvitur Ambulando

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #308 on: 12:24:23, 05/07/17 »
Somehow Cafe Nero will never seem the same again
Yes, but best not to be standing in Cafe Nero when doing so  :D
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #309 on: 12:30:06, 05/07/17 »
........ its like always having a Latte when you go into Cafe Nero - its strangely satisfying and warm, which is also like weeing in your walking trousers when you're already saturated from a rainstorm in the winter.

That's quite a disturbing thought  :D   :D  I'm not adverse to 'Al fresco' but I make sure my back is to the wind.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Swift and bold

« Reply #310 on: 16:33:00, 05/07/17 »
I bought a Thermarest NeoAir inflatable mattress earlier this year. Its main drwback is that its not self inflating, it takes me about 40 puffs which wears me out. Thermarest seels a battery powered pump but I settled for their low-tech answer. Its a yellow plastic bag with a hole in the end which fits over the open valve. All I have to do is roll up the bag and squeeze the air into the mattress. I inflated it at the weekend with just 4 goes. Its a good idea, no moving parts, no batteries and the bag weighs next to nothing. When not in use I can use it in my rucksack for storage.

Me too but I'm lazy and brought a stuff sack that doubles as a pump   O0

jethro10

« Reply #311 on: 18:32:07, 06/07/17 »
Well my Tarp Hat from another thread has arrived. Tarphat.co.uk
Wow it's amazing.
Looks so good. Wired brim. Also ordered a neck strap. Wifey decided to get one also. And I agree with her, it's the only hat she ever looked good in.
Thoroughly recommended. We ordered the "slight seconds" from eBay for less than £18 each, looks way more expensive.
These should be way more popular. So glad we ordered these instead of a Tilley, irregardless of price.

J

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #312 on: 20:06:10, 06/07/17 »
I just had an online look at a Tarphat. Hey, they look good, a real lived in look, for me better than wearing a hat where it looks if I just came from leafy surburbia. I'll seek one out if I can.

wobblyknees

« Reply #313 on: 22:16:53, 06/07/17 »
- its strangely satisfying and warm, which is also like weeing in your walking trousers when you're already saturated from a rainstorm in the winter.

Roy

An even more disturbing thought:
Have you heard of the 4 signs of Alzheimer's:

I. First you forget people's names.
2. Then their faces.
3.Then you forget to close your fly.
and worst of all
4. You forget to open your fly.

Wouldn't it be so much more hygienic just to unzip it.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #314 on: 15:40:07, 10/07/17 »
Bought an Osprey Stratos 26 as my new day pack and gave it its first outing on Saturday and was very impressed.  It lacks the stretchy front pocket of the Talon but feels very sturdy and was supremely comfortable, on a hot day.  The padded belt seems great and sits on the hips well, with enough space for a camera in one hip pocket and phone gps in the other.

Have been using a Talon 33 for a couple of years but it has taken a real battering after a couple of tumbles, so my son has taken it for a three week inter-rail trip round Italy - I suspect I'll not want it back, even if it comes back in one piece!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy