Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292366 times)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #675 on: 23:42:25, 06/03/19 »
I got it on offer two weeks ago from Camping Direct Online.I then got another ten per cent discount on the sale price because I filled in everything as if I was going to buy but delayed finishing  the transaction for a few days and they sent me the discount offer. I only delayed because I was away from home and didn't want a failed delivery.
Those pouches look good, less bulk than the sandwich box type cooker. I may give those a try.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Litehiker

« Reply #676 on: 03:07:01, 09/03/19 »
1. REI FLASH Insulated All Season (R5.3) air mattress for winter camping - 1 lb. 3 oz.
2. Eddie Bauer PEAK XV expedition down parka (good to -30 F., -25 C.) fully baffled & the hood is helmet compatible for skiing & climbing
I have experienced -40 F./C. and I'm sure this parka is OK at that temperature. (On a 50% off sale!!)
3.eight MSR Ground Hog tent stakes (At an outrageous US $2.95 each + an equally outrageous 8.3% tax) But these are the best light tent stakes.

Earlier this year:
 Council Took Wood Crafter's camp axe (looks like a Hudson's Bay short axe) For canoe and car camping, it has a 17" handle.

Eric B.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #677 on: 12:03:44, 09/03/19 »
I've just bought a £15 Champion brand long waterproof coat. I plan to use it in my quest to completely separate the need to keep dry, from my other, more important (as I see it) clothing purchases, when I have to deal with the other weather conditions, cold, wind and so on. I started hiking by buying an expensive bottom length waterproof jacket, waterproof trousers, waterproof gaiters and waterproof boots, but I was never happy with this arrangment.

I especially dislike waterproof trousers, just makes me hot and sweaty in all of the wrong places and are always a faff to put on and off. I'm going to use the Champion long coat as a testbed to try to prove to myself that I can stay dry, without having to make any future large financial 'waterproof' clothing outlays on what is marketed as sophiscated high tec waterproof clothing.

I also run off road and my coat can be worn as I run in the rain. Did it yesterday, it worked well.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #678 on: 08:55:29, 10/03/19 »

Walking pole £5 from Go with shock absorber function.
Has just performed perfectly on a week's walking in the Alpajurras.

The Leki I'd bought turned out not to have shock absorbancy so the Go was a panic buy the day we flew out. The Leki is going back.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

taxino8

« Reply #679 on: 12:09:14, 10/03/19 »
Two pairs of Alpkit Merino wool undies!
As I don’t buy normal stuff and haven’t got a clue what stuff costs my wife couldn’t believe it when I told her I paid £17, she said “that’s mad for two pairs of undies”.
I then said no, they were in a sale and they were £17 per pair, she nearly fell over!
They are very nice to wear though but again she was not impressed when I told her she had to hand wash them and hang to dry, no tumble dryer.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #680 on: 12:15:32, 10/03/19 »
Two pairs of Alpkit Merino wool undies!
As I don’t buy normal stuff and haven’t got a clue what stuff costs my wife couldn’t believe it when I told her I paid £17, she said “that’s mad for two pairs of undies”.
I then said no, they were in a sale and they were £17 per pair, she nearly fell over!
They are very nice to wear though but again she was not impressed when I told her she had to hand wash them and hang to dry, no tumble dryer.
Mrs BFM’s view is that you should do your own hand washing  ;D

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #681 on: 12:50:27, 10/03/19 »
Mrs BFM’s view is that you should do your own hand washing  ;D

I agree - I always manage to wash my own hands, but clothes are the responsibility of SWMBO.

taxino8

« Reply #682 on: 12:52:47, 10/03/19 »

I agree - I always manage to wash my own hands, but clothes are the responsibility of SWMBO.
I'm with you 110% on that one.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #683 on: 12:59:53, 10/03/19 »
My view is it's whoever gets to the washing machine first with a few spare minutes.  Not sure anyone does much ironing these days!

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #684 on: 13:30:28, 10/03/19 »
A bit gimmicky, but a rather nice Titanium mug.
Came from Hong Kong for £4.75, and comparing it with a genuine titanium cutlery set i own, its the real deal.
Probably does not weigh much less than a normal mug, but for less than a £5 it was a worthy addition to enjoy a favourite cuppa.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #685 on: 13:41:36, 10/03/19 »
A bit gimmicky, but a rather nice Titanium mug.
Came from Hong Kong for £4.75, and comparing it with a genuine titanium cutlery set i own, its the real deal.
Probably does not weigh much less than a normal mug, but for less than a £5 it was a worthy addition to enjoy a favourite cuppa.

Quite like the X-cup for these purposes, but shiny titanium does clink nicely too!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #686 on: 15:44:26, 10/03/19 »
Pack of 3 refillable lighters from Poundland to light my new MSR2 pocket rocket stove  :)
Where there's a will ...

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #687 on: 14:51:40, 22/03/19 »

A Global Distress 'Personal Location beacon'.

In the event of an accident it sends a GPS location signal up to satellites, which then forwards the location to your nearest SAR centre, who then come to find you.

You register it with Falmouth Coastguard and they retain details of next of kin, and your details etc. etc. so they can inform people if you are 'missing'.

Works anywhere on the planet where you can get GPS and no phone signal needed.

Works on Land, Sea and Air.
This one is about the size of a 'small mobile phone'
 They cost about £200-£300. Batteries cost £80-£100

http://www.cactusnav.com/mcmurdo-fa...hd5_I83GmfSz8h7x31TUmFde0tPYvEM4aAvVKEALw_wcB

This one was on Gumtree at £40 with a 'battery replace date' of October 2023.

[The Fast Find 220 Personal Locator Beacon (PL B) gives you the reassurance of a last resort safeguard against any life threatening incidents that may occur anywhere in the world. If you find yourself in a remote area without any other form of emergency communication, on land or at sea, your Fast Find 220 can call for help. When triggered, the Fast Find 220 transmits a unique serialised ID to the Cospas-Sarsat satellite system which can pinpoint your location anywhere on the earth’s surface. This is typically within 5 minutes, but can be up to 45 minutes depending on satellite coverage. The Rescue Coordination Centre (RCC) then forwards the details of the emergency to the appropriate local Search And Rescue (SAR) services. Waterproof and fully submersible to 10 metres, the Fast Find 220 features an inbuilt GPS receiver that can pinpoint your location to within a few metres. Dense tree cover or a steep-sided canyon can sometimes make it difficult for the GPS to obtain a position fix. If this is the case, the satellites will still be able to pinpoint your approximate location and the unit’s secondary homing transmitter enables SAR teams to home in on your exact location once they are in the vicinity. The unit also features a flashing SOS light which can be used to attract attention.]
« Last Edit: 14:56:32, 22/03/19 by alan de enfield »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #688 on: 15:51:01, 22/03/19 »
Why Falmouth coastguard  :-\
Where there's a will ...

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #689 on: 15:56:39, 22/03/19 »
Why Falmouth coastguard  :-\

They just happen to be the UK Government's office for EPIRB & PLB registration and SAR Co-Ordination centre.
They take the 'incoming' call from the satellites and then notify/activate the closest SAR team to the co-ordinates given.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy