Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292341 times)

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #465 on: 22:21:08, 13/06/18 »

Yes of course I never thought of doing that when my trip maybe involving 3 or 4 shops by the time I have waited on the phone for their reply I could be in town!

My apologies I misunderstood what you meant by a 'specific trip'.

nesty

« Reply #466 on: 22:30:01, 13/06/18 »

My apologies I misunderstood what you meant by a 'specific trip'.

Specific trip covering being a few items etc my bad!
I do find places like Go are great for stock or finding out what stock there is beforehand.
It's a sad case rest of the high street shops don't do the same trend customer service as go. I think the high streets stores have shot themselves in the foot, as they don't make the experience enjoyable as it once used to be, poorly trained staff etc, stock levels low, high prices.
I am not surprised the high streets are suffering as there is so much competition from online though for any outdoor gear I try to support the bricks and mortar stores within the outdoor circles as such!
« Last Edit: 22:41:00, 13/06/18 by nesty »

FOX160

« Reply #467 on: 07:27:16, 17/06/18 »
Just purchased an hybrid jacket (in Blue) it works but it’s just getting your mind around it.
https://www.berghaus.com/mens-extrem-ulvetanna-hybrid-2.0-down-insulated-jacket/421916.html

marmottungsten

« Reply #468 on: 10:35:35, 17/06/18 »
Just purchased an hybrid jacket (in Blue) it works but it’s just getting your mind around it.
https://www.berghaus.com/mens-extrem-ulvetanna-hybrid-2.0-down-insulated-jacket/421916.html

I watched the video they provided and at 0:30 the sales guy says "the Hydrodown we use will stay dry for over 16 hours". 
Huh???  But what happens after that?  Does the hydrophobic coating on the down break down suddenly, allowing the down to get soaked and therefore useless?  Does the coating break down permanently?
A very strange thing to say in an advertising vid as it has put me off buying it!

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #469 on: 15:22:27, 17/06/18 »

I watched the video they provided and at 0:30 the sales guy says "the Hydrodown we use will stay dry for over 16 hours". 
Huh???  But what happens after that?  Does the hydrophobic coating on the down break down suddenly, allowing the down to get soaked and therefore useless?  Does the coating break down permanently?
A very strange thing to say in an advertising vid as it has put me off buying it!
Maybe this comment should have opened a new topic since you didn't actually purchase one????? In general most people try to stick to the subject.
I bought a long sleeved Merino base layer for £24.00 via sports direct. Recently tried one of their short sleeved ones and was pleased with it.
Too little, too late, too bad......

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #470 on: 11:52:23, 18/06/18 »
Man this forum is getting a bit catty of late...

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #471 on: 13:49:37, 18/06/18 »
Man this forum is getting a bit catty of late...
Sorry Neil. I'll go and eat humble  pie, or maybe leaves and berries. :-[
Too little, too late, too bad......

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #472 on: 14:08:59, 18/06/18 »

I have found that with an internal water bladder it is not easy to clean and you tend to lose track of how much / little you have drunk, rather than taking off the pack to get to water bottles I have been using a Heath-Robinson arrangement of elastics and 'bottle hangers' but finally decided to 'splash -out' (see what I did there ?) on water bottle holder that can be attached to my rucksack strap.

Spent a whole £2 on a cyclists water bottle holder, adjustable for all shapes and sizes of bottles, simple attachment to my shoulder strap and only weighs in at 35 grams.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #473 on: 14:33:38, 18/06/18 »
Sorry Neil. I'll go and eat humble  pie, or maybe leaves and berries. :-[

I wasn't just referring to you. Seems a couple of the newer members are attracting a few comments that don't seem entirely kind-hearted. I know people say some stupid things but it just reads a bit catty to me. Without new members forums tend to die so wouldn't want them put off.
« Last Edit: 15:50:50, 18/06/18 by NeilC »

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #474 on: 14:34:32, 18/06/18 »
I have found that with an internal water bladder it is not easy to clean and you tend to lose track of how much / little you have drunk, rather than taking off the pack to get to water bottles I have been using a Heath-Robinson arrangement of elastics and 'bottle hangers' but finally decided to 'splash -out' (see what I did there ?) on water bottle holder that can be attached to my rucksack strap.

Spent a whole £2 on a cyclists water bottle holder, adjustable for all shapes and sizes of bottles, simple attachment to my shoulder strap and only weighs in at 35 grams.

That's actually not an entirely bad idea.

marmottungsten

« Reply #475 on: 16:48:49, 18/06/18 »

My rucksack allows me to take out and replace each of the water bottles in the side pockets without having to take it off, but I have to twist my upper body a bit to do it which is obviously a little bit uncomfortable, so to make it easier I decided to buy a hydration tube adapter kit.  I bought it from a seller in Israel on ebay for under £32 inc postage.  It basically allows you to convert virtually any plastic water bottle (including PET bottles with a Sawyer Mini thread, Nalgene bottles and others) into a rigid water bladder.  It comes with a Silicone drinking hose and mouthpiece.  so you can drink on the move.  It's certainly not as cheap as a bike water bottle holder, but it's a lot more convenient, and you can buy various camo pattern or plain coloured cover tubes to cover the blue drinking tube to keep it camouflaged for when you are stealth camping.  I went for an insulated Neoprene cover in Drab Olive green  which costs £3.99 on ebay...It helps to keep your drinking water cooler in summer and prevents it freezing in the winter.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Source-Outdoor-SNEP-Convertube-Water-Bottle-Adapter-Into-A-Hydration-System-Kit/273127785189?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Insulated-Thermal-Hydration-TUBE-COVER-Camelbak-Water-Bladder-Neoprene-Platypus/191291190915?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=490405825526&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
« Last Edit: 16:54:12, 18/06/18 by marmottungsten »

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #476 on: 18:59:38, 18/06/18 »
I don't like the internal water bladder pockets on rucksacks, a, they take up space that could be better used for something more useful. b, Platypus's do  leak from time to tome, so you'd end up with water inside your pack. c, They're a pain to get your platypus out of to refill.

I have mesh pockets on my pack so I just stuff mine in there and thread the tube up over my shoulder.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #477 on: 19:52:21, 18/06/18 »
you can buy various camo pattern or plain coloured cover tubes to cover the blue drinking tube to keep it camouflaged for when you are stealth camping.  

I think people would see you before they saw the tube, do you wear camo clothes too  :D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #478 on: 00:25:32, 19/06/18 »
I just bought these for nice dry days when I'm not walking up High Tove.
https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/meindl-womens-respond-xcr-shoe-B2222142.html?colour=105

At the moment, I have a pair of Merrils - in hindsight I should have taken them back when I bought them about 4 years ago, because they have always been a bit tight across the top of my foot, and I develop a very tender callus on my little toe if I wear them for a couple days.  With that in mind I had the poor guy in Cotswold Outdoors get out just about every pair of trail shoes in my size, including the mens, so I could make sure I got the absolute proper fit.The very curious thing about these trail shoes though, is that my nice new Meindl, woman's size 8, are probably a full cm longer than my Merrills, and they feel wider too.  German sizing versus American sizing?
PS 15% of Cotswold Outdoors if you are a member of the National Trust
« Last Edit: 00:29:36, 19/06/18 by dittzzy »

Beth FF

« Reply #479 on: 17:06:02, 19/06/18 »

That sounds exactly the thing I'm after. As you say, there are potential hygiene issues with a water bladder, and I'm finding carrying water bottles in my rucksack really awkward - out of sight out of mind and having to take my pack off whenever I need a sip is a bit of a PITA. Even carrying bottles in my side panels is awkward as I still need to remove the pack or risk pulling a muscle in my side as I twist to reach them! What bottle holder did you get and where did you buy it?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy