Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292200 times)

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #480 on: 17:12:56, 19/06/18 »
What bottle holder did you get and where did you buy it?

I got the one in the picture above.
Two-pounds and some pennies, delivered within 48 hours.
Will take "standard" shop 500ml water bottles, 650ml cyclists 'chubby bottles' and some of the real 'fat wide mouth' bottles.

I have used a couple of cable ties to attach it thru the screw holes and into the 'daisy chain' on my shoulder straps - I reckon if you don't have daisy-chain straps then it would be pretty easy to sew it on.

Been out walking today - its so nice to be able to reach the bottle without dislocating my shoulder or pulling a muscle trying to reach the mesh side-pockets.

Edit to add a link - it was this one;
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adjustable-Mountain-Bike-Mount-Cycling-Bicycle-Water-Bottle-Cup-Holder-Cage-Rack/253237049309?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #481 on: 17:42:06, 19/06/18 »
I've just bought a 'shoulder holster' made by Deuter for £15, which I can wear under or over my baselayer when hiking and it can stay strapped to me comfortably when I'm sleeping as well. Not a bargain cost wise, but I specifically looked for a soft material holster with zipped pockets that would hold my phone, passport and cards in zipped compartments. It also comes with an elasticated strap that goes around the waist. Its all do do with my new policy of being more security conscious with these things.

I saw similar items on Amazon but the photos were not good enough for me to know if they were any good or not, so I played safe with the Deuter.

I'm also using a smaller Forclaz neck holster from Decathlon on a day to day basis, rather than just putting my phone in my shirt pocket, or stuffing it in my trouser pocket. I now feel better about how best to carry my cards around this way as well.

I'll obviously never be fully secured but my new way feels much better now than before.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #482 on: 19:13:05, 19/06/18 »
Ive just returned from a great trip to both Orkney and the Shetland isles.
Whilst looking around Lerwick last Saturday afternoon, it was a struggle to find anything to buy, so i bought a rather nice waterproof coat for just £18.
Its made by a company called Highlander, and its their Pack & Go model.

It may not be the most technical bit of kit out there, but its surprisingly well made for something so cheap,  and has one heck of a good hood, with good adjusters, a lot better than far more expensive jackets ive tried on.

Why did i buy it ?  well i had to have something to remind me of my trip to Shetland, and its the kind of waterproof one can hide away in the car just incase you get caught in the rain.

I know there are far better waterproofs available, but i very much doubt anyone will find a similar spec fully waterproof coat for such little money, and its surprisingly breathable as well, as i wore the thing to walk around Lerwick in fairly warm conditions.

No sweat or condensation built up inside, so for £18, i was much impressed.
« Last Edit: 19:16:53, 19/06/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Beth FF

« Reply #483 on: 19:19:06, 19/06/18 »
Thanks Alan  :) I'm also considering making a water holder from paracord and a carabiner (seen a video in YouTube) as I like a craft project.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #484 on: 19:22:18, 19/06/18 »
Thanks Alan  :) I'm also considering making a water holder from paracord and a carabiner (seen a video in YouTube) as I like a craft project.

That's what I was using - to be honest, no comparison to the 'bike water carrier'.
With the paracord slip-loop, its either banging about like a weight on a pendulum, or it loosens off and drops out.
I made them with cord-loks which should have performed better than paracord slip-knots.

Beth FF

« Reply #485 on: 19:28:45, 19/06/18 »
I've bought more kit too  :D Just received my Paramo Alize windprof and water"proof" very lightweight jacket. I wanted something that didn't add warmth, like my Paramo Valez smock does, but was more suitable for spring to autumn weather. It also had to be at light as possible and this really is pretty good in that area. Not had a chance to try it in the rain yet but water certainly beads off it, but it was great in the hills on Sunday when it was mild but windy. Carmine red and orange...like a beacon!  :D
Also just ordered another pair of Salomon trail-running shoes. I already walk in running shoes - a Saucony road pair for tarmac or good surfaces, and a pair of Salomon goretex trail runners for rough and/or muddy terrain - but I wanted something that had excellent grip (like my other trail runners) but with a mesh top so they're cooler in the summer.

tom83

« Reply #486 on: 21:24:56, 19/06/18 »
I have found that with an internal water bladder it is not easy to clean and you tend to lose track of how much / little you have drunk, rather than taking off the pack to get to water bottles I have been using a Heath-Robinson arrangement of elastics and 'bottle hangers' but finally decided to 'splash -out' (see what I did there ?) on water bottle holder that can be attached to my rucksack strap.

Spent a whole £2 on a cyclists water bottle holder, adjustable for all shapes and sizes of bottles, simple attachment to my shoulder strap and only weighs in at 35 grams.

This is superb. A genuinely very good idea. I may have to rig something similar up for myself, as I struggle to reach my backpack's side pockets.

In other news, my boy actually made me my Fathers Day present this year, and Im made up with it.

A walking stick with my initials in it. Ignore the mess on the table, we are getting the boys DofE kit together.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #487 on: 06:24:43, 20/06/18 »

Berghaus 'Deluge' overtrousers; £35 from Blacks in Aviemore (reduced from £60). Quite decent, with zips most of the way up the sides.

PS - like the stick, Tom!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #488 on: 17:04:58, 20/06/18 »
Just bought a Vaude Poncho from Amazon £36.00 in green the Blue was much more expensive. Was going to buy an Altus but due to rereading various threads on ponchos over the years on this forum decided to go for the Vaude when it was at such a good price.  My old cheapo poncho may become a small tarp for use with a bivi, if I can be tempted to buy one. The idea appeals when it is nice and warm.A couple of days in the allotment will be followed by my previously aborted walk along the Wall in God's countryside.
Too little, too late, too bad......

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #489 on: 15:03:24, 21/06/18 »
I took Gunwharfman's lead and got some Decathlon running underwear - briefs and boxers. Very cheap and look decent. I've been meaning to get some synthetic underwear for ages after many trips with sodden cotton M&S boxers: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/breathable-boxers-id_8489345.html

Whilst I was there I noticed they have their Helium windproofs back on the shelves so got one of those. £15.99 for a 110g windproof is good value. Fits well, the DWR works under the tap test. Not so sure about the design but it's time I bought some things that weren't black or grey: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/fh500-helium-wind-mens-jacket-id_8492440.html

I was reading on some site about a fellow Paramo user who packs a windproof to go with his Quito and puts it over that in the case of really hard, prolonged rain. He says the windproof makes a big difference, taking the brunt of the rain and stopping it getting into pit zips etc. I.e no random wet-outs. So I'm thinking that could be a nice combo

marmottungsten

« Reply #490 on: 15:40:47, 21/06/18 »
I took Gunwharfman's lead and got some Decathlon running underwear - briefs and boxers. Very cheap and look decent. I've been meaning to get some synthetic underwear for ages after many trips with sodden cotton M&S boxers: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/breathable-boxers-id_8489345.html

Whilst I was there I noticed they have their Helium windproofs back on the shelves so got one of those. £15.99 for a 110g windproof is good value. Fits well, the DWR works under the tap test. Not so sure about the design but it's time I bought some things that weren't black or grey: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/fh500-helium-wind-mens-jacket-id_8492440.html

Wind proof?...The small print says it's wing proof...So you should be fine if you disturb a flock of pigeons up on a mountain!  :D

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #491 on: 10:58:58, 22/06/18 »
I just gave my son £50 for his 'old' (two years) 32" TV and its now my PC monitor. I define it as a walking kit purchase because I can now watch You Tube and Vimeo films of the walks that I have done on a BIG screen. Its great!

Nomad32

« Reply #492 on: 21:39:14, 23/06/18 »
My latest purchase is a set of sea to summit dry bags to keep my sleeping bag and down jacket dry and my gear organised. Ok now my bag has become a Russian doll of sorts but I like it.

marmottungsten

« Reply #493 on: 00:10:43, 24/06/18 »
My latest purchase is a set of sea to summit dry bags to keep my sleeping bag and down jacket dry and my gear organised. Ok now my bag has become a Russian doll of sorts but I like it.

I got myself a lightweight 100% water proof rucksack instead, so I don't need to carry the extra weight of a rucksack cover (at least 80g) or the weight of several drybags.  If you bought the lightweight set of 3 drybags (1, 2 and 4 litre) then they weigh a total of 142g...so this has reduced my base weight by nearly 250g.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #494 on: 07:15:48, 24/06/18 »

I got myself a lightweight 100% water proof rucksack instead, so I don't need to carry the extra weight of a rucksack cover (at least 80g) or the weight of several drybags.  If you bought the lightweight set of 3 drybags (1, 2 and 4 litre) then they weigh a total of 142g...so this has reduced my base weight by nearly 250g.

Knowing that no rucksack is going to be always 100% watertight I use a 'garden waste' heavy duty bin bag, weight 47g, cost a few pennies.
Fits inside the pack as a 'liner', top rolls over, does the job for me.

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy