Author Topic: Sony cybershot?  (Read 5313 times)

lostme1

• Veteran Member
Re: Sony cybershot?
« Reply #30 on: 22:58:45, 07/03/19 »
There are white balance settings for sun, cloud, shade and others I can't remember without checking on the camera. They make a difference on my Sony HX90V.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 08:43:25, 08/03/19 »
I have to admit I never fiddle with any of the settings on my Sony. I have it on the gold coloured auto setting and +1 on the exposure dial all the time. The pics on the camera screen are more or less the same when I upload them to my pc before any editing. Sorry I'm not an expert with cameras, I tend to lose concentration after 10 seconds if I look at the camera manual  :-[
Hate will never win

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 13:37:46, 08/03/19 »
The problem with auto WB is that the camera is looking for a balanced colour approximating to its internal standard for white. If the picture is dominated by a colour, the auto WB setting will interpret this as an unwanted colour cast and try to remove it. A green colour cast is quite common under fluorescent lighting. Cloudy and shade settings will tend to make the resultant photo redder than it would have otherwise been to compensate for the loss of red tones in these situations. Selecting one of these is useful for enhancing sunsets and sunrises. Our brains have built in auto WB, so we often don’t notice the colour casts and paper will appear white to us under fluorescent light. This also m Ames us tend to remember sunsets as more vivid than the camera captures.

Auto settings can help at the beginning, but they often reduce the quality of the photo, as the camera just follows pre-programmed rules and doesn’t know what you are trying to achieve.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 14:36:46, 08/03/19 »
I have to admit I never fiddle with any of the settings on my Sony. I have it on the gold coloured auto setting and +1 on the exposure dial all the time. The pics on the camera screen are more or less the same when I upload them to my pc before any editing. Sorry I'm not an expert with cameras, I tend to lose concentration after 10 seconds if I look at the camera manual  :-[

I was the same, April, and got some ok results. Then I started my night school photography course and now I rarely use auto - I use aperture, shutter priority and full manual options.  Of course my photos are now, virtually without exception, cr@p. >:( ;D

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 18:13:06, 08/03/19 »
When I did evening classes in photography for beginners we were given an assignment to take shots of reflections. So I went to Wembley Park where just down the road from the station there was a big modern office block made with reflective glass.
I set my tripod up and zoomed in and out getting reflections of the trees on the glass, and the next thing I knew I was grabbed by three security guards.
Now I knew that technically there's nothing to stop you photographing anything you want, but it seemed that this building was the HQ of a company called BASF and they had some pretty high security stuff in there, so they didn't like people setting up cameras and taking pictures of their windows!

Kukkudrill

« Reply #35 on: 21:46:11, 08/03/19 »
I used my Cybershot WX-60 again yesterday, and one thing I was reminded of that I should have mentioned in my earlier post is that most of the time, as soon as I turn the camera on to take a picture the colours look very washed out on the lcd screen, and that is how the resulting shots look too.

Does that signify anything particular to the experts out there?

An example follows, a picture "straight off the camera" and the same shot after editing:

Problem seems to me to be lack of contrast, rather than incorrect white balance. By any chance is the lens clean?
Make the most of the available light

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 11:13:44, 05/04/19 »
Do I need to bother with the sony play memories thing? Havent downloaded it, camera takes pics ok without it.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 11:44:59, 05/04/19 »
When I did evening classes in photography for beginners we were given an assignment to take shots of reflections. So I went to Wembley Park where just down the road from the station there was a big modern office block made with reflective glass.
I set my tripod up and zoomed in and out getting reflections of the trees on the glass, and the next thing I knew I was grabbed by three security guards.
Now I knew that technically there's nothing to stop you photographing anything you want, but it seemed that this building was the HQ of a company called BASF and they had some pretty high security stuff in there, so they didn't like people setting up cameras and taking pictures of their windows!
I was outside the Cube building in Birmingham taking photos of it, and a security guy came and told me I cannot take photos. I told him I can take photos anywhere in a public area of anything that is in public view. That is the law. I did grant him the possibility I might be standing on private ground which was very close to the building, so I moved back a tad, & it helped him save face which personally I think helps...however I never take pics anywhere near children so as not to create any false ideas. Even at my daughters school I always leave it to my wife to take shots. I get paranoid otherwise.
I used my Cybershot WX-60 again yesterday, and one thing I was reminded of that I should have mentioned in my earlier post is that most of the time, as soon as I turn the camera on to take a picture the colours look very washed out on the lcd screen, and that is how the resulting shots look too.

Does that signify anything particular to the experts out there?

An example follows, a picture "straight off the camera" and the same shot after editing:

It might need contrast increasing in camera with the settings but those two photos look like they were taken on a cloudy day?..and the type of light when taking photos is one of the most important things to consider...I love taking photos on a sunny day when the sky is blue...the blue to my mind always looks good and the sunlight creates more contrast...(within reason) I might also turn the exposure down a tad, so as not to over expose pics though...

A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 13:52:05, 05/04/19 »
Do I need to bother with the sony play memories thing? Havent downloaded it, camera takes pics ok without it.
No you don’t have to O0
I did though
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 19:49:14, 07/04/19 »
Thanks to everyone who provided suggestions regarding the problems with my Cybershot WX-60, which I've only just caught up with (or for Ninthace's benefit, up with which I've only just caught). Somehow I missed seeing the more recent posts until now.
For the time being I am making do with my Photo Cleaner freeware, but I have copied every idea onto a note and when I have the time I will have a good old fiddle with the camera.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy